Web About My Mame Port

Sorry to bust your bubbles, guys... but I think you can't play any game.
You can only watch the title screen.

Unless anyone tells me where the coin slot in my GP32 is :p

EvilDragon posted on Feb 23 2005 at 08:24 PM said:
Sorry to bust your bubbles, guys... but I think you can't play any game.
You can only watch the title screen.

Unless anyone tells me where the coin slot in my GP32 is :p

I just got a PM from Franxis. You need to remove the SMC after teh ROM loads, then insert your quarter in the slot. Only American quarters work too, I'm told.

heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
He also posted a link to a review of MultiPac done by yours truly. I am now world famous!

Autograph requests will be taken one at a time, you will have to wait your turn in the presence of my l337n355 :D

A lot of roms run perfectly now at 166 Mhz with frameskip 1-2, but i will try to optimize the emulator for 133 MHz also.
If it's not too much work, could you please also add options for 144, 150, 156 and 160 Mhz? There is a great number of GP32 owners who cannot overclock to 166Mhz yet who can overclock to just under it (my GP32 can overclock to 156Mhz).

It does not have savestates.
Is this a freature that is planned? It would be very nice.

BTW, Does Puzzle Bobble work by any chance (don't hit me! I know practically nothing about MAME :ph34r: )

Franxis posted on Feb 24 2005 at 01:33 AM said:
- There are some games that do not run: Black Tiger and Bubble Bobble. I have not tested all mame roms, but there not too much more...

I weep tears of sorrow... *sniff*

Esn posted on Feb 24 2005 at 06:30 AM said:
BTW, Does Puzzle Bobble work by any chance (don't hit me! I know practically nothing about MAME :ph34r: )

Nope. Puzzle Bobble is a NeoGeo game.

Good job though, Franxis! I await your MAME port with bated breath.

Of all the games mentioned here, the one that I would hope for most to work well is GYRUS!!!

This is by far, my favorite 'simple' shooter ever! I play the NES one often on Little John, but it's just not the same. The arcade one has a permanent hold on my soul and place in my heart.... if ever I see a Gyruss machine anywhere, I MUST stop and play it, no matter the circumstances... I could be late to my own wedding and I'd still give it a go! Luckily, the game does not allow continues, so I can only ever give it the one try and then it's back to doing whatever it was I was doing before I saw the machine.

I have selected next frequencies:
133 mhz
156 mhz
166 mhz

The emulator now is prepared to be run perfecly at 166 mhz, i have to adjust some parameters for 133 and 156 yet.

I will see other frequencies, if they needed. But at 156 mhz i think there will be no noticeable differences... I will see...

Bubble Bobble and Black Tiger do not run now, sorry. I will try to solve the problems anyway...

Black Tiger is possible to run ok, but i think Bubble Bobble will be impossible:
- 2 z80 at 6 Mhz
- 1 z80 at 4 Mhz for sound
- 1 YM2203 at 3 Mhz
- 1 YM5325 at 3 Mhz
There are too many mhz for gp32 i think... Definitelly no Bubble Bobble sorry.

Arrgghh!!!!

Bubble Bobble does not run (also it does not run in original mame 0.34 for dos).

But i have tested Bobble Bobble RUNS !!!!! But slow...

I guess Cliffhanger will not work,
It was made in 1990 and is pretty intense graphically.

Oh well...

Just have to play Super Locomotive w00+

Franxis posted on Feb 25 2005 at 06:21 PM said:
I have selected next frequencies:
133 mhz
156 mhz
166 mhz

The emulator now is prepared to be run perfecly at 166 mhz, i have to adjust some parameters for 133 and 156 yet.

I will see other frequencies, if they needed. But at 156 mhz i think there will be no noticeable differences... I will see...

Bubble Bobble and Black Tiger do not run now, sorry. I will try to solve the problems anyway...

Black Tiger is possible to run ok, but i think Bubble Bobble will be impossible:
- 2 z80 at 6 Mhz
- 1 z80 at 4 Mhz for sound
- 1 YM2203 at 3 Mhz
- 1 YM5325 at 3 Mhz
There are too many mhz for gp32 i think... Definitelly no Bubble Bobble sorry.

I think we can live without Bobble Bobble, that is fine. I think there are many conversiones of this game for other consoles so we can just play it on those :)

I am looking forward to the '80s games with sound personally (Galaga, MrDo!, Ms-Pac-Man etc.). If those run at a decent speed and framerate with sound I will be thrilled, even to the point of making a donation :)

Franxis posted on Feb 25 2005 at 06:21 PM said:

Ive never found a decent rom of BT anyway so dont worry

Dave C is right!

i just want MR do! thats all!

for that you will recieve my support and contributions to your cause

EVERYONE should donate after this port - it will be awesome!

sPaCe :ph34r:

markusdragon posted on Feb 25 2005 at 10:22 PM said:
Mame 0.34? Too early for Outrun and Space Harrier :(. There goes my hopes and dreams.

Nonetheless; looks awesome. Looking forward to playing all those classic games.

Those games would run much too slow and choppy if they were in anyway. You need a fast PC for those games, the GP32 is not strong enough for those.

The choice to port this older version was a wise one as it supports all of the games that are playable on the GP32 anyway, and the code is smaller so that the games that do run are at a good speed.

DaveC posted on Feb 26 2005 at 12:25 AM said:
markusdragon posted on Feb 25 2005 at 10:22 PM said:
Mame 0.34? Too early for Outrun and Space Harrier :(. There goes my hopes and dreams.

Nonetheless; looks awesome. Looking forward to playing all those classic games.

Those games would run much too slow and choppy if they were in anyway. You need a fast PC for those games, the GP32 is not strong enough for those.

The choice to port this older version was a wise one as it supports all of the games that are playable on the GP32 anyway, and the code is smaller so that the games that do run are at a good speed.

A man can dream can't he :p.
Ah well, it's not like i can't play the megadrive versions...

Back