What's Up With All The Slashdot Hate?

If I were a mod, I'd lock EVERYTHING! And then post 40+ topics mocking you peons. Mwahahahaha!

*cough*

TheTurnipKing posted on Oct 21 2005 at 07:55 PM said:
If I were a mod, I'd lock EVERYTHING! And then post 40+ topics mocking you peons. Mwahahahaha!

*cough*

You'd fit right in at ddrfreak :blink:

Seriously, go take a look sometime... every other thread locked. And lots of mod worship, its depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
"hot topic geeks" haha, i like that!
seriously, i don't know much about slashdot, but i wouldn't like this place to get a lot of those obnoxious Type Bs like those of psphacker or whatever.

i don't read much slashdot myself, but everytime i read the comments it seems like those guys can't get along or agree with ANYTHING.

scoobydew posted on Oct 21 2005 at 07:39 PM said:
...and we have yet another "angry tone" post from Jengo(aka Diego) who tells us again how we should behave. I backtracked on your pic for the very gay Luna Sea crap you posted as your sig and saw a picture of you. You need to eat less and exercise more brother. That's why your wound too tight about irrelevant nonsense like this.

EDIT: Fuckit... i wont waste my time on shitbags like you...

im not fat... and i dont know where you are basing this from.. im only 183 pounds..

but it doesnt matter...

DONT FUCKING eSTALK ME AGAIN FREAK.

P.S. I wasnt mad in the post above, you just need to learn how to read better.

what the fuck was that about? only thing that's very gay is you, scoobydew.

alucard.gif

Hehe, I don't really belong to any category myself. I'm very new to this community. Well, was around before a lot of new people showed up and asked the same questions over and over. When I came GP2X still felt kinda new even in this forum. And the only one who have ever called me a newbie is me. I feel like a type A but I know more about GP2X then I know about GP32 and I've never owned a GP32. Actually I heard about both at the same time. But I looked around for info before commin in here asking questions already answered. I also came here as a more experienced developer interested in developing for GP2X rather then asking about emulators. And I have extremly little knowledge about Linux.

scoobydew said:
You need to eat less and exercise more brother.
dot dot dot...
Jengo said:
my brother is NOT
Jengo said:
my family
Jengo said:
i dont know why you think my brother is fat,
Jengo said:
about my family
Jengo said:
and learn how to read better...
Very unwarrented attack on dew's part, but uh... he didn't say a thing about your brother, or anyone in your family.

lol internet

Well, tbh I fit into A and C, and I like to think I'm not quite as dim-witted as, as the phrase has been suggested, "hot topic kiddies". The problem is not, I think, that they make up anything like a big chunk (although they might) of the Slashdot community despite not being able to spell, but rather that they have a tendency to write so much more than everyone else, and almost always stuff that is either common sense if you read the specs for the 2x or for that matter the 32, or has been asked a thousand times before.

That said, if they post it in a nice tone politely, I think its awfully rude of those here who have a tendency to yell at them to use the search function, although I can understand why they do. Thankfully that's gone down a bit from this time a year ago, but hey.

I do, incidentally, realise the irony of this post (re: them writing a lot more than most), considering an entire 0.8% of the posts on this forum belong to me lol - used to be 1.7% though as early as 5 months ago. Blimey lol.

Type Z - Are like the enemy who have finally come over to the winning side ;)

I have no problem with type C people being a type A myself.

The type B people are a little annoying.

I think the forums will eventually sort them selves out when people get their hands on the hardware, everybody who pre-ordered is on edge at the moment, well I know I am.

While I feel this thread has outlived its usefulness (about halfway through page 2 I think), I feel compelled to post. I think I am also an exception to the categories listed.

Yes, I heard about the GP2X from the slashdot post. However, I am not 13, I actually search the forums for similar topics before I post, and I *gasp* read the FAQ and specs. Personally, I've been annoyed with most of slashdot for some time, but havent taken it off of my bookmarks (and I'm glad I did or I would have missed out on this system).

I'm looking forward to having a combination of pmp and old-school emulator in one box that can fit in my pocket and entertain me on long trips, but I'm even more excited about the open nature of the console (the fact that its running linux is cool, as I'm already familiar with the lay of the land so to speak). As I intend to get into the game development industry when I graduate (yes, I'm in college), having a portable system I can develop for and hand my work to potential employers to try out during an interview is quite exciting.

Long story short(ened) I dont care for flat categorizations like that, although I can see where these three groups came from, as many posts tend to put the poster in one of these three categories. The GP2X is new. Hasnt even been released yet. And yet we're already seeing a great influx of people who appear to be interested and excited about the console. The delay due to the sheer number of preorders attests to how big the GP2X is becomming. Quite frankly I am glad to see such a rush of people interested in what it will be capable of before the final units are out. Yes, we are seeing a number of topics repeated, a few of them that could be avoided entirely by a new user reading the FAQ and dev wiki, but thats going to happen. Most of these cases seem to be simply that people were not aware that the question had been asked/debated/answered 5+ times in the past. And almost all of them did not seem rude when they were asking, just curious and unaware that the question had been answered. Compared to the "discussions" on the slashdot topics, I think these forums are doing quite well at avoiding complete asshattery.

That being said (and sorry for the long post), We're all anxious to see the GP2X arrive in our awaiting hands, and to see it thrive and the community grow. This will involve new people coming in to the commmunity, and chances are that most will have something to contribute, even if it is a little appreciation for all the people who have been working hard to make it as good as can be. There will be some repeat topics and a couple of rude individuals that will come along. If this annoys you terribly, simply dont respond. No good tends to come from starting flame wars or slamming new people for asking questions you perceive as simple, and quite frankly, it takes away from the community. Just chill, your GP2X should be coming sooner than you think (unless you havent ordered yet, in which case you should order soon ;) )

I had overlooked the obvious tension of the GP2X being so close to it's belated release, now that people mention it I see it. I suppose it also makes sense that most of this will settle out after the GP2X is actually out in the wild. Maybe the stupid questions will fade away, but then again have they faded away from the PSP “scene”? But back to why I started this thread in the first place, new people aren't a bad thing. I'm sure my type A, B & C categories didn't fit everybody, and they over generalized but I guess I have three far better categories:

Been on these forums for a while, productive member of the community
New to the forums, worthless.
New to the forums, not a worthless.

There doesn't seem to be a “Been on these forums for awhile, worthless” category as these people have gotten bored and moved on.

So the whole point is that not all new people are bad.

Most newbs don't really bother me. Even those that don't use the search and come here saying "I just got my GP32 and my emulatorz don't load my R0mZ, what do I do ?" That doesn't bug me.

The ones that really annoy me are the newbs that come here making tons of topics asking when the PSP, DS, N64, Saturn, Jaguar, and Xbox emulators will be out :rolleyes: Like those can be emulated on a 200 MHz+ handheld ;) Get a CLUE :p

Bygone systems of their childhood such as PS2, X-Box, PSP? Uh... How the hell are those bygone? And from their Childhood? First of all, neither of those are bygone, especially not the PSP... unless there are 5 year olds asking for emulators of those systems, what the hell are you talking about? Even if that were the case, what you said still makes no sense because they're still kids, and the systems aren't gone... I would agree that requesting emulators for those systems is pretty stupid, though... I'd rather have NES and SNES emulators. I don't fit into either of those categories, and how exactly does wanting an emulator of PS2, Halo, or PSP make someone a "Halo-boy"? Ever heard of Dragonball Z Budokai? How about TimeSplitters? Twisted Metal: Black? Twisted Metal: Head on? What about Kingdom Hearts? Do ANY of those ring a bell? They should, and they're nothing like Halo. The closest one is TimeSplitters. It was out before Halo, and it's much better. It's also more original.

As far as the arguments and slashdot are concerned, I've been ignoring them, so they don't bother me.

By the way, you forgot the Nintendo Fanboy type, which probably consists of at least 33% of this forum's posters...

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 01:57 AM said:
Type Z - Are like the enemy who have finally come over to the winning side ;)

I have no problem with type C people being a type A myself.

The type B people are a little annoying.

I think the forums will eventually sort them selves out when people get their hands on the hardware, everybody who pre-ordered is on edge at the moment, well I know I am.
Z is for Zodiac! :ph34r:
There are a lot of Zodiac people around who want to move on to the next homebrew/emulation/indie device now that out baby has died.
Since we've got some experience with a mobile emulation device I hope most of us are not behaving too stupid... :rolleyes:

Magus 86 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 04:56 AM said:
Bygone systems of their childhood such as PS2, X-Box, PSP? Uh... How the hell are those bygone? And from their Childhood? First of all, neither of those are bygone, especially not the PSP... unless there are 5 year olds asking for emulators of those systems, what the hell are you talking about? Even if that were the case, what you said still makes no sense because they're still kids, and the systems aren't gone... I would agree that requesting emulators for those systems is pretty stupid, though... I'd rather have NES and SNES emulators. I don't fit into either of those categories, and how exactly does wanting an emulator of PS2, Halo, or PSP make someone a "Halo-boy"? Ever heard of Dragonball Z Budokai? How about TimeSplitters? Twisted Metal: Black? Twisted Metal: Head on? What about Kingdom Hearts? Do ANY of those ring a bell? They should, and they're nothing like Halo. The closest one is TimeSplitters. It was out before Halo, and it's much better. It's also more original.

As far as the arguments and slashdot are concerned, I've been ignoring them, so they don't bother me.

By the way, you forgot the Nintendo Fanboy type, which probably consists of at least 33% of this forum's posters...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Back