What will a Pyra be able to do that the OpenPandora can't do now?

It will be able to bee one from first batch (prepreorder 28) whyle Pandora was more Secondbatch because i ordered too late..

By the way: dos the Pyra have divierend type of shoulderbuttons?? Because when i got my pandora, the right shoulderbutton ditnt work because foampad got a bit wrong whyle shipping..
An easy fix i dit then myself..

The pandora can already do sudo opkg update and sudo opkg upgrade - it uses those commands to do a live OS update, and I've used it many times and it works for me (I think it had a problem back around Sz1.52, but I forget).

Edit: My Pandora doesn't contain any foam pads connected to the shoulder buttons - the only foam in it is in the battery compartment. It's a 1GHz unit, and the buttons directly push the vertically mounted switches when pressed. The Pyra will of course have completely different shoulder buttons, having four of them, and hopefully this time the shoulder button can't get stuck inside the case and/or bend the button behind it.

Well, its a CC Pandora, so the Board is a bit diverent..
Got this issue only twoo thimes in 4 Yeahrs,
At the beginning until i fixed it myself and some thimes ago..

The pandora can already do sudo opkg update and sudo opkg upgrade - it uses those commands to do a live OS update, and I've used it many times and it works for me (I think it had a problem back around Sz1.52, but I forget).

Ah, ok, it's been a while (as in years) since I used my Pandora, the screen is bust. I've got a replacement but haven't got around to fitting it.

When I did update && upgrade, the os broke. I think the ncurses version in the repo was the main culprit. I assume aTc has been doing some good work to make the OS more compatible with upstream?

Nowadays, we don't use the upstream Angstrom repo. Notaz or ED or someone maintains a repo on ED's servers, and that only receives selected updates tested to work on Pandora.
Oh, that is why nothing ever gets updated, like for example that 5 year old evince that crashes every few seconds. I thought that was because of Angstrom. I'm glad Pyra will have a Debian as the default OS.

If you find a bug and want it fixed, you need to at least report it so that someone (Notaz probably) can see if an update is around, and post it out for testing. There's only us using this OS, rather than the millions using debian, so to match a supposed 1% of debian users who actively raise bugs, 50% of us would need to be as active.

I understand that Notaz targets stability, where no bugs are noted. There's little to be won in taking all and any patch when there's limited testing that can be done.

Wow, harsh. It's not THAT bad.

It's pretty bad though.

You are probably right, I think notaz mentioned that in at least one graphically intensive game (AvP): "Pandora has SGX530 that's the first (and slowest) in SGX series, so that Voodoo2 might be better suited for the workload this game gives." so perhaps the Pandora is better than Voodoo 1 and worse than Voodoo 2 ;o) Either way, I'd like to think we won't be comparing the Pyra to 3DFX hardware and will have moved the bench mark forwards a little...!

Umm. Full debian I would say? Of course we have Pandebian, Pandian (Running debian on Pandora) and some of the packages ported on the repo but it's not like having full debian running on a Pyra. Also 4xRAM on the Pandora + some swapfiles + a wonderful community = the umpc of your dreams ^^

Well, I consider that I have full Debian on my Pandora: I'm able to run anything I tend to use on the bigger systems I have. For me, the limitations are hardware: too little memory, relatively slow processor, no appropriate video out for presentations. All of these will be fixed/improved on the Pyra which is why I cannot wait... :)

The other improvements in Pyra are simply icing on the cake but I am looking forward to them.

Well, I consider that I have full Debian on my Pandora: I'm able to run anything I tend to use on the bigger systems I have. For me, the limitations are hardware: too little memory, relatively slow processor, no appropriate video out for presentations. All of these will be fixed/improved on the Pyra which is why I cannot wait... :)

The other improvements in Pyra are simply icing on the cake but I am looking forward to them.
Weird. I can't run things that I run at bigger systems :D (just joking). Still, I wonder if Nikolaus will be able to plan a PCB that isn't ARM and as small as it is now.
Edit : In the future, of course ^^

"Besser ARM drinn als ARM drann" :)
(In Germany the therm Arm stands also for Pour, so if your "Arm drann" then you ditnt have money, )
Its rather better to have ARM inside :)

The Pyra can vibrate whyle gaming which the Pandora cant..

Also hopefully, the Pyra can use USB and at the same time the display backlight can still be changed..
I know from my CC Pandora, that as i enable USB Host, the Backlight gos automaticly to highest lightning and the brightness Level cant be changed until USB is disabled..

Grammar police adjust title as required. =)

So.... I am really pleased with my Pandora, (I've had three of them) but I'm also looking forward to recieveing my Pyra.

Which improved applications, emulators, tools and features are everyone most looking forward too? How is the Pyra going to improve on Pandora?

Playing something like Ace Combat whit every button and rumble due to the L1L2R1R2 Buttons and Rumble Motor,
Typing in the dark because the Keyboard Backlight
And mybe more Drivers for USB Devices because its Proper Debian

Lot more power better Nubs..
And a huge inprovement in the case quality..

Not having to search for an unprotected WiFi when I want to read the news on the go :D

... kidding (mostly). My smartphone's battery is giving up the ghost slowly, so I prefer my Pandora for web related stuff. I had a 3G dongle for a while, but my parents lost it when they took it on their vacation.

Which improved applications, emulators, tools and features are everyone most looking forward too? How is the Pyra going to improve on Pandora?
The most important improvements and additions to me are the keyboard layout, modern web browsing, compatibility with my current wired headsets, and possibly being able to do mobile messaging. With just the browsing and headset I would never be without it, so everything else is just extras for me. Games and emulators I am most looking forward to are Eldritch (works on 1GHz, I have a CC) and N64. Other software should be available or improved, but no names are coming to mind right now.

Back