Where Is My £200 Handheld?

christo930 posted on May 28 2009 at 12:06 AM said:
Your probably right, we are just talking theoretical. It is my personal opinion that they chose too high of a price point for the Pandora.
It is my personal opinion that you don't know what you're talking about. They asked US to choose. They asked the community to choose between a handheld with an i.MX31 SoC that would be around the GP2X price range, or a handheld with the OMAP SoC that would be ~$400. We chose the more powerful system. If it's not your price, sucks for you. I'm glad. I was expecting to pay $400, and I got $70 off and extra features! (256 MB RAM and 512 MB NAND).

lulzfish posted on May 28 2009 at 02:11 AM said:
I don't travel long distances that often, but I'll be using the Pandora a lot as a PDA, so it will alternate between long segments of low-power mode and minimal use [Maybe check the GP32X forums, answer a few posts, and put it away again]

And I hate having to plug in my laptop everywhere. I have a huge desktop replacement that needs two hands to carry, so the power adapter requires either a backpack, an extra hand, or a second trip. And I have to stay within like 6 feet of an outlet, too.

I don't need 10 or 12 hours of battery, but it will make the Pandora much more enjoyable.
+1

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think this device is a steal at its current price. I'm very happy with the pricing, even though I paid 310€ (~$430) because of taxes and whatever.

Ya know I always love these "Where is my Pandora DAMMIT!" threads. Everyone that pre-ordered this machine more or less "invested" their money in the potential of the device with the (should have been) understanding that it is developing technology and that nothing is guaranteed until the product has rolled off the assembly line. Given the level of technology that is being offered, the potential capabilities of the device, and the limited resources and personnel available for development I think the project has gone quite well with the many circumstances encountered. Not perfect of course but quite well. That alone has given me the patience to quietly await the release of this awesome system. Some may not want to hear it but you were a fool if you weren't willing to be patient and wait out the production time.

because of taxes and whatever.
I agree -- and IIRC i paid ~306€ for it (now ~426 USD) -- and again IIRC that was pandora+VAT (B-Zar: ALV :) "]+air mail shipping.[/quote]*back to waiting*...

Weren't Pandoras supposed to be sent from Europe to European buyers? You don't have to pay Finnish taxes then because of EU. So no ALV. For the first batch the price is said to be 199 GBP(incl. VAT). 1 GBP is around 1.14€ so the price would be less than 240€ with shipping.

jormajoo posted on May 28 2009 at 11:16 PM) Weren't Pandoras supposed to be sent from Europe to European buyers? You don't have to pay Finnish taxes then because of EU. So no ALV. For the first batch the price is said to be 199 GBP(incl. VAT said:
. 1 GBP is around 1.14€ so the price would be less than 240€ with shipping.
Mine was £273.40. Paying £199 a year ago would have been nice, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

God Ginrai posted on May 28 2009 at 06:36 PM) [quote="christo930 posted on May 28 2009 at 12:06 AM said:
Your probably right, we are just talking theoretical. It is my personal opinion that they chose too high of a price point for the Pandora.
It is my personal opinion that you don't know what you're talking about. They asked US to choose. They asked the community to choose between a handheld with an i.MX31 SoC that would be around the GP2X price range, or a handheld with the OMAP SoC that would be ~$400. We chose the more powerful system. If it's not your price, sucks for you. I'm glad. I was expecting to pay $400, and I got $70 off and extra features! (256 MB RAM and 512 MB NAND"].

lulzfish posted on May 28 2009 at 02:11 AM said:
I don't travel long distances that often, but I'll be using the Pandora a lot as a PDA, so it will alternate between long segments of low-power mode and minimal use [Maybe check the GP32X forums, answer a few posts, and put it away again]

And I hate having to plug in my laptop everywhere. I have a huge desktop replacement that needs two hands to carry, so the power adapter requires either a backpack, an extra hand, or a second trip. And I have to stay within like 6 feet of an outlet, too.

I don't need 10 or 12 hours of battery, but it will make the Pandora much more enjoyable.
+1

-God Ginrai[/quote]The Sharp Zaurus c series sells for about $599 (if they are still available) and is somewhat comparable to the Pandora (it's not a game system though). There will be people who will buy the Pandora at any price (well, within reason) and there are probably enough of them to keep the project going and profitable and I hope they are successful. I do think they priced it out of the range of many people. When I was in my 20's, I would definitely have bought it. Hopefully it will be a success. A successful Pandora should be good for everyone here. I would think that some of it will spill over into the lower end systems like the wiz, gp2x and dingoo.

Chris

I guess I got lucky, but I only had to pay ~$270 for mine due to currency exchange rate fluctuations ;)

jormajoo posted on May 29 2009 at 01:16 AM) Weren't Pandoras supposed to be sent from Europe to European buyers? You don't have to pay Finnish taxes then because of EU. So no ALV. For the first batch the price is said to be 199 GBP(incl. VAT said:
. 1 GBP is around 1.14€ so the price would be less than 240€ with shipping.
They're all made in USA, shipped to UK, then from there to everyone (I'll dig around of you need a reference, but...). And wasnt there a text on the openpandora.org frontpage some time back saying that it's 330 USD without any taxes. Now its just "It's $330" ... hmm

and there are probably enough of them to keep the project going and profitable and I hope they are successful. I do think they priced it out of the range of many people. When I was in my 20's, I would definitely have bought it. Hopefully it will be a success. A successful Pandora should be good for everyone here. I would think that some of it will spill over into the lower end systems like the wiz, gp2x and dingoo.

Chris
The Zaurus C series aren't even in the same league as the Pandora.

Even with a decent distribution, they're awkward to use landscape (touchscreen < analogue nub as mouse), they don't have inbuilt wifi, nor bluetooth, and while the hardware is nice the community software is simply too hacked together.

I spent a stack of money on a C3200 and a ton of time trying to get it to behave how I wanted without success. I firmly believe the Pandora has things right where the Zaurus was wrong.

devhace posted on May 27 2009 at 01:14 PM said:
You could be in N. Korea where millions are starving and their asshole dictator threw all the humanitarian workers out of the country and is putting resources into the army and nuclear bombs while his citizens live in starvation and poverty. You could be in S. Korea wondering if the North is going to invade tomorrow or maybe nuke you. You could be a woman in Saudi Arabia...
Or you could be living in Hull...

This is something I learned a while ago-- the Pandora is, essentially, a very ambitious indie product.

I like indie stuff, it's always more innovative, interesting, and often better designed and built. But that said, there IS a trade off, and that is that they have to work twice as hard and twice as long.

So. Um. Yeah. This thread, therefor, is mildly hilarious.

Hi. I'm new.

This is something I learned a while ago-- the Pandora is, essentially, a very ambitious indie product.

I like indie stuff, it's always more innovative, interesting, and often better designed and built. But that said, there IS a trade off, and that is that they have to work twice as hard and twice as long.

So. Um. Yeah. This thread, therefor, is mildly hilarious.

Hi. I'm new.

Hi, I'm old.

Back