We Might Be Getting Doom 3, So What Else Is Possible?

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
I understand that iD have generously allowed a (couple of?) devs access to the Doom 3 engine source to port it to the Pandora...

Since Quake 4 is based on the same engine, does that mean we are likely to see Q4 as well as D3? Or is the Quake 4 engine just a variant of the D3 engine?

'PhonicUK' said:
I understand that iD have generously allowed a (couple of?) devs access to the Doom 3 engine source to port it to the Pandora...

Huh? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinnus said:
'PhonicUK' said:

Huh? :huh:
If it's news to Tinnus, I think it's news to the rest of us.

Are you sure you are not looking at an April fools?

PhonicUK said:

Since Quake 4 is based on the same engine, does that mean we are likely to see Q4 as well as D3? Or is the Quake 4 engine just a variant of the D3 engine?

There was an apriils fools post, which you could be looking at, our you're misinterpreting craigs statement about maybe being able to run doom3- its not open source, not yet anyway.

(naw)mcx posted on Apr 15 2009 at 01:12 AM said:
If it's news to Tinnus, I think it's news to the rest of us.

Are you sure you are not looking at an April fools?

I have a horrible feeling I was, but I don't think it was... Could have sworn someone was getting access to it though...

On the otherhand its 1:15 AM here, I probably shouldn't be up posting and pondering about this thing.

I am so desperate for a Pandora :(

When idgames does release the source code for both of those games, we'll most likely get both - due to the amount of talented coders in this forum. And it was mostly likely an april fools post you were reading.

I could walk across the hall and ask john.

....wait.....

I'm back in my hometown, sorry. :(

atomicthumbs said:
'Pickle' said:
Ya know something we don't?
I dunno, maybe he's chuckling because he made the April Fools thread for Doom 3? I can't find it, guess it was deleted. He even had Laurent helping him double team the poor forum folk.

'craigix' said:
Doom3 goes open source this year some time.
So it'll be ready when the Pandora is shipped. Awesome! ;)

'craigix' said:
Doom3 goes open source this year some time.
Nice! :) It'd be nice to know where you got that info from though.

Says so on the Wikipedia.
I think there was an interview at QuakeCon where Carmack or someone said they were planning for a 2009 release as long as all their licensees were done making money with it.

BackAssward said:
atomicthumbs said:
'Pickle' said:
Ya know something we don't?
I dunno, maybe he's chuckling because he made the April Fools thread for Doom 3? I can't find it, guess it was deleted. He even had Laurent helping him double team the poor forum folk.

For those curious here's that thread:

CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47326&st=0

Back