What Does This Mean?

ahahah

this page http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en has just updated

i don't understand what it means.
this list will be fixed after or before the 1st batch pandoras??

thanks

Looks like a list of things that the devs have to work on to get the software "perfect". Basically, upon receival of your Pandora, you'll notice maybe a few software bugs that will be ironed out soon. Hopefully most of the pressing issues will be fixed by the time P&ora ships, but think of this as a "to do" list.

Anyone know how you will update the firmware? Will there be an app included to check for updates, or do you have to compare your version with the one on the site and download it manualy etc?

excuse me but i 've not understood your answer.
this list will be fixed before or after the shipping of pandoras?

ahahah said:

Probably 50/50, otherwise why make the list?

EDIT: or you could just read the whole thing

Keep in mind that this is the CURRENT state. A lot of things will be fixed until you receive your Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
This list is great. Gives a lot of information as to what we can expect when the Pandora ship.
And even more importantly it gives the developper a clear idea of what has to be fixed / improved.

I've got a few question though.

The Pandora uses "only" ALSA for sound, or does it have pulseaudio running on top of this. (I though the Pandora would use Pulseaudio)

What exactly is the 3rd GUI option: "netbook-launcher". Everyone is familair with Pmenu now but it's the first time I've heard of Netbook-launcher. If someone has some info it would be greatly appreciated. It's nice to see the dev have working on a number of things :)

Butterman said:
ahahah said:

Probably 50/50, otherwise why make the list?

EDIT: or you could just read the whole thing

Keep in mind that this is the CURRENT state. A lot of things will be fixed until you receive your Pandora.

I think this is the problem exp​ression, should it read 'will be fixed before you receive' ?

it's actually kind of depressing that the firmware is so bad right now, they've have all this time and it still looks very unfinished

Paradox said:
it's actually kind of depressing that the firmware is so bad right now, they've have all this time and it still looks very unfinished
I don't see any serious problems on the list, except for maybe ALSA crashing.

sigh!, updated windows lately?

seeing as there are a handful of people with dev systems, and it was always said that early adopters would be beta testers, how do you come to think it would be flawless on release?, XP was released in 2001, nine years ago, and the largest software company on the planet are still patching it, expecting a group of enthusiasts to be releasing a perfect system on launch is a bit optimistic imo, Pandora may be smaller than your desktop/laptop/netbook, but it's no less complicated, once a few are out there, any bugs will be swiftly squashed, we have the advantage that any patch will work for any Pandora, since they are all exactly the same hardware, unlike mainline PC's that can be made from any combination of components.

no part of it looks like a show stopper anyway, it's more functional than some devices have been at the time I purchased em.

edit: it's the software that has some minor issues, the firmware is fine afaik.

i asked the question because i don't speak english very well... i've learned it at school only...

what means the sentence "A lot of things will be fixed until you receive your Pandora." ??

dsleaf67 said:
I think this is the problem exp​ression, should it read 'will be fixed before you receive' ?

I imagine ED wrote it and English isn't his first language so cut him some slack :p

ahahah said:
i asked the question because i don't speak english very well... i've learned it at school only...

what means the sentence "A lot of things will be fixed until you receive your Pandora." ??
What's your first language?

what means the sentence "A lot of things will be fixed until you receive your Pandora."

I think he means

a lot of things will be fixed BEFORE you receive your Pandora

this is prolly just the end of a very long list of bugs they are sorting, once it's released and people try to do cool stuff with it, they may well find a lot more bugs, but bet you a pound 99.999% of them will be dead before the years out.

Lets hope a lot of it is de-bugged before shipping? I am sad to hear the wifi is so slow, I was going to use this often in the house for casual net cruising, but it sounds like the are working on it.

The charging only while its on thing is sort of odd though? My cell phones, & pretty much every other device I have will charge while off? Interesting?

The Pandora can be charged via usb also right?

Hmm. This is starting to sound like it may be a mess, especially for people who aren't linux experts. It will take some organization/officially supported versions to keep it from becoming a hundred variations and modifications of the OS with a hundred different quirks and issues. Three operating systems available the first time you start it looks nice at first glance. But some users are going to be completely lost if forum members start releasing their own complete operating systems with little changes rather than those changes being put into an official Angstrom/Pmenu/ect update.

I think they are just being transparent with this os info for us.Im sure the devs will sort major problems.Any problems will be patched quickly im sure.

mali said:
ahahah said:

What's your first language?

french :unsure:

wrath of khan said:
I think they are just being transparent with this os info for us.Im sure the devs will sort major problems.Any problems will be patched quickly im sure.
^this^

not to mention there are currently only a handful of people working on the OS, and once it gets into the hands of users the number of fixes should accelerate quite nicely (seeing as many of us are experienced linux users)

kevin J said:
Lets hope a lot of it is de-bugged before shipping? I am sad to hear the wifi is so slow, I was going to use this often in the house for casual net cruising, but it sounds like the are working on it.

The charging only while its on thing is sort of odd though? My cell phones, & pretty much every other device I have will charge while off? Interesting?

The Pandora can be charged via usb also right?

Yes it can be charged by USB either by conecting it to a pc a by using a USB power supply.

For the charging while off it's not so wierd... The nokia n800 (omap 3) also needs to be turned on for charging. It does have what seems to be minimalistic OS for doing this.

Another thing you will notice is that quite a few device can't be turned on when there is no battery. The Pandora can be used without a battery. (Just for the anecdote the first version of the board wasn't able to do this)

Back