Mame4all For The Gp2x Wiz Is Ready

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
I have ported MAME to the soon to be released GP2X WIZ console.

wiz1.jpg

All the information, binary and the source code is available in my web page, as well as a sample video:
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

I meant that I think the Wiz screen on the youtube video looks great.

The screen-shot above looks good too though. :)

Franxis thank you so much for your work on this. The youtube video was great to watch. This will be great to try out when I get my Wiz. BTW I was wondering what kind of FPS you are getting with the Konami games like Turtles In Time, Simpsons, Parodius Da!, and Sunset Riders. I can wait and find out when I get my Wiz. Either way I will have a ton of stuff to play since you have now ported this to the Wiz. Also is this still based off of the same MAME the GP2X version is? Is it still mostly 0.35 with some 0.36 games added?

geise69 said:
Franxis thank you so much for your work on this. The youtube video was great to watch. This will be great to try out when I get my Wiz. BTW I was wondering what kind of FPS you are getting with the Konami games like Turtles In Time, Simpsons, Parodius Da!, and Sunset Riders. I can wait and find out when I get my Wiz. Either way I will have a ton of stuff to play since you have now ported this to the Wiz. Also is this still based off of the same MAME the GP2X version is? Is it still mostly 0.35 with some 0.36 games added?
Turtles, Simpsons, Parodius and Sunset Riders run perfectly in the WIZ (they also run ok in the GP2X).

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis said:
geise69 said:
Turtles, Simpsons, Parodius and Sunset Riders run perfectly in the WIZ (they also run ok in the GP2X).

great work amigo.... main reason to buy a wiZ
now if wrestlefest is addded ... i will buy one :)
how is outrun Super hang on & f1 GP star ??? (those were among the slowest on gp2x)

pongplaya said:
great work amigo.... main reason to buy a wiZ
now if wrestlefest is addded ... i will buy one :)
how is outrun Super hang on & f1 GP star ??? (those were among the slowest on gp2x)
Out Run and Super Hang On runs in the Wiz (650 MHz) at the same FPS as the Gp2x (250 MHz) :( (really strange, i don't know why, i have to investigate it, it also occurs with other games e.g. Hammerin' Harry). I haven't tried F1 GP Star...

Franxis said:
Out Run and Super Hang On runs in the Wiz (650 MHz) at the same FPS as the Gp2x (250 MHz) :( (really strange, i don't know why, i have to investigate it, it also occurs with other games e.g. Hammerin' Harry). I haven't tried F1 GP Star...
I think it is purely a hardware limitation. The memory is the same speed effectively: 133MHzx32bit (GP2X) versus 133MHzx2(DDR)x16bit (Wiz).

The I and D caches are still the same size and the architecture is still ARM9 so it seems most everything else is identical to the GP2X. It does sound like you guys are doing a good job of pulling out everything you can from the Pollux chip to make sure it does keep up with the GP2X results, but other than some better luck overclocking, it's not likely to run any faster on memory intensive apps.

MWeston said:
I think it is purely a hardware limitation. The memory is the same speed effectively: 133MHzx32bit (GP2X) versus 133MHzx2(DDR)x16bit (Wiz).

The I and D caches are still the same size and the architecture is still ARM9 so it seems most everything else is identical to the GP2X. It does sound like you guys are doing a good job of pulling out everything you can from the Pollux chip to make sure it does keep up with the GP2X results, but other than some better luck overclocking, it's not likely to run any faster on memory intensive apps.
Probably yes, and probably the Pandora is 2x faster, but probably the Pandora is 2x more expensive.

Why this thread has been removed from the gp32x.de frontpage news :blink: ?

Franxis said:
This is very strange.

Franxis, as a very basic test, could you run MAME4ALL on GP2X and Wiz side by side with the profiler running to see if each profile section is taking up roughly the same percentage of CPU?
If this is no speed increase then I am a bit disappointed with the Wiz. What advantage is there to the "faster" CPU?

Franxis said:
Probably yes, and probably the Pandora is 2x faster, but probably the Pandora is 2x more expensive.
Oh absolutely. :) Pandora is probably 3x more expensive to manufacture as well. GPH is laughing all the way to the bank on this one (my analysis from looking at ED's disassembly pictures).

P.S. My comments are not meant to bash the Wiz. I'm going to go for 'political correctness' on the forums as much as I can despite my obvious bias. Hopefully you are not mad at my observations.

slaanesh said:
What advantage is there to the "faster" CPU?
I've thought about this and I think the answer is just one of marketing.
The 533Mhz CPU sounds impressive for a handheld, especially when you compare it to 200Mhz on the GP2X and even 333Mhz on the PSP. It even sounds like it could challenge the Pandora.

Franxis, was there any improvement with the "ExoSquid MMU hack"?

slaanesh .. the Wiz is most definately a faster beast than the pure 2x in some ways, but its not a new beast. (Hence .. it is the GP2x Wiz, not a new line of machines.) Evolution.

I have seen some pretty good performance, but nothing earth shattering. Its a good machine and the form factor really pulls through, but just don't expect a miracle out of it. (I posted some performance comparisons awhile back, not sure where they are now or if I compared the right thingsd for anyone.)

jeff

Franxis said:
Dissapointing. At the default 533mhz I would have thought all the mame games supported would run at full speed no problem, let alone 650mhz. Hope you can get Outrun to run at fullspeed, could make MAME very popular on Wiz. As Slaanesh asks did you use the mmhack? also does libcaster help?

Franxis said:
Why this thread has been removed from the gp32x.de frontpage news :blink: ?
Oh, damn, I always forget about the frontpage news... I moved it here because it's WIZ news and not F100/F200 news, but hando still hasn't put these news on the frontpage as well :/
I'll try to contact him...

Last edited:
MWeston said:
P.S. My comments are not meant to bash the Wiz. I'm going to go for 'political correctness' on the forums as much as I can despite my obvious bias. Hopefully you are not mad at my observations.
Just what I wanted to hear. :)
That's more than some people could say.

Back