How Possible Is Doom 3?

I'm not saying it won't happen, and there probably exist certain workarounds, but this is the reason Ogg Vorbis took forever to catch on (for example). It doesn't even infringe any patents as far as anyone can tell; it was only the fear that maybe it did that stopped it from getting adopted in hardware. I'm sure a deal might get worked out with Creative, but as far as I understand it they've granted id Software a license to use their patent in Doom 3 as long as they continue to support Creative's EAX standard in their games.

Obviously that would be impossible to ensure in an open source environment.

ShyGuy said:
I'm not saying it won't happen, and there probably exist certain workarounds, but this is the reason Ogg Vorbis took forever to catch on (for example). It doesn't even infringe any patents as far as anyone can tell; it was only the fear that maybe it did that stopped it from getting adopted in hardware. I'm sure a deal might get worked out with Creative, but as far as I understand it they've granted id Software a license to use their patent in Doom 3 as long as they continue to support Creative's EAX standard in their games.

Obviously that would be impossible to ensure in an open source environment.
Ever thought on using the 3d engine and not using the creative engine? Would that be possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's id Software's engine, they just used a shadow volume technique that was patented. So technically the open source release could just include a less awesome technique for shadowing, as I noted earlier. Who knows? Depends on how badly id wants to release the source code I suppose.

Just saying that it's not as definite of a thing as everyone thinks it is.

ShyGuy said:
So technically the open source release could just include a less awesome technique for shadowing, as I noted earlier.
It's not exactly like we need things like soft-shadows on the Pandora. Screen is to small to notice something like that. ;)

I am actually ridiculously stoked to see Doom 3 on my Pandora. I've read the GPU comparison and reverse engineering thread like crazy and from what I can gather is that ImgTech is not really saying ANYTHING about the SGX535. TBDR seems like it is 100% efficent with fill rate looking at the Anandtech article mentioning Serious Sam and the Kyro2.

And if we go by what Imgtech is saying, Pixel rate is 1.2Gpixel/s whereas the Xbox NV20 is 932Mpixel/s Theoretical. Obviously the SGX535 has 2 USSEs which is different from fixed pipelines and the promise of TBDR suggests that you could say the SGX535 is 100% efficent GeForce 6600...except I don't know what the memory throughput is. Merciek<sp?> (I believe) has mentioned that SGX535 has support upto DX10.1 which is higher than the GF6600 supports 9.0c.

Also, from benchmarks, 2x and 4x AA look to be free in the Kyro2's case, which should carry on to the SGX.

I seriously can't wait to get this guy, because its still just speculation and I could be entirely incorrect with how I've tried to interpret these sources.

First I've heard of DirectX support, but that bit seriously doesn't matter in the Pandora's case (obviously). But I'm also interested to see what we can do with the SGX - binary and open source.

For those doubting Doom 3 will be open source, read this:

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/10532

Carmack also reiterated that the current plan is to open source Doom 3’s engine sometime next year; and they will continue the practice unless something unusual happens, like id losing a patent troll’s lawsuit based on released code.

What we can’t do is we can’t take time away from [other projects]… it does take effort to get these things together. If we are still heads down trying to get Rage out the door, I’m not going to task somebody with putting together the Doom 3 source distribution. But when Rage ships, you can expect the Doom 3 source code to be coming out.

So some time next year, it's coming out. That gives us devs enough time to learn and mess around with the Pandora's hardware and give us a better idea of what it can do :)

Doom 3, pah!

Crysis is where it's at!
crysis764.jpg

Had to put the graphics to low, but runs awesome. Honest ;)

But really, Doom 3 on the Pandora would be insane! I remember when my cousin got his gaming PC, and we played that, just because we could!

While everyone is speculating on DOOM3, there a bunch of free open source engines out there that no one is focusing on. Just like these engines no one is picking up, no one will pick up the DOOM3 project. Keep creaming and dreaming people. Keep dreaming.

ish420 said:
While everyone is speculating on DOOM3, there a bunch of free open source engines out there that no one is focusing on. Just like these engines no one is picking up, no one will pick up the DOOM3 project. Keep creaming and dreaming people. Keep dreaming.
Think positive, I'm sure some one will pick it up

(Did that help your hunger, under that bridge)

(naw)mcx posted on Oct 31 2008 at 06:51 PM said:

I see what you did there.

Also, I didn't say it would support Dx10.1 rather Merciek<sp?> said it would be possible to have its feature set. Specifically displaced subdivision surfaces get him all worked up.

Phawx said:

Also, I didn't say it would support Dx10.1 rather Merciek<sp?> said it would be possible to have its feature set. Specifically displaced subdivision surfaces get him all worked up.

DX10.1 is X86, only. So having support would be rather useless, but yeah, I think it has the features.

(naw)mcx posted on Oct 31 2008 at 07:46 PM said:
Phawx said:

DX10.1 is X86, only. So having support would be rather useless, but yeah, I think it has the features.

It's hard for me to follow what you are saying, It seems like you are trying to correct me, when I said the same thing you said.?

Phawx said:
(naw)mcx posted on Oct 31 2008 at 07:46 PM said:
Phawx said:

It's hard for me to follow what you are saying, It seems like you are trying to correct me, when I said the same thing you said.?

Nah, I was trying to back you up, by saying that DX10.1 is X86 only.

Sorry for that !

what about nexuiz, it looks great and already has an sdl port.

May need some optimisations though:

System requirements:

High Quality/Recommended:
- A 1.5 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500+ or better
- 9600ati or 5700fx or better
- 512 MB of ram or better

Low Quality:
- 1 Ghz Pentium III or AMD Athlon
- Geforce2 Video card
- 512 MB of ram

dentrado said:

System requirements:

Low Quality:
- Geforce2 Video card
- 512 MB of ram

It looks good, I watched the video :)

dentrado said:

System requirements:

Low Quality:
- Geforce2 Video card
- 512 MB of ram

It looks awesome. Now if the community would pick this up, it would totally own any gaming handheld out there. It is so rare to find a good looking homebrew game.(any homebrew community) Most are 8bit looking and they are not even as fun as a 32KB Nintendo game. With something like this, Doom3 would not even be an issue.

It looks like a polished Quake 3. I would go to say they used the engine of Quake 3 and modded it.

Doom 3, however, Is ID Tech 4 and if the Pandora could run it well with everything on, that would make it slightly more powerful than the 6th generation of consoles.

Thats why getting Doom 3 running on the Pandora is big. I'm sure the Pandora can handle Nexuiz just fine at 800x480 with everything on.

Im also interested in seeing if those reverse engineered drivers :

1.) get created
2.) help eke out every last ounce of performance of the Pandora.

Does anyone know what the memory throughput is on the Pandora?

Back