Where Is My £200 Handheld?

mindlord posted on May 27 2009 at 02:19 PM said:
Cew27 posted on May 27 2009 at 09:11 AM said:
how long have you been waiting? because from when i first saw this project about 2+ years bac, thats when my wait began. and 2 years is more than enough for anyone's patience to run out, so before anyone who has just found out about the pandora tells me to be patient, i have been patient and its running thin.
like i said i am not cancelling i am just wanting answers
That's one of the weird wacky unique things about the Pandora. If this were a handheld by any other company you would not have even heard about it before September '08. Except for maybe backroom whispers and rumor mill style E3 gossip. You'd only have 8 months of patience invested by now. My advice, take a deep breath. Find some MMORPG to grind some levels on for a few more weeks. It's coming, possible sooner than you think, but the more you dwell on it the more it will drive you insane. Me? I'm already completely mad, so it doesn't bather me anymore.
thanks but i dont play any mmorpg, i have a social life which i am assuming you were insinuating that i did not

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaun. posted on May 27 2009 at 02:29 PM said:
I don't blame Cew27 for being angry because being a 16 year old myself $330 is alot. Like Cew, the Pandora has made me really distracted checking the forums daily but at the same time I got to focus on school. Whats really wrong with complaining. Its been long over due and I have to explain to my parents why, when I'm not even getting a decent explanation or estimate date. It always seems its going to be 2 monthes away. The progress is like an asymptope. It always getting closer to finishing but it never seems to reach the point of completion. I honestly think that our patience is being taken advantage of but its really not worth getting a refund because that long wait would of been for nothing.
bang on

I do love the idea that the devs could be all sat in a room taking bets on how long people will wait surrounded by stacks of long finished Pandoras. Seriously, do people really think this is some game or that ANYONE wants things to take this long?

I, too, have been driven partially insane by my comparitively short wait for the Pandora. However, all the people who have quit on the project have simply allowed me to stick an order in now, whilst the Pandora is looking tangible and (finally) imminent, and not be out of pocket for months on end.

I was very close to ordering one for my birthday in February, but got a Samsung NC10 to keep me occupied during the wait.

Your £200 console is coming, to drop out now would likely leave you sorely disappointed when it lands.

Just be thankful you're only paying £200, I've had to front £270 to come in at this time (not that I mind). Your "patience" has saved you some cash, at least.

(Incidentally, I don't think a Pandora will ever replace my laptop or my netbook)

Shaun. posted on May 27 2009 at 02:29 PM said:
I don't blame Cew27 for being angry because being a 16 year old myself $330 is alot. Like Cew, the Pandora has made me really distracted checking the forums daily but at the same time I got to focus on school. Whats really wrong with complaining. Its been long over due and I have to explain to my parents why, when I'm not even getting a decent explanation or estimate date. It always seems its going to be 2 monthes away. The progress is like an asymptope. It always getting closer to finishing but it never seems to reach the point of completion. I honestly think that our patience is being taken advantage of but its really not worth getting a refund because that long wait would of been for nothing.
I'm sorry, but I ordered when I was 15, and I'm keeping calm. I know it's coming, so I'm waiting. It's going to be worth it when it comes.

Gruso posted on May 27 2009 at 03:22 PM said:
clippa posted on May 27 2009 at 11:10 PM said:
Craig will even tease you by flashing a bit of leg once a month on youtube to a pet shop boys song. Hellollo sailor!
Sorry for the analogy, my mind was elsewhere.
Now mine is.
This kind of "sidequests" is one of the things I have always loved about this forum :D
But seriously, Rockthesmurf said it perfectly. Delays were to be expected, probably not such long ones, but who could predict all the problems (credit cards & paypal whoopsie etc.) Lets be patient kids (I want the Pandora!) and lets look forward to the good things to eventually come :)

Frustration! But I'm optimistic. I think it will be finished sooner then we think :)
(this thread is probably closed in 10. 9 .. 7... 8..)

Cew27 posted on May 27 2009 at 09:31 AM said:
thanks but i dont play any mmorpg, i have a social life which i am assuming you were insinuating that i did not
Not at all. I suggest MMORPGs because grinding for levels kills copious amounts of time, therefore making the wait more bearable.

Shaun. posted on May 27 2009 at 09:29 AM said:
The progress is like an asymptope. It always getting closer to finishing but it never seems to reach the point of completion.
Interesting simile. It's probably more true than we realize. But eventually, as the hardware gets tweaked for every minute detail, eventually it will reach a point where it will be considered ready. But on the software side, as expected after we have our Pandorae in our hands, the software will never reach the point of completion. Firmware/NAND/OS updates, emulator updates, bug fixes, etc... But that's all part of the fun; new software features, improvements in performance...

The journey to perfection is an asymptote.

mindlord posted on May 27 2009 at 04:08 PM said:
Not at all. I suggest MMORPGs because grinding for levels kills copious amounts of time, therefore making the wait more bearable.
hum, just wish we'll get a MMORPG playable on the pandora, 'cause we'll all get some leet character if we stick to leveling while waiting for the pandora... would be sad to have wasted all that time leveling...

Elwing posted on May 27 2009 at 10:13 AM said:
mindlord posted on May 27 2009 at 04:08 PM said:
hum, just wish we'll get a MMORPG playable on the pandora, 'cause we'll all get some leet character if we stick to leveling while waiting for the pandora... would be sad to have wasted all that time leveling...
We already have a dev working on an MMORPG for the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

Now that the next Nokia tablet turned out (apparently) to not be a tablet at all, but a smartphone with smaller display, then I'm going to wait for my high-quality Pandora no matter what.

Here's where I up my posting count by one and simultaneously get this thread closed with an outrageous statement of truth.

When I ordered the Pandora I was 23yrs old, now I am well into my 40s. It's exactly like that episode of StarTrek where Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, and ensign forgettable get old fast. The only one immune to the aging disease was Chekov because he was a "scary" russian. Now I don't have any russian in me except when I use that kind of dressing on my salad so I am doomed to be an advanced age forever traveling to that place known as the "long dirt nap" while my Pandora is lovingly perfected.

Will my arthritic fingers handle the new D-pad revision? I hope so, but I can tell you this handheld is better than any strained peas they serve me at the old folks home and I am happy to wait for it. History in the making people. Be glad you are a part of it. Never forget that the people behind the project have dedicated more time to this than your handful of months waiting.

Now I need to go feed pidgeons at the park while I pass the time. Good day to you all. ;)

http://the-programmers-stone.com/wp-conten.../10/pidgeon.jpg

Hello,

It's coming and it's a lot more now than it would have been in 2008. But there is more to just throwing it all in the case and throwing it in the post.

You don't get to see the sleepless nights, the arguments and the bloody determination which keeps this all going.

I promise you the Pandora is worth more than the sum of its parts and we cannot wait to ship out the first units, but they have got to be good, it's got to be right. I hope we have just finished the final round of tweaks. DaveCs dpad mod should be the last piece of the puzzle.

If you are insanely desperate to get your unit it's possible you could have a DIY build unit sooner than you think - if you are prepared to assemble the case yourself.

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 03:45 PM said:
If you are insanely desperate to get your unit it's possible you could have a DIY build unit sooner than you think - if you are prepared to assemble the case yourself.
Is this a mere job of clipping stuff together, or are we talking something a little bit more advanced?

From Wednesday I'm off uni until September, giving me just two mornings of work per week. I'm good for a DIY build.

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 07:45 AM said:
You don't get to see the sleepless nights, the arguments and the bloody determination which keeps this all going.
PANDORA - the famous handheld is now a feature film!

:lol:

clippa posted on May 27 2009 at 02:10 PM said:
Craig will even tease you by flashing a bit of leg once a month on youtube to a pet shop boys song. Hellollo sailor!
:eek: I almost saw the top of a sock when he flashed his leg this time! :eek:

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 07:45 AM said:
It's coming and it's a lot more now than it would have been in 2008. But there is more to just throwing it all in the case and throwing it in the post.

That's just crazy talk, we all know that you just throw the goobins in and heat at 300 degrees for 4 hours, then you take the stuffing out and are ready to go.

But in all seriousness, we've had enough of these threads, but not nearly enough of them as I'm sure you have. What with you trying to get this done while fighting off the hordes of Mongols trying to get in. :D

Could be worse though, at this point we know it'll be out sometime before DNF.

Back