What Should The Pandora App Store Be Named?

aliking said:
(naw)mcx said:
liquidphantom said:
Application Repository and Social Enterprise

aka ARSE

I think ARSE is awesome. Fits in perfectly.
It's briliant. Every dev would have a personal store called myARSE where they can stick things...
Yeah, alright, you guys win :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
aliking said:
(naw)mcx said:
liquidphantom said:

aka ARSE

It's briliant. Every dev would have a personal store called myARSE where they can stick things...
"I just completed the latest version of Super Gaming Plus X. Take a look at myARSE, poke around with it a bit, see if you like how it feels. If you have any comments, just shove 'em back into myARSE, and I'll get to them the next time I have a chance to sit down."

Tripmonkey_uk said:
aliking said:
(naw)mcx said:
liquidphantom said:

aka ARSE

Yeah, alright, you guys win :lol:

+1(0000000000) :lol:

aliking said:

Then after downloading, users could say, "I pulled it out of myARSE."

GunPei2X said:
aliking said:

If a user likes an app they can fave it or "Kiss" it... Kiss myARSE

If they don't like an app they can "Spank" it

MDave said:
Craig's Roof.
:lol:

atomicthumbs said:
OpenPandora Ltd. Application Software Requisitioning and Author Compensation Method 1A
I was going to make a few suggestions but it seems rather pointless now. :( You win.
I mean even the acronym is perfect: OPLASRACM1A (Pronounced: Oplas-rack-emia) Genius on so many levels.

sullrosh said:
im supprised there are no suggestions involving craiginator
Because, like you, we can't thing of anything.

craiginator core distributor - see it's shit.

Edit: missed an 'el'

liquidphantom said:
GunPei2X said:
aliking said:

If a user likes an app they can fave it or "Kiss" it... Kiss myARSE

If they don't like an app they can "Spank" it

I'm pretty much sold on this one.

There must be a shop (aka store) with a wacky name in a game (probably a RPG) we could use (or adapt for (c) reasons).

may88 said:
There must be a shop (aka store) with a wacky name in a game (probably a RPG) we could use (or adapt for (c) reasons).

only bar I know in a game is the SCUMM[sup]tm[/sup]Bar

twent4 said:
DAMN BEAT ME TO ITT! :|
I'll go with my post anyway
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How about Pithos or Pithos App store? Something along those lines.

Originally it was not a box but infact a Pithos. A pithos is a type of large pot which apparently could be as big as a small human.

mali said:
"Pandora's Box"
is kind of funny and so on, but not very practical. The first time you hear it, you think oh my f* god, this is so ingenius [...]
After that it just gets annoying to explain what "Pandora's Box" is. You can't expect the consumer to spontaneously learn something. You will need to add a subtitle and the fun is gone.

Yep, and that's why Valve's "Steam" app store will never be successful.

cobaltage said:
This, or just the Pandora App Store.

It's foolish to name it anything else in my opinion, because that's what anyone who knows about it will call it anyway. The Android Marketplace is called the Android App Store probably half the time.

That's probably got more to do with Android trying to emulate Apple's success, and went with the same "<brand-name> <shop-synonym>" naming style... so the more popular product's name gets applied to both. If distinct branding was important, Android probably would have been better off with a gimmicky name than a generic one.

It's likely that the Pandora's app store will travel further than the Pandora hardware, as it will be a distribution mechanism for software that will work on an increasing number of devices (theoretically). So IMO, you might as well make sure "Pandora" is the featured part of the name of the store.

Wait... if you expect the distribution system to expand beyond the Pandora hardware, why should Pandora be included in the store name? That would add even more confusion. You're not likely to go to the "PSP App Store" to buy stuff for your Nintendo DS, are you?

If expansion is beyond the Pandora is expected (and it's quite possible, I expect they'll want to cater to their GP2X/Wiz/Dingoo customers as well), I'd go for a name that's got some connection with the Pandora, but could easily apply to other products without confusion. Something short and punchy that isn't likely to get abbreviated, or substituted with a competing name.

I reckon "Box" would work well for that.

"You can get the latest version of my app from the Box."

openpandora.org/box

(thebox.com is currently unused, but squatted)

Bosbeetle said:
may88 said:

only bar I know in a game is the SCUMM[sup]tm[/sup]Bar

Hehe, well there's alreaqdy GOG.com - so it could be GROG.com :)

Xian Long said:
let's see some support for the pappstore
Reminds me of a joke. Warning, really bad language.

A lady is at the doctor for a full checkup.

"Ok," says the doc, "time for your mammogram."

The lady gets her top off, then asks "Why is it called a mammogram, anyway?"

"It's from the latin words for breast, and diagram."

When the mammogram's done, the doc says "Righteo, let's take a pap smear."

"Ok. But why is it called a pap smear?"

"Because if we called it a cunt scrape, no one would get one."

Back