Where Is My £200 Handheld?

Exophase posted on May 27 2009 at 08:35 PM said:
christo930 posted on May 27 2009 at 08:16 PM said:
With the dollar dropping like a stone, it might go up from there.
Is the dollar actually still dropping like a stone? Looks like it stabilized around February and has then been trending up since, although I've only looked at relative performance to other currencies. Not sure if there's really any other way of valuing one.
The dollar dropped all last week down to 80 and with the treasury selling bonds like crazy, I expect it to drop further.
There has been a lot of inflation since the crash.

Chris

Another way to value a currency is how is measures against gold. The price of gold has resumed it's rally. There's no way to know for sure, but I think once the 1000 barrier is broken, it will rise even faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso posted on May 27 2009 at 08:22 AM said:
clippa posted on May 27 2009 at 11:10 PM said:
Craig will even tease you by flashing a bit of leg once a month on youtube to a pet shop boys song. Hellollo sailor!
Sorry for the analogy, my mind was elsewhere.
Now mine is.
Craig: give us our Pandoras. Or some leg. Your choice! :p
Sorry, couldn't help it... :D

Tor posted on May 27 2009 at 06:35 PM) Now that the next Nokia tablet turned out (apparently said:
to not be a tablet at all, but a smartphone with smaller display, then I'm going to wait for my high-quality Pandora no matter what.
+1

Concerning DIY assembly I think the team should be cautious about it. I foresee users with broken video cables claiming refunds from openpandora ltd. I know there is a way to avoid such problems, I just want to say that it should be worked out beforehand. Personally I would like to assemble my panda with my own hands (no soldering though). So if those DIY units will be same as factory assembled ones than I'd like to have a DIY unit :).

hells_dark posted on May 27 2009 at 09:33 PM) [quote="gp2.eXe posted on May 27 2009 at 09:31 PM said:
Edit: (Off topic"]
Hey hells_dark, what are those stars on your rank? Is it your cuztom title?
Haha, yeah :lol:

Thought so.[/quote]
_VWV_ posted on May 27 2009 at 10:07 PM) [quote="Tor posted on May 27 2009 at 06:35 PM) Now that the next Nokia tablet turned out (apparently said:
to not be a tablet at all, but a smartphone with smaller display, then I'm going to wait for my high-quality Pandora no matter what.
+1

Concerning DIY assembly I think the team should be cautious about it. I foresee users with broken video cables claiming refunds from openpandora ltd. I know there is a way to avoid such problems, I just want to say that it should be worked out beforehand. Personally I would like to assemble my panda with my own hands (no soldering though). So if those DIY units will be same as factory assembled ones than I'd like to have a DIY unit :-"].[/quote]Well, in that case, DIY would be intended to have an agreement from the final user that OpenPandora is not responsible for any damage caused by inappropiate assembling due to lack of information and/or lack of skills, etc.
They would provide a tutorial and from there you're on your own... with whatever parts you get. ;)

"Now where does this screw go???"

While the idea of assembling your own Pandora sounds neat and a great way to speed things up, I can't help but be concerned what this would mean for the warranty. So, I don't mind continuing the waiting game; I've been playing it so long that I've gotten pretty good at it ;)

Rockthesmurf posted on May 27 2009 at 03:18 AM said:
*METAPHOR*
In all fairness, our friend in London paid a decent sum (£200 outside of the metaphor) to see the arrival of the Pandora.

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 06:45 AM said:
I hope we have just finished the final round of tweaks. DaveCs dpad mod should be the last piece of the puzzle.
So, WiFi tests are done and the nubs are working just fine now?

christo930 posted on May 27 2009 at 12:16 PM) [quote="fischju2000 posted on May 27 2009 at 05:22 PM said:
If assembling the case could be done with simple tools and there wouldn't be any soldering, I'm sure many people would opt-in. I certainly would.
Would there be any sort of partial refund for a diy kit? I'm sure that lowering the price a little would bring even more users. Price has been the sticking point for me. I just can't justify spending nearly $400 on a game system ($330 + shipping + memory cards"]. With the dollar dropping like a stone, it might go up from there. To me, it needs to be under $200. I know how powerful it is, but it's still a game system and I have bigger responsibilities. There are probably some younger guys who can afford to buy the latest things at any price, but when you have a household and kids and a wife to answer to...[/quote]Chris

Honestly, if you really believe self assembly could cut the price in half, you don't have much grasp on reality. You will not get a Pandora for under $200, even if you soldered the parts your self (afaik, the total sum of the parts is as much as that). Why even still hang out and post, is beyond me, with such expectations.

Edit: I would also do self assembly if offered, if only to speed up delivery. As mentioned, this places an issue with warranty though. Of course the base board and LCD should be under warranty, but they couldn't warranty the entire unit, especially the LCD cable. The idea of a free TV cable (or such) to self assemblers would be nice though.

Hell, we could have an entire YouTube channel of various people self assembling.

christo930 posted on May 27 2009 at 03:16 PM said:
To me, it needs to be under $200.
Get a Wiz. It fits your budget better. I imagine assembly is the least expensive point in the entire process. Even if it takes a minimum wage slave one hour to put a single Pandora together, that's still only at most $10 per console, depending on which country you live in. The Pandora costs $330 because of what goes into it. You want to pay less, less is going to have to be in it, landing you back in Wiz territory.

I can remember before the Pandora even came about the people of this forum had two other pushes at making their own handheld.

Should be called The Pandora Forever when it comes out.

rabbits with hats posted on May 27 2009 at 05:04 PM said:
I can remember before the Pandora even came about the people of this forum had two other pushes at making their own handheld.

I've heard of the Ninja, but what was the other one?

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 05:45 PM said:
If you are insanely desperate to get your unit it's possible you could have a DIY build unit sooner than you think - if you are prepared to assemble the case yourself.
+1

I'm interested - is that case assembly just the job of putting the plastics together + screws (+ the LCD ribbon thing)? I'd open my pandora anyways someday, so ...

They had to announce the Pandora early to get the funding and figure out what the community wanted in a device.
And they don't exactly have dozens of highly-paid, highly-experience designers working full-time on this, and they don't own their factories.

It will take a while, but I can wait any length of time while Apple releases iThingies I can't program, Palm releases PThingies I can't program, and Blackberry releases things I don't care to program.

it's around 2 to 4 months from shipping. I suspect assembly will take way longer than usual just because the Pandora is cursed with awesome.

Edit: Assembling a Pandora? If they could ship me a case, keymat, LCD, board, and the cables, I would be all over that.
Thing is, Pandora parts might be harder to ship since an LCD out of the case is a bit fragile... I wouldn't mind assembling my own to speed things up a little, though I'm technically delayed until second batch already.

PlopperZ posted on May 28 2009 at 12:06 AM said:
rabbits with hats posted on May 27 2009 at 05:04 PM said:

I've heard of the Ninja, but what was the other one?
I don't think the other one even went as far as to get a name. The ninja got comparatively far in development if i remember. It had a website set up and work done on designing circuit boards and systems. I cant remember why each try before failed to progress.

If I wanted an inferior handheld that was rushed to development, I would just get any other piece of hardware. I'm waiting for the Pandora.

Gruso posted on May 28 2009 at 12:59 AM said:
rabbits with hats posted on May 28 2009 at 09:50 AM said:
Anyone interested in early pandora history should look at the last scene console effort here

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=19402&hl=
Interesting read, thanks for the link. The spec list could almost be describing a Dingoo! It would have been quite a beast.
Yeah looking back i was impressed by the 400mhz, thats super fast even by todays standards.

When i think about it it was probably the gp2x that killed off that project.
Back to the Pandora, I can see why people are getting annoyed by the endless waiting. I mean if it was a large company making the console these delays would not go down well at all. Lucky for ED and the rest they are well respected the community and and getting a 'reasonably' easy ride because of it.

I have no doubt he console will come out by September but i think it was unwise of the development team to be so optimistic with the release dates earlier on in development. Its down the project quite abit of harm in terms of credibility.

Well best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

fischju2000 posted on May 27 2009 at 12:22 PM said:
If assembling the case could be done with simple tools and there wouldn't be any soldering, I'm sure many people would opt-in. I certainly would.
I should rephrase to express my true feelings:

I WANT IT WANT IT WANT IT WANT IT, GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

Back