How Do Plan To Let Pandora Out?

Joepostal

Still Fresh
EDIT UGG I screwed up the title... I am tired and have a cold :( anyhow..

Well the day is coming you will have a somewhat powerful computer in your hand that fits in a pocket. I know a pen shaped device that has a roll up screen and a laser keyboard, oh wait, retinal implanted display and multi-terabyte memory implants with thought controlled navigation is not here yet... Has that been patented BTW? I think the Borg would have had no trouble assimilating all of us.

I have been following threads and planning to add some part somehow... Maybe just document how to do certain things but my interest right now is how do you plan to let Pandora out of the box? I have imagined many cool things.

My brother and I love smash TV and playing wirelessly on a pair of them sounds awesome or connecting a pair of USB joysticks and hooking it up to a TV to get some big screen retro going, sounds just as fun and easy.

VPN access into the company and running the network monitor to make sure work is not going to be crap in the morning :)

I didn't own a ps1 or for that matter any console between the n64 and the ps2. So I am thinking about going out and collecting all the best games from them all. Gamestop rocks for this purpose. Ahh to play the original Ridge Racer again :)

Adding an accelerometer and doing the fuel calculations. Adding GPS and using it for map driving.

Synergy came up on another tread ... what a great app.

Being able to cruise the web where ever there is a signal.

Watching movies, keeping music collections.

Finally settling on a VOIP provider and giving out that number!

Getting it connected to VGA through a dock.

Playing FPS games with a Bluetooth mouse.

Maybe modifying it to add a camera or more USB ports.

SO what do you plan to do? SO I can plan to try that too :)

I am very excited about Pandora I really hope it is everything that it has been planned to be.

I, for one, will use this for a lot of gaming. Primarily PS1 and SNES games... I also hope that Carmageddon will work well through DosBox -- seems more likely with the upgraded RAM. I also plan to browse the internet nightly like I currently do with my iPhone (which I got for free and is on T-Mobile to those about to get upset). I am also hoping that a good VNC client will be ported so I can play some more recent games from my home PC anywhere I can get wifi. And finally, I will likely have a few 16GB and 32GB sticks full of music and movies to enjoy on the go.

\m/ :pandora1: \m/

If by some miracle they can squeeze Pentium 100 ~ 133 MHz performance out of dosbox, then carmageddon will run perfectly. But don't count on it, that's double the performance the dosbox port is getting now.

Joepostal said:
EDIT UGG I screwed up the title... I am tired and have a cold :( anyhow..
Well the day is coming you will have a somewhat powerful computer in your hand that fits in a pocket. I know a pen shaped device that has a roll up screen and a laser keyboard, oh wait, retinal implanted display and multi-terabyte memory implants with thought controlled navigation is not here yet... Has that been patented BTW? I think the Borg would have had no trouble assimilating all of us.

I have been following threads and planning to add some part somehow... Maybe just document how to do certain things but my interest right now is how do you plan to let Pandora out of the box? I have imagined many cool things.

My brother and I love smash TV and playing wirelessly on a pair of them sounds awesome or connecting a pair of USB joysticks and hooking it up to a TV to get some big screen retro going, sounds just as fun and easy.

VPN access into the company and running the network monitor to make sure work is not going to be crap in the morning :)

I didn't own a ps1 or for that matter any console between the n64 and the ps2. So I am thinking about going out and collecting all the best games from them all. Gamestop rocks for this purpose. Ahh to play the original Ridge Racer again :)

Adding an accelerometer and doing the fuel calculations. Adding GPS and using it for map driving.

Synergy came up on another tread ... what a great app.

Being able to cruise the web where ever there is a signal.

Watching movies, keeping music collections.

Finally settling on a VOIP provider and giving out that number!

Getting it connected to VGA through a dock.

Playing FPS games with a Bluetooth mouse.

Maybe modifying it to add a camera or more USB ports.

SO what do you plan to do? SO I can plan to try that too :)

I am very excited about Pandora I really hope it is everything that it has been planned to be.

The best Ridge Racer was Ridge racer type 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing Snes is the first thing I'll be doing, finally a handheld with enough power to run pretty much all games full speed with sound. Note: I'm hoping Yoshi's Island will be playable, still my fav platformer to this day :).

Also some PSX, love to play some FF7,Destruction Derby,Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Tekken Series.

Amiga and Mame some good old 80's games and some NBA Jam, MK games are my favs from MAME.

Oh and I plan on playing Notz's great Gen's emu hopfully he get's 32X working down the line :)

I have a 2,4,16GB SD sticks ready to go :)

I'm planning to use it as an all purpose 'labtop' (i never owned a labtop, only desktop). And as a way to get away from my desktop, I'm sick of staring at this screen for everything. It would be nice to be able to go out and still conveniently have access to my files. Basically internet, email, videos, music and some gaming, but gaming was not the reason I bought this device.

Too bad it won't be able to do remote access to my windows pc.

Although my Pandora will be primarily used as a handheld emulation device for whatever platforms it will be able to handle (SNES, Amiga, PSX, Genesis, MAME, NeoGeo...), I'll also be using it as an all-purpose netbook, for troubleshooting, IM, mail, web, remote access (telnet/ssh mostly) and so on. I'm hoping it'll run wicd for easy roaming between wireless networks to make sure I'm always connected when possible, and I'm hoping to gather a good collection of troubleshooting tools for diagnosing and repairing disk and network problems.

I want to use it for

1. emulation
2. Internet browser via WLAN maybe via mobile phone later
3. listening to podcasts
4. videoplayer / usb TV stick
4. pdf/rtf document-reader
5. small spreadsheets
7. graphics editor (touchscreen!)
8. dictaphone

In no particular order;

1: NES, SNES, PSX, Amiga, and so on and so forth.
2: General computerish things.
3: Checking out anything interesting that gets made.
4: Writing.

Without a doubt, it will be going everywhere with me. :p

it's going to replace my Zaurus 3100, iPod Touch, and PSP (since my PSP is mostly used for emulators). Pretty much an all-purpose, do most things I use my computer for device.

Here's my top 3:

Playing games via s-video to hdtv (but no digital video output makes children cry) and wireless 360 controllers (hopefully someone will get the driver for the wireless receiver working)

Schedule podcast downloads so i can stop using my mp3 player for podcasts. mp3 player + automatic downloading + built-in speakers = great podcast support

*good* portable web access. I have a treo with unlimited data, but the web browsers blow. Tethering over bluetooth will be fantastic were there is no wifi access

My list of uses:

- SNES / Genesis / PS1 / GBA / Amiga / MAME / ScummVM
- Pandora-native gaming (hope some of it rocks) (hope there's a port of C-Dogs)
- mail client / browser
- IM
- video / audio player (would be cool to use a bluetooth remote for media center-ness)
- PDF / CHM / CB(R|Z) reader
- PIM (here's hoping a good app like OrganizeDS comes along) (encrypted storage available)

I also would like to access all of this through a cool interface, instead of some adapted distro like Angstrom or Ubuntu.

Gosh, there's so many uses I've thought of over the past month, I'm not even going to bother to list them all.

Maybe I'll start a little list of uses, where I'll write them down as I think of them. They're often so unique to the situation that I forget them the next hour or so.

Back