WiFi, tests and CircuitCo (2011-06-17)

While I have had my Pandora for a couple of months now, I'm still trying to bite my non-existent nails every time I see something else crop up that delays it for others.

Keep strong folks. When this finally gets into your hands you're going to instantly forget anything you went through. Even seeing the problems being solved in the alpha hotfixes is worth the whole process if you're what ED calls a "fanboy". The interactivity of how it's being done, the feedback from the community, the releases and testing being done makes it fun to own it even if you don't use it for anything else. Without being a developer or an OP team member I still feel part of the process asking a question here and there or just by posting something on these boards.

I wish all console/gadget manufacturers were like this. If you get what the Pandora is you will understand what I mean. I've never seen anything approaching this device and the community around it and would gladly start waiting all over if I had the cash to order another. Damn, seeing a full FF 4 (hell, even Firefox 5 beta now!) running on it brings tears of awe/marvel/joy to my eyes because I remember drooling at the sight of an unaffordable laptop some ten years ago and now I have a Pandora hanging from my belt using the, lol, super-tight-fitting-Pandora-body-hugging case :D

Seeing what I've just written here this looks a bit of a useless post but I wish I could really convey how I feel about this project to everyone who is holding on so you might get a bit of a morale uplift if the current issues were getting you down.

P.S. This post was obviously inspired by ED's so I think a big THANK YOU ED, all of OPT and the community is in order here!!

Thanks, if you look back at most hardware manufacturers which started from nothing their first device was usually a bumpy ride, but the experience you gain during that run is what makes your future products far superior.

If there is a Pandora2 it's unlikely there will be preordering (we managed to avoid that with the iCP for example), it's very likely we will use almost all the same 'fixed' methods of production and parts too (faster SoC etc. though, obviously), which will lead to a very solid product.

So I hope we can further reward you all with a most amazing sequel console at some point and of course you will have helped to make it happen, just try to stay cool with us as we go though this baptism of fire.

If it's at all possible to be a bit more frequent with these posts, even if they have nothing but bad news in them (like this one), it would be really appreciated. One official update a month only adds to the complete and utter certainty I have that I'm never holding this thing in my hands. I know you guys are trying your best. Obviously if you could ship them like crazy you would.

But that doesn't make the wait (and while mine is definitely 1.25 years+ at this point, it pales next to some) any easier.

Thanks and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, I'd like to emphasize that we'll still try anything possible to keep the Pandora going!

We WILL work our asses off, if need be! As long as you want the Pandora, we'll try to get it to you!

Thanks!

ED, you guys've been working your asses off for years. I don't actually believe any of you have an ass left. ...Hey, you could also sell the Pandora as a diet device! That's yet another feature that no other device actually has...

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to recieve mine en hoping it will not take very long voor CircuitCo to fix the WiFi issue!!!

the 300 boards a month is their rate with or without the new tests procedure?

ED, I'm glad I've ordered my pandy from you. I really appreciate your precise updates. B)

I hope regular SD-cards will still be on sale generally by the time I receive my machine ;)

In the mean time, the software will get more mature, so the satisfaction will be greater once I'll receive the package.

I hope the DOSBox port will be up to a level that it can run (almost) all games for DOS running on 640x480.

I'd love to contribute to that as well, but I'd need a solid test environment which can emulate at least the keyboard and the touchscreen of a Pandora.

On another post people suggested the use of Qemu for that, but I can't get that working. The emulated machine won't even boot.

Unfortunately, the thread got diverted over a definition squabble, hurting TrashyMG's feelings in the process (sorry there).

Still, if such a testbed existed, the many of us who are still waiting for their Pandora to arrive would be able to contribute to the project in a meaningful way.

Any thoughts on that?

ED, I'm glad I've ordered my pandy from you. I really appreciate your precise updates. B)

I hope regular SD-cards will still be on sale generally by the time I receive my machine ;)

In the mean time, the software will get more mature, so the satisfaction will be greater once I'll receive the package.

I hope the DOSBox port will be up to a level that it can run (almost) all games for DOS running on 640x480.

I'd love to contribute to that as well, but I'd need a solid test environment which can emulate at least the keyboard and the touchscreen of a Pandora.

On another post people suggested the use of Qemu for that, but I can't get that working. The emulated machine won't even boot.

Unfortunately, the thread got diverted over a definition squabble, hurting TrashyMG's feelings in the process (sorry there).

Still, if such a testbed existed, the many of us who are still waiting for their Pandora to arrive would be able to contribute to the project in a meaningful way.

Any thoughts on that?

I don't really recall getting my feeling hurt.. I do remember going on a rant on usage of the term PC (Personal Computer). But that's the inner "old man shaking his fist at kids on his lawn" manifesting itself.

Just some quick update:

While I haven't got any information about WiFi yet, CC asked some questions on the new testing SD card image I sent them on Friday as well as asked if I can implement one more feature.

This is proof they actually downloaded, created and tested that testing image the same day I sent it to them, which is a good thing I guess :)

Thank you very much for the update! Small but comforting updates are always MORE than welcome! The periods that lack any news is what I find the hardest. Even a simple "no news about (insert topic here) yet." once a week beats silence.

Also give us a heads-up when you get a new batch of boards. (so we know the tap is flowing again) ;)

yay, more waiting!

Well, both doesn't make much sense. Everyone can have his own opinion about the Pandora. Fans, please understand that not everyone sees the Pandora as something valuable. That's their right, and if they can explain why, there's no reason to insult them.

Well, the reason is probably that this way, you can be promoted to mod status. forgive me my sarcasm.

Thanks for the news ED.

Hoping the production will take up back quickly :huh: But great to read the progress, which is REALLYYYYYYYY important :p

Bravery and Spirit

Adding my voice to people asking about the TV out cables, I haven't heard any update regarding these for weeks (months?) now.

I wouldn't worry about that, SDHC cards won't be going away anytime soon. Also Pandora can use SDXC cards, albeit at SDHC speeds.

More ass working off, please. I heard "within a month" 2 months ago, and silly me, I actually believed it (again).

I don't like reading "why" things are the way they are. That comforts some people, but it troubles me. Now I'm worried I'll get a defective one with all the problems I've heard about.

Good news, though! Some people said the Pandora won't happen until Duke Nukem Forever comes out. Well it did!

Back