What's Up With All The Slashdot Hate?

DijiTao

After seeing a couple of threads go down in flames, I thought it might be a good idea to try to pull that argument over into its own thread.

There appears to be 3 types of people on these forums-

typeA “GP32 Vet”) This type has been here since before the GP2X was even a rumor. Interest in Linux in and of itself is minimal, interest in Homebrew is quite high, and they tend to pine for the 16-bit era (or in some cases 8-bit era) of gaming.

typeB “Halo-Boy”) This type is immediately identifiable by their post containing request for emulators of the by gone systems of their childhood, such as the XBOX, PS2, and PSP. Their grammatical ability is usually only rivaled by their prowess with the search feature of the forums.

typeC “Slashdotter”) This type very well might actually have a toaster running NetBSD. They ended up on these forums because some OpenSource friendly news site they read regularly mentioned the GPX2. They have interest in Homebrew & Emulators; however they see it entirely through the lens of Linux. The thought of the GP2X not running Frozen Bubble is inconceivable to them.

Blends of these types do seem to exist but I would say that these are certainly the 3 major categories. So to all you typeA’s out there, what’s up with all the Slashdot hate? How is it that you can’t clearly see the difference between types B&C? I understand that this is of course a gross over simplification of matters, but it really seems like the on the one hand you want the GP2X to do well, but on the other the influx of new people to your community is unwanted. Far too often on these forums I’m seeing terms like “Slashdot Waste” and “n00b” getting used in ways that are just starting to get annoying. I understand that there are in fact a lot of morons out there who just make shit up about DRM and post it on their site- but embracing the FOSS community is going to bring in a whole new pool of talented individuals along with those couple of morons. As for the typeB’s yes their annoying, yes you have more of them now because they followed the typeC’s here, but the whole point is that they are a distinct group in and of themselves so please stop lumping them all together as “the new people”.

I agree with you for the most part. I'm really not sure what isn't sitting right with me about your post but it's something and that's the only reason why I must say "for the most part". I'm a new person to the community, but I'm really looking forward to what people will be able to do with this little system. When I was young the system that I ended up spending many hours with was a SNES. I haven't known much about programming for more than 7 years now but I'm learning more everyday and I really want to be able to contribute to the community.

I think that a major reason why people don't like new people in their communities is that they see the new comers as taking all past work for granted. I know however that many people have worked very hard to get things to where they are today and I'm really only going to speak up when I have something important to say, not when part of me feels like going off on someone.

I really hope that was somewhat coherent. I may not have a GP32, but I'll have a GP2x in a few weeks and until then I'm spending my free time learning all that I can and playing around with SDL. :)

You'd be surprised how much of Type B reads slashdot. As far as I know, slashdot used to, at one point a long long time ago, be a site dedicated to the open source community, but now its looked at as the cesspool of the tech world.

I attribute this to the Quake 3 launch. You see, all the counter strike kiddies etc got really excited about quake 3, then if I remember correctly, quake 3 demo was announced but only for linux for awhile, or something like that. Anyway, all these gamer kiddies decided 'o shi linux is leet~!' and brought their asshattery to the open source community.

My own journey ran parallel to this. Around that time I tried to learn how to use linux myself, but not because of Quake, or any game for that matter. I enjoyed new challenges, and I was also told it would be a good thing to learn at the time. Someone who seemed to know his shit told me that was the future and it would help me later on. It did somewhat but not in the way I intended.

Anyway, though I may be categorized as 'slashdot waste' , I agree totally with the general sentiment that the slashdot population, a majority of it has gone to shit.

For example, there's this one guy right, I know of him through proxy, he prides himself as a 'geek', reads slashdot, buys shit off thinkgeek, and has a hat that says 'dork' or something. Anyway, he goes to concerts and parties and has lots of friends. I hardly consider that the definition of a geek. He also can't spell worth a damn, couldn't to save his life. I consider him a dumbass, but he's not alone.

I call these the "Hot Topic Geeks". Somewhere around 1998 it became fashionable to be tech literate. Anyway, they'll buy shirts with nintendo characters on them, pride themselves as geeks, but they're really just normal whiny teenagers. There are many of those on slashdot too, because its cool to be a geek or something.

I'm talking out of my ass with most of this, but perhaps one of you out there would find it useful.

Slashdot itself isn't that bad. I hadn't even heard about it before someone mentioned, that GP2X had been mentioned there. Problem is the volume. Lets say, an active community for GP32 was 100 peeps. There may be few bad apples in 100 peeps. After slashdotting, or any other widely followed news source, the amount of people here grows. As does the number, if not percentage, of people who should not be using a pen, let alone a computer. Pens are pointy, you might stab yourself with one. Computers are much more harmfull, but usually to other people...

I just dislike people in general, and stupid people in large groups especially. :)

I read it (the site), but the people on the forums are so biased over like linux, and they explain fuckin code IN their post, and it takes like 5 paragraphs...just pisses me off.

I don't really agree, but you are right that some people here are like those types.
I guess I am sort of a "GP32 Vet", but I don't have a huge thing for 16bit or 8bit, and I don't hate Linux or slashdotters (most slashdotters are pretty clever I think).

The average Slashdot poster is about 13, with an even lower intellect. They're all Slashbots. They don't know anything about any topic, and it is quite humorous as well as angering at times to watch them jump to conclusions without any knowledge on a given topic. This is especially true of any posts about legal issues, licensing, or Mac OS X, but you will find idiots posting on any number of issues without a clue, including ones an open source advocate or UNIX user should very well know.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=109089

:shrug: ._.

Honestly, its not limited to slashdot. Most forums I've ever been to have had lots of bad apples that fit under that category. ESPECIALLY karma based forums.

You've got your Attention Whores, your elitists, your whiners, and trolls too. I usually am categorized as the latter. But hey, I try to be nice.

I think I am slashdot waste aswell, although I only found out about the gp2x from craigs newsletter (i had to decide between the GBA and gp32, i chose GBA) I do have slashdot as my homepage and I first used linux in 1996, on my Amiga. I don't consider myself to be trendy jumping on bandwagons, I'd prefer to jump off and find something new and shinier. I got told off in a thread the other day for telling somone to use the search button :( People don't like new people telling other new people what to do. Although I'm new to this forum, i am not new to forums. Most people here seem real nice inteligent folk, but you must remember that the GP2X is, ultimately a toy for Halo lovin kids and Linux lovin kids. I like Halo aswell. I'm not realy concentrating on typing at the moment so I think I'll stop...

I was here like 2 years or so ago with the GP32... only found out about the GP2X thanks to Craig's mail to previous buyers...

I personally only have a problem with people coming in either

a) asking idiotic questions like will we see PSP emulated
or
B) asking a question thats already been asked and answered about 4 threads down...

then again those are my gripes with most of the communty's i'm in, its just it seems that theres been a huge influx here instead of the usual constant dribble with most communities

it just seems to me all these new people are not bothering to read all the information the community has provided to answer most things, which is annoying

The solution is to wait it out, they'll find another bandwagon soon enough. Of course, who knows, I could be part of that population as well. I'm still looking for the perfect device. The Zodiac nor PSP has satisfied my needs, and I'm hoping the GP2X will.

When it comes down to it, I still use my GBA+Flash more than the other devices, including PSP. Too bad my flash SRAM battery died.

Everyone who generalises is an idiot.

And I don't fit into any of those categories. I'm a programmer that has never touched a gp32. If anything, I'd say category A, but then again, generalisations suck.

Slashdot? ive never heard this term before.

I dont catagorize myself as A, B OR C,

Im unique (i think) I play what i like, i use what OS i like, I buy what I like etc..

I am however a n00b when it comes to programming, i dont know much yet (hopefully i will keep progressing in my C++ Studies)

I dont really care that some people are elitests around here (cause at times i tend to be one myself) as long as its not retarded.

One thing i do hate tho, is all the hate for the new people. New people wanting to support the GP2X, New people willing to play the Emulators/Homebrew games that YOU YOURSELVS code. What the hell is wrong with someone new trying to get into the community? Yes, a lot of them might ask some odd/stupid questions but its all in the learning process, some have patience to search the forums for answers, some dont so they post the question without even looking for answers, and that is fine by me, because i realize when someone is excited about something they tend to post idiotic questions... i just came to this realization a few days ago...

Anyway... that is my biggest gripe with this forum, the willingness to not help out new people, hell you guys need all the support you can get, yet you dont realize it... instead of flaming new people, you should be welcoming the with open arms...

Think about that...

...and we have yet another "angry tone" post from Jengo(aka Diego) who tells us again how we should behave. I backtracked on your pic for the very gay Luna Sea crap you posted as your sig and saw a picture of you. You need to eat less and exercise more brother. That's why your wound too tight about irrelevant nonsense like this.

Which brings me to my 2 cents.
That is the biggest problem with this forum when someone disagrees with you and half the people are on your side and the other half of the people get angry with you and the responses. I see no problem with someone asking if SNES will work. The question has been asked, I know, but at least it is a contribution to the forum that is at least somewhat interesting. Have you guys checked out emuholic. No offense but they could use a few more posts like this about the GP2x. So everyone just lighten up about it.

I think we are all a bit testy since the handheld has been pushed till mid-november for a release but when you start barking at someone because they don't know what a linux kernal is compared to a corn kernal then you need to chill. Not everyone has spent the better part of their lives inside with a computer terminal. I myself prefer fresh air and sunshine to sitting in front of a monitor. I only play games as a side hobby as do a lot of the people here so relax if your some expert or some know it all prick who obviously needs to get laid(the bottle of Jergens moisturizer and some Kleenex does not count). So let's all be nice(unless your Zerone who still needs to read rather then play video games:).

Please don't throw your pencils at me if you disagree with my thoughts. :lol:

Back