Which software do you miss on Pyra?

Im completly against all sorts of Anglicism used during this pandemic:
"Homeoffice" is "Heimbüro", "Homeshooling" is "Haus-unterricht" , "Lockdown" ?? "Verschlossen und Fertig?? " ,
I know there where much better words for this purpose in German, but because they used the Anglicism that long, i cant remember yet.. ^^

Oh whe also need a "Anglicims/German" Translation Book ^^

Whenever i see this comercial about Microsoft Teams, i wonder if there is a compatible Client for Pyra Users,
Because you cant make it mandatory that you employe have a Microsoft Compatible Computer for Home Office,
this might be discrimination !!!
MS provide a linux client for teams since over a year now

MS provide a linux client for teams since over a year now
Yes, but it is just an electron application, I prefer to directly use the web client with chromium.
(also, the rpm and deb they provide will silently add their own repository to your package manager, so you should double-check where the updates comes after that)

Of course they can. It's their computer. You get paid to do the workload they give you with the tools they give you.
You may deem yourself incompatible with certain employers, though.

Yes, right, they can; but they *must* also provide all the hardware needed (and also the needed licenses for software, if applicable). At least in theory, but at least according to voices in my social bubble, this is not a problem.

What is a problem, is remote school. Because they DO expect that the parents provide the computers needed and that the parents DO install all the fsck(8)ing resource hungry bloated spying malware with insulting licenses the school whines about. Already had a conflict or three about this with my offspring's school.

Yes, right, they can; but they *must* also provide all the hardware needed (and also the needed licenses for software, if applicable). At least in theory, but at least according to voices in my social bubble, this is not a problem.

What is a problem, is remote school. Because they DO expect that the parents provide the computers needed and that the parents DO install all the fsck(8)ing resource hungry bloated spying malware with insulting licenses the school whines about. Already had a conflict or three about this with my offspring's school.
I'm curious, what did the school do? Can they legally require you to buy Windows? Or did they have to buy it?

I'm curious, what did the school do? Can they legally require you to buy Windows? Or did they have to buy it?

At least in my country they legally cannot force us to buy windows or ms office, at least in theory. However, it is not yet tested at court.

Our conflicts so far:
1. Teams. We complained about installation of 3rd party software, in the end they recommended running it in a browser. Which is, kind of, and under some circumstances, true, so --- to show goodwill --- we accepted.
2. MS word. They complained about homework being submitted in .odt instead of .doc. After some email exchange, they accepted.
3. MS powerpoint. They complained about homework being submitted in .pdf instead of .ppt. After some email exchange, they accepted.
4. JPEG picture. They complained about homework (scanned picture of work done on physical paper) being submitted in PNG instead of JPEG (the teacher "could not open" (??) the attachment on her computer). After some email exchange, we offered them .pdf scans; surprisingly, they accepted.

So far, we have managed to somehow get along with the school (after all, I am not here to make troubles, but there are certain things I am not willing to tolerate), but it is not exactly seamless (and it required non-trivial amount of work on my part to be done safely within our home network).

Well who knows, maybe in 2 Months , the Pyra gets that hyped from m’y Videos, so everyone wants a Pyra, then I believe, in another 2 Months , everyone use Open Formats..
although I save “PDF” as .pdf

I wonder what Emulator whe get the next time, whe have now DS DOS N64 PlayStation and Gameboy ..
SNES would be cool because there is a Super Mario Land Romhack for the SNES whit New Super Mario Bros Sprites

The SNES can't run Super Mario Land though; that's a GB game. Unless you mistranslated Super Mario World, which I believe was a launch title for the SNES or nearly, in this part of the world at least.

No, there is a Rom Hack called „new Super Mario Land“
b9e04bc0639a06c2c9dd39d614c44b5e.jpg

1. Teams. [...]
2. MS word. [...]
3. MS powerpoint. [...]
4. JPEG picture. [...]

Well, to follow up on topic, I did some thinking, what apps I would like to be available on the Pyra:
* Productivity: I would guess that most of my personal productivity tools (vi, awk, troff, gnuplot, ImageMagick, gs, mutt, ...) are already available in the base system or as a deb packages.
* Art and Fun: gimp, OBS studio, csound
* Special interests: pgzero (just developing a simple game in pgzero)
* Games: Flightgear for me (but I'm not holding my breath here); and a SSO client for my daughter (but I doubt this is possible given the computing power needed)

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
Back