We need more drama. So here's another video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, nice! Thanks, Beard Lost In The Woods - some really neat looking renders there... Though as pmprog said, those are Pyras and I was wondering about the classic machine-look Pandoras

The "hole" gets filled in first by a translucent plastic medallion the same size and thickness as the hole. The aluminum piece is essentially a thick sticker that glues/bonds over the boundary, sticking to both the lid and the translucent medallion. The aluminum simply holds the translucent piece in. It does not need to be thick.

If I understand it OK, aluminum piece is problematic, so it is possible it will be replaced by plastic film. Decision is not taken yet.

Of course original aluminum piece is strong, enough rigid, and have enough contact surface. But plastic film (even thick) isn't the same. That is the matter. And they are thinking on modifying case molds so they can put a thicker plastic film because with actual space (thought for aluminum piece) it would be too thin/fragile.

It may be I haven't understood original aluminum piece problem on video.
[doublepost=1570371359,1570370831][/doublepost]
i'm not too much into decorating one computer to look completely like another system.
they all have their own pesonalities. so just a hint in a style direction would be enough for me.
it's more subtile this way and keeps the distinct looks of the systems.
but if one can swap out a complete theme fastly it would be fun nontheless

Really I don't want to personalize my Pyra with my loved C64 (C128 was my first personal computer, and it was a C64 more than a C128, although I loved BASIC 7.0 and much more the machine language monitor included in C128 mode). For my Pyra is a complete new computer using Linux and I will run on it a lot of Linux and emulators of my beloved C64, and lots of other computers and some consoles (I prefer computers even for gaming).

BUT I think Pyra with customized films would be great because there are a lot of people that if see it with a xxxx system aspect, they will be attracted and that will be good for Pyra and for all us (more sales, more future for Pyra upgrades and accessories). "xxxx" can be Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, MSX, Nintendo NES, SNES, Gameboy, Sega, Amiga, Aatri ST, etc, etc... I think those aspects, would attract people interest and more sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
From a personal standpoint, I would prefer a metal logo plate (I just like the look of it). That being said, I'm not too picky on that matter, as I plan on making a custom plate from stainless steel or brass.

I suppose it will be early 2020 for mass production all things considered. Release does seem however to be imminent. Hopefully all prototype guys get theirs for Christmas.

Usually, I only post results - not the many discussions I have with different companies.

That's why I mentioned that here: I finally found a usable solution for an issue that was known since I assembled the prototypes.

And yes, this has all been posted here already, if you followed the news.
It shouldn't be new to you that I didn't have self-adhesive logos yet.

I know It's not a solution for mass-production but I've been toying with glow-in-the-dark filament.
It works pretty well with LEDs to charge it. it's a fun effect.

I might just DIY customise mine :D
Shouldn't be too difficult to design a printable clip-on piece once I get my Pyra.

Attachments

• sIMG_2337.JPG
    sIMG_2337.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 224
We could use it as a space for a small e-ink display :p

@EvilDragon, well you asked for more drama ;-)
Honestly if the Pyra had internal GPIO that were broken out I would consider trying to implement something like this on my Pyra. The SoC has two Cortex-M4 cores on it right? Might as well put them to use sending notifications to an external display if they're not doing anything...

hm NFC antenna please, could copy my work id on there then :cool:

or a nice slogan perhaps "Pyra - Too Hot To Handle" xD

*sneaks out the door again*

I know It's not a solution for mass-production but I've been toying with glow-in-the-dark filament.
It works pretty well with LEDs to charge it. it's a fun effect.

I might just DIY customise mine :D
Shouldn't be too difficult to design a printable clip-on piece once I get my Pyra.

I tried to get ED to make a whole Pyra case made out of that stuff. If the plastics company could make a snap-in glow in the dark logo... :D indeed!

The Pyra looks really cool it's going to be great to get it after all those years. I also preordered a Librem 5 but the Pyra has a keyboard and that's really cool. I think that the Librem 5 is better for making pictures and for calling but the Pyra is better for playing Rogue and we all know what's more important.

The Pyra looks really cool it's going to be great to get it after all those years. I also preordered a Librem 5 but the Pyra has a keyboard and that's really cool. I think that the Librem 5 is better for making pictures and for calling but the Pyra is better for playing Rogue and we all know what's more important.

I'm waiting for the pinephone. Which will probably be out before the pyra.

But it's a cheap <$150 linux phone with hardware cutoff switches. It also has features most new phones don't include (although my lg v20 still has all these and more), removable battery, video out, sd card (bootable)

I'm eager to mess with it!

I'm waiting for the pinephone. Which will probably be out before the pyra.

But it's a cheap <$150 linux phone with hardware cutoff switches. It also has features most new phones don't include (although my lg v20 still has all these and more), removable battery, video out, sd card (bootable)

I'm eager to mess with it!

What a coincidence: I own a LG V20 and I plan to get a Pinephone (and a Phonebook Pro).

The problem with Pinephone and Pinebook Pro will be to get one: small production and sold out before yoy know it.
[doublepost=1570566094,1570565646][/doublepost]
Yes, the PinePhone seems like a very cool phone too. I think that it's going to be a good time to be a GNU/Linux phone user.

Pineohobe and Librem 5 with a keyboard with good and some ergonomic design, like Pyra, would be great. The problems of those Linux phones wil ll be they don't have phone mode soft and they can't use Linux Desktop soft in mobility because they don't have keyboard.

"keyboard with good and some ergonomic design": this imply a tick case like Pyra, because holding a landscape keyboard in a thin device, like modern smartphones are, is a nightmare and sure pain or lession in long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back