What Do You Plan To Add/mod Onto Your Pandora (hardware)?

puppydee said:
craigix said:
The only thing I'm hoping to get going is one of those little broadband anywhere USB adaptors.
You took the words right out of my mouth. That was the first thing I thought of so I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on. Save me hunking a laptop everywhere :)

I'll probably be using one of these too... but would an internal HSDPA/WiMAX modem fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me: MIDI and external Audio. The Pandora represents a very nice sound-processing machine, to me .. so thats what I'll be adding to it, peripheral-wise.

For those who want GPS: How would you use it? Will there be a route planner compatible with pandora?

Wikipedia says:

Google Maps for Mobile 2.0 was released. It introduced a GPS-like location service that does not require a GPS receiver. The "my location" feature works by utilizing the GPS location of the mobile device, if it is available....

Why not simply typing in the current name of the street and the house number and start the route planner? That's what I did with my Pocket PC which didn't have an internal GPS antanna (only external) a couple of years ago. The software showed the map of the surrounding area and painted the correct path blue. By simply using the d-pad I scrolled the map. On foot through the city it worked fine maybe even better than my current device with internal GPS as the technologoy is not accurate enough for slow moving pedestrians in an area with a dense grid of streets.

if you just had a cell phone with bluetooth, you might be able just to use BT to the phone and use tower triangulation, but I don't know if that data is available to the user or not, it is for 911.

I want to experiment with some kind of homebrew slide-on mini-trackball. I want to create the best possible portable Quake experience. If I can find a mini trackpad fitting in the nub-hole, I may use that.
I also want to place a small usb hub-chip inside the Pandora and retrace the USB port to it.
If the external port plugs become available, I will buy a few and connect them to my car-stereo and gps and to my living room stereo and TV. Then I can use it as carputer for navi and music, and for music and video in the living room.

for me i will be modding nothing ,the Pandora is perfect in my eyes and i think its a bit crap that some will be replacing the case wihtout even seeing the finnished product first.

fm radio and a cam would be nice but the cam is an after thought and fm radio can mostly be had on internet radio so no need to mod the
minted Pandora.

craigix said:
The only thing I'm hoping to get going is one of those little broadband anywhere USB adaptors.
I have one and will report how it turns out.

I will probably integrate a USB hub so I can actually use the large port for something, maybe add another USB port next to it if there is any space.

Hmmm, I seem to remember posting this months ago, must have been in a now-dead thread on the same subject :D

Anyway, IR led and transceiver attached to the internal UART for remote control emulation.

Edit: spelling

Karel Jansens said:
The only addon I'm slightly considering is a decent camera module. If I can find a tiny enough, 5 megapixel+ one that can be easily added to the Pandora (no SDIO for me however! I need that storage!), I might think about it.
The WB-6200p looks like a tiny and cost effective device for you.

Karel Jansens said:
It sure does. Thanks! Now to find one of those in this heckhole...
Happy to be of assistance. Finding odd gadgets with difficult specs is one of my favorite past times. :)

It's USB2, I clicked on one of the links and it said 'driver included' or some such - that's probably a Windows driver. Does anyone know if the cam. would be compatible with Linux?

Tor said:
It's USB2, I clicked on one of the links and it said 'driver included' or some such - that's probably a Windows driver. Does anyone know if the cam. would be compatible with Linux?
Webcams are fairly generic devices now, so I figure something compatible is already existant.

azmodean said:
Hmmm, I seem to remember posting this months ago, must have been in a now-dead thread on the same subject :D

Anyway, IR led and transceiver attached to the internal UART for remote control emulation.

Edit: spelling

I'd love to do that mod as well.

As far as soldering anything on to it, or internal mods? Nope, I'm not gonna do that.

But accessories? Of course! I've already bought:
-bluetooth folding keyboard, because there's no way I could develop code using a keyboard the size of a Nintendo DS.
-bluetooth laser mouse

And I'm thinking of buying:
-Something to use the 14-pin port, hopefully a breakout cable (see this thread) but if I can't get that, I'll get the standard TV-Out.
-Perhaps some USB stuff. We'll see what works and is useful.

Back