Web About My Mame Port

spaceboygp32x posted on Feb 25 2005 at 07:15 PM said:
Franxis posted on Feb 25 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
Bubble Bobble and Black Tiger do not run now, sorry. I will try to solve the problems anyway...

i just want MR do! thats all!

for that you will recieve my support and contributions to your cause

EVERYONE should donate after this port - it will be awesome!

sPaCe :ph34r:

ditto

mr do +dig dug and i'll be as happy as a sand boy :D maybe a lil bit of mappy too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
moz posted on Feb 26 2005 at 09:57 PM said:
spaceboygp32x posted on Feb 25 2005 at 07:15 PM said:
Franxis posted on Feb 25 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
Bubble Bobble and Black Tiger do not run now, sorry. I will try to solve the problems anyway...

i just want MR do! thats all!

for that you will recieve my support and contributions to your cause

EVERYONE should donate after this port - it will be awesome!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Yep, we should all donate!

Looks like I picked a good time to buy my Gp32! I love mame, and have used it a lot, but am not an expert. I just run the roms on my hdisk. No idea what .34 is. Would it be possible to start a new thread where we can say what games we've tried and how they work?

It's all too good....

ditto

mr do +dig dug and i'll be as happy as a sand boy :D maybe a lil bit of mappy too ;)

I just want to emphasize again, when this port comes out and you guys try to use newer version roms on it by putting them thru ClrMame and then they dont work, it might be ClrMame's fault. I had a lot of problems when trying to get versions of roms working with versions of mame that were vastly different.... ClrMame just couldn't 'fix' them right. For instance, I had a bunch of older roms (in the 5's, I think?) and tried to get them working on v.74 of mame, used Clrmame with the v.74 dat file, and most of the roms wouldn't work. Turns out ClrMame shrunk them pretty dramatically... erasing like 80% of the files in them :D

Since current version roms out there now are v.90, and this port is based on .34, I have a feeling you guys might have the same kind of problems. So just be sure if it's ClrMame that's causing the problem instead of assuming that Franxis' port is to blame.

That was a bug of an older version of ClrMamePro.
The latest version should work fine.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 27 2005 at 11:43 AM said:
That was a bug of an older version of ClrMamePro.
The latest version should work fine.

no kidding??? now you tell me! I wasn't ever going to switch to a newer version of mame again, because of a stupid bug?? You're sure that's what it was then? Well this is great news....

I don't have asm cores:
-reesy z80
-zyclone 68k

Then i have nothing to test with...

After MadriSX party and the first beta release i will try to contact people involved to add these emulators into my MAME port.

I will see...

I have added ClrMAME Pro DAT for MAME 0.34 into my web page:
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Regards.

Well, just used the DAT on my 0.90 collection.
He could reconstruct most games (only 28 missing out of 1025).

Franxis posted on Feb 27 2005 at 10:08 PM said:
I don't have asm cores:
-reesy z80
-zyclone 68k

Then i have nothing to test with...

After MadriSX party and the first beta release i will try to contact people involved to add these emulators into my MAME port.

I will see...

I have added ClrMAME Pro DAT for MAME 0.34 into my web page:
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Regards.

Just ask Reesy for his ASM Z80 core. He is on these boards alot. That would speed up many older games. Could even have Ms-Pac man at 100% speed with sound at 133 and no frame skip with that core.

Cyclone still has bugs so I am not sure about that one.

For this emulator, the Mushashi 68k core might be a better idea. It is slower, but more accurate. Its the one used in most emulators on the pc of consoles that have a 68k.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 27 2005 at 11:38 PM said:
Well, just used the DAT on my 0.90 collection.
He could reconstruct most games (only 28 missing out of 1025).

That is a good sign... I just hope you are right that what I was talking about was just a bug. The real trick will be to take those roms that it 'reconstructed' and play them on the actual v.34 Mame, either on PC or GP.

All this talk about mame on gp32_console is making me salivate....

I have some ROMs from mame 0.33 on a CD somewhere.... looks like I'll be pulling them back into service soon.

And if Mappy and Elevator Action work then I'll be in heaven.

Can't wait.... roll on 6th of March.

B)

Blah posted on Feb 28 2005 at 04:58 AM said:
For this emulator, the Mushashi 68k core might be a better idea. It is slower, but more accurate. Its the one used in most emulators on the pc of consoles that have a 68k.

Nah the Musashi core is soo slow, If Cyclone's not going to be used because of those few bugs, I would recommend using the M68k core from Castaway its much faster than Musashi.

68000 based games in GP MAME will be way too slow anyway. If GnG runs only 80% at full 166 MHz clock speed then I doubt any of the 68000 stuff will be very playable with or without Cyclone.

Doesn't bother me though, if the 80's stuff runs decent w/sound I am happy. Bring on Mr.Do!, Donkey Kong , Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man!

There is no reason why *some* 68000 games should not be playable if cyclone was used, you are way overestimating how slow mame is, it is slow but with some hardware specific mods its gets much faster, that is why even with the C z80 core the z80 games are working fine.

Once cyclone and reesys z80 core and thrown into the mix only the GP32's memory limitation will be holding it back in most cases, unless there is a reason why Reesys z80 core cannot run more than one z80 at once.

Also there are some GP32 specific sound cores in emus which should replace the mames ones in a similar way to z80/cyclone to give a further speed boost. I think the gp32 mame project could turn out to be very suprising indeed.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

DaveC posted on Mar 1 2005 at 03:13 PM said:
68000 based games in GP MAME will be way too slow anyway. If GnG runs only 80% at full 166 MHz clock speed then I doubt any of the 68000 stuff will be very playable with or without Cyclone.
horse shit imo

craigix posted on Mar 1 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
There is no reason why *some* 68000 games should not be playable if cyclone was used, you are way overestimating how slow mame is, it is slow but with some hardware specific mods its gets much faster, that is why even with the C z80 core the z80 games are working fine.

Once cyclone and reesys z80 core and thrown into the mix only the GP32's memory limitation will be holding it back in most cases, unless there is a reason why Reesys z80 core cannot run more than one z80 at once.

Also there are some GP32 specific sound cores in emus which should replace the mames ones in a similar way to z80/cyclone to give a further speed boost. I think the gp32 mame project could turn out to be very suprising indeed.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Well you could be right BUT: A good deal of the code would need to be re-written and alot of the PC spaghetti and bloat would need to be replaced with lean mean clean optimised code. That is alot of work. I mean if Pac-man needs 166 Mhz and FS 1-2 w/sound now how can it run something that is far more sophisticated at a decent speed? As you know many (most) of these projects get to a certain point until the coder gets bored of it and they are abandoned. The question is how much of this re-writing will take place before the dev gives up on it and goes to some other project or system. So yes it is POSSIBLE but not likely really.

DaveC posted on Mar 1 2005 at 06:52 PM said:
craigix posted on Mar 1 2005 at 06:01 PM said:

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Well you could be right BUT: A good deal of the code would need to be re-written and alot of the PC spaghetti and bloat would need to be replaced with lean mean clean optimised code. That is alot of work. I mean if Pac-man needs 166 Mhz and FS 1-2 w/sound now how can it run something that is far more sophisticated at a decent speed? As you know many (most) of these projects get to a certain point until the coder gets bored of it and they are abandoned. The question is how much of this re-writing will take place before the dev gives up on it and goes to some other project or system. So yes it is POSSIBLE but not likely really.

i remember when people said mame wouldnt ever appear on the GP32 and lynx emulation was near impossible due to lack of information on the custom chips- at least at decent speed.

with a GP32 and much midnight oil and good support from us anything is possible.

agreed... I remember being interested in GP32 a year or two back, and back then it was amazing that even NES was running on the thing. Mame, Genesis, SNES were almost out of the question. Hell, overclocking your GP would supposedly fry your system... now we have all these emu's and guys pushing their GP's well past 200mhz. I was amazed when I checked back in on the scene to see everything that had changed or new stuff that had come along.

I think as long as the devvers don't get bored of the thing, there is still a lot of potential left in the GP for things to keep improving. I think with determination someone will wring a lot more out of Mame on the GP.

Back