How Are You Going To Mod Your Pandora

tyicepaws said:
Ok going to bleed of a liitle of the anger
I would like tograb a broken ds and mod it
onto the pandora taking both of the card bays
out and sodering them to the open spots
maybe run a copy of the ds os on a sd card

Why not just get a working DS on the cheap, then get a CycloDS Evolution or whatevs (AFAIK that card's got best support/community, but then again I have one as well)... then get this little gizmo for light (or heavy) modding/hackery (DSerial's no longer produced but this card has better features - this is an official vendor).

I think you could hook up/link/exchange data to Pandora's UART (or GPIO or whatever the shenanigans it's called) with that (serial connection, and then some).

It's possible to mod, perhaps not in the way you intend.

Edited for content. This post was modified to fit your screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
lizard809 said:
I will likely add an L2 and R2, that is, if I can find space for them.

This for me. Although I'll most likely would have to pay someone to do that...(and then I would add glitter to it)

I think if If *could* I would try to somehow fit an USB UMTS stick inside the case where the stylus is right now. Alas, I'm more of a software than a hardware kind of guy and could never accomplish this...

I thinking about modifying case to add spare shoulder buttons in way that I no solder on motherboard. I guess that I can add swivel pads with micro-switch. In pop-up state it touching pads on board and in folded state fit into case.
Code:
   (top)
.----------------------.
| Pandora - side view  | (rear)
'-----------------.-.--'
   (bottom)        \| (swivel button)
                    '

I'm still toying with the idea of adding a TFP410 board for HDMI output. But I decided to wait until I get the Pandora and see how much room there is in there.

lizard809 said:
I will likely add an L2 and R2, that is, if I can find space for them.

My plan is to wait until someone comes up with a really good mod for L2 and R2; Then I will do the same. ;)

-God Ginrai

i was thinking of wiring the l2 and r2 buttons up on the side or front for track skip buttons. someone said something about there being a wire in the lid for an led and using it as an ir transmitter, if possible and code is written i will do that for sure. i also saw something about an accelerometer...

Dunno if it's a warranty risk, but I might use aluminium casing.
Since I have no industrial tools.. I take a pencil or cigarbox to try and make the mod, slowly puncturing holes.

If lucky I might get a sleek cigarbox in the same dimension with nice spiffy textures/pictures.

RS-232 is a must for me, and I'll be working on the hardware side of l2/r2 mods.

I've figured that some small microswitches like these would work

G15381B.jpg

Ideally, I'll try to mount them between the l and r shoulder buttons like on the wii classic controller, otherwise somewhere else like on the bottom. These switches are quite small so they wouldn't need a very big hole to be drilled or occupy much room inside the Pandora, I have some IRL and that picture look much bigger than real life on my monitor... at least twice as big in the picture if I hold a real one up against the screen.

So... use my dremil to drill two small holes in a spot where there's room, use dual compound epoxy to carefully glue the microswitches in place (very carefully as to not get any glue inside the switch), solder the switches to the proper pads with some small wires, and BAM I've got l2 and r2 buttons.

...as soon as someone writes a driver :D

I'll be sure to make a tutorial out of it when I do my button mod... and I'm gonna try to engineer it so that it's not permanent, ie no epoxy, but that will have to be done once I have a Pandora in my hands.

Attachments

• G15381B.jpg
    G15381B.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 100
I'm reasonably confident I'll be able to live with pressing "E" and "I" for L2 and R2, until the Pandora-successor is made.

I admit that I've enjoyed having them on a programmable gamepad, and that I would find a use for them if they existed, but I don't know what games they're really needed for. Which ones are you guys thinking of?

(Also, I'll add a screen protector, and maybe a sticker with my email address on it or something.)

Kicker said:
I'm reasonably confident I'll be able to live with pressing "E" and "I" for L2 and R2, until the Pandora-successor is made.

I admit that I've enjoyed having them on a programmable gamepad, and that I would find a use for them if they existed, but I don't know what games they're really needed for. Which ones are you guys thinking of?

(Also, I'll add a screen protector, and maybe a sticker with my email address on it or something.)

PSX games, for one.

-God Ginrai

I'm deaf in my right ear and can't hear in stereo anyway, so I might end up removing the right hand speaker and putting a small webcam in it's place. I would probably replace the left speaker with a louder/higher quality one too to make up the difference.
Maybe paint up the case and add L2/R2 buttons as well?

I won't be doing any of this until I've enjoyed the unmodified Pandora first though, probably for 6 months or more :)

God Ginrai said:
Kicker said:

PSX games, for one.

-God Ginrai

Hah! Yeah, sorry, I meant: which Playstation games do you feel would suffer from having to press keyboard buttons instead of dedicated alternate shoulder buttons?

Kicker said:
God Ginrai said:
Kicker said:

PSX games, for one.

-God Ginrai

Hah! Yeah, sorry, I meant: which Playstation games do you feel would suffer from having to press keyboard buttons instead of dedicated alternate shoulder buttons?

I didn't have a Playstation, so I would not be able to answer that. But most of them could benefit from having extra shoulders, and that is my point.

-God Ginrai

Trip, wouldn't removing one of the speakers mean that you'd lose some sounds though... Or do you change a setting to make it mono?

I thought for example, if in stereo mode playing altered beast for example, the music would play out one speaker and the "wise fwom your gwave" speach would come out the other speaker... So removing a speaker you would lose this. No?

Fzero said:
Trip, wouldn't removing one of the speakers mean that you'd lose some sounds though... Or do you change a setting to make it mono?

I thought for example, if in stereo mode playing altered beast for example, the music would play out one speaker and the "wise fwom your gwave" speach would come out the other speaker... So removing a speaker you would lose this. No?
I asked DJWillis to kindly add mono sound support aver a year ago. Hopefully him or Notaz will have sorted it out by now?
:)

Back