Welcome new and old members!

Well, if you need a development platform, then the OMP5 development board would be cheaper ;)
If someone needs a SD image for the 5432EVM that works (boot loader, pyra-kernel, Debian Wheezy, xorg.conf for HDMI) please PM me for a download link.
Well I may sometime shortly.. I do have one coming in.. perhaps today..

Questions:

Why Pyra will not use 4G?

Will it be able to use basics gsm connectivitys?

4G is using different frequencies in different countries worldwide - which is an issue for a niche project.

However, the 3G module is pin compatible to a 4G module, so if Pyra takes off and sells well, it might be possible to sell different versions with 4G in different countries.

Great! So in any case we will be able to make it by ourselves if we want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, the 3G module is pin compatible to a 4G module, so if Pyra takes off and sells well, it might be possible to sell different versions with 4G in different countries.
The chosen 3G module isn't compatible with my carrier but the 4G module has UMTS quad band which is compatible. If I felt I couldn't wait and got a Pyra without 3G what kind of upgrade path might be available when you do start shipping the 4G module?

Well, if you need a development platform, then the OMP5 development board would be cheaper ;)
 If someone needs a SD image for the 5432EVM that works (boot loader, pyra-kernel, Debian Wheezy, xorg.conf for HDMI) please PM me for a download link.
Well I may sometime shortly.. I do have one coming in.. perhaps today..
@GTA04, I sent a PM.. but you haven't read it yet it seems.. okay I tried building an image on my own.. but it's bare minimum.. no HDMI out, just serial interface.. Ethernet and USB not working.. so I must of messed something in kernel build.. So I'll take that offer for an SD Image.

After thinking about it for a while, despite previously saying I would have liked 4G, I am now more in favour of 3G. By reading the arguments users have put forth in some of the threads here, I have come to realise that, for me, the universality of 3G is a much more desirable aspect of mobile data, than the greater transfer speeds offered by 4G. This way, if I was to take the Pyra on my hypothetical future travels to other countries, I would be able to access files, surf the net, and even upload videos to YouTube or something! (taken with the Pyra's camera, if it has one, or with a dedicated camera using an SD card for media storage)

I wonder though. Would my 4G sim card work in the 3G Pyra, through backwards compatibility? It currently works in my Samsung Galaxy S2, and offers me everything a 3G sim card would.

someone else is gonna have to run PyraPress this time around, I'm busy

Not to mention a 1080p display on a 5 inch screen will be pretty tough to use.

Here's about what you'll end up with:

6a00d83451c9ec69e201156f994ca6970b-pi.jpg
what exactly do you think every single high-end smartphone has for a screen?

4G is using different frequencies in different countries worldwide - which is an issue for a niche project.
May be a silly question, but does that still whole true with it backward capability to 3g?(Which I'm assuming it has.)

AFAIK not. It needs different antennas.
Just to clarify this sentience, you are saying it's not backwards compatible?  So, you would need to put both

in there?

According to the spec sheet, the PLS8 is backwards compatible with the PHS8. The PHS8-US covers UMTS bands 850 and 1900, plus the 850 Nd 1900 GSM bands: if your carrier uses either of these (which is most of them I believe) then you'll be fine with the PHS8.

The PLS8-US covers those bands plus the (1700/2100) band for UMTS, the 900 and 1800 bands for GSM, and the 700, 850, (1700/2100), and 1900 bands for LTE. If your carrier is any of these (ie, Wind Mobile in Canada or T-Mobile in the US) then you'll need this "4G" module even for 3G connection.

Summary: The PHS8 can connect to all the same networks as the PLS8, plus some more including LTE networks.

Correct.

Phones have two radios included to be able to use 3G and 4G.

The bigger issue would be the antenna though, as covering everything worldwide with all frequencies is not easy.

That doesn't make sense though. If using the PLS8 module would require a third antenna then it wouldn't be a drop in replacement for the PHS8 module. I'm almost positive that there's only one antenna and it just switches frequencies on it, like tuning the radio in your car.

According to the spec sheet, the PLS8 is backwards compatible with the PHS8. The PHS8-US covers UMTS bands 850 and 1900, plus the 850 Nd 1900 GSM bands: if your carrier uses either of these (which is most of them I believe) then you'll be fine with the PHS8.

The PLS8-US covers those bands plus the (1700/2100) band for UMTS, the 900 and 1800 bands for GSM, and the 700, 850, (1700/2100), and 1900 bands for LTE. If your carrier is any of these (ie, Wind Mobile in Canada or T-Mobile in the US) then you'll need this "4G" module even for 3G connection.

Summary: The PHS8 can connect to all the same networks as the PLS8, plus some more including LTE networks.
Sure about that?

According to spec sheets, the PLS8 (which is the 4G module) doesn't offer HSDPA (which is the typical download for 3G), which the PHS8 (the 3G module) does.

So that would mean to me: With the PLS8 you've got LTE or 384kbps when there's no 4G available.

That doesn't make sense though. If using the PLS8 module would require a third antenna then it wouldn't be a drop in replacement for the PHS8 module. I'm almost positive that there's only one antenna and it just switches frequencies on it, like tuning the radio in your car.
Yes, but the antenna has to support that (it's basically multiple antennas with a switch).

The more frequencies you need in an antenna the bigger it will be and the more expensive it will be as well.

If your carrier is any of these (ie, Wind Mobile in Canada or T-Mobile in the US) then you'll need this "4G" module even for 3G connection.
He's may be right. People with those carriers could be screwed.

Actually without it, it seems you can still have "limited" 3g. As in, not as many places.

*Sweats* Very limited.

someone else is gonna have to run PyraPress this time around, I'm busy

Not to mention a 1080p display on a 5 inch screen will be pretty tough to use.

Here's about what you'll end up with:

6a00d83451c9ec69e201156f994ca6970b-pi.jpg
what exactly do you think every single high-end smartphone has for a screen?
They use Android, which uses a very simplified Ui. No start button, no menus.. Just a list of icons.

I'm pretty sure UI elements can be resized in all sane desktop environments and GUI toolkits.

I'm also not quite sure what your objection to controlling a conventional desktop with a touchscreen & stylus is.

...or why it even matters when we've got nubs and buttons...

Back