How Possible Is Doom 3?

I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but nexuiz will definetly not run on the Pandora with everything on. Infact, it's more needy then Doom 3. I know because my old machine which ran Doom 3 like it was riding down a water pipe nearly chocked on Nexuiz. There's so much pretty in that game that you need a Crysis capable machine to run it with full effects.

ish420 said:
It looks awesome. Now if the community would pick this up, it would totally own any gaming handheld out there. It is so rare to find a good looking homebrew game.(any homebrew community) Most are 8bit looking and they are not even as fun as a 32KB Nintendo game. With something like this, Doom3 would not even be an issue.

ASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH
are you mentally retarded or just really, really stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:
PoisonedV said:
ASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH
are you mentally retarded or just really, really stupid?

Knock off the name calling. You're already on double super secret probation.

im getting sick of reading posts about :can pandora run this game:

the original xbox can run doom 3 very nicely once it was optimised and i am very sure that if the pandora got the same attention it could do an even better job of running doom 3 but i cant see it happening any time soon as the cpu for the pandora is quite different and would take much more work to port the gpu setup as well.

its all pie in the sky unless someone says they will be porting it and asking if a game would run is all well and good if you can back it up
with source code then soneone on here may well port it if they fancy the challenge.

i wish most of the crap posts on the forum would be deleted and only
factual information and news was available,theres too much crap getting posted,complaints,worries and non productive chat/questions
to read through,and whats worse is that the pandora team seem to think
its a good idea to add in that they will be upgrading the pandora to 256
and there will be slight delays,and theres also banking problems all scattered throughout the entire forum without creating an actual post.

i had to read through lots of crap just to get to the ,Craigix posts on whats happening,yes i know theres the news thred and thank god for that but its not very professonal nor is it the way to do things when all
i read was Hints at what might be,seeing as there would likely be a problem with the banks,wtf is that all about,just come out and say it
man,and becase of the lack of a proper formal news letter or heading post from the pandora team we are now littered with scare posts,
complaints,and questions regarding all of the above.

why cant we have a pandora chat room and more inforced rules when
it comes to posting,ohh and while we are at it,get some rules for the pandora team to follow.

And to think i thought all people from scotland were intelligent.

Whine less kthx.

not directed at me i hope..

its a shortcut to thinking if you had actuly thought all scottish people were intelligent.

Memory throughput is horrendous. 1.3GB/s. We have four times the capacity the original xbox, but five times less throughput.

paddy said:
im getting sick of reading posts about :can pandora run this game:
Well craigix said recently that he thinks it can run on the pandora so I'm assuming that's why this thread was made...

Phawx said:
Memory throughput is horrendous. 1.3GB/s. We have four times the capacity the original xbox, but five times less throughput.
All depends on the configuration.

This is from a old anandtech article:

The Xbox features a 64MB memory subsystem made up of four 4x32Mb DDR SDRAM chips. Our unit featured Samsung chips but as time goes on Microsoft may choose to explore other DRAM manufacturers for memory. The memory used on the Xbox is very fast by PC memory standards but only decent by video memory standards. The Samsung chips used on our unit are 5ns parts that run at 200MHz DDR offering the effective bandwidth of a 400MHz solution. When combined with NVIDIA's 128-bit TwinBank memory architecture this offers a total of 6.4GB/s of memory bandwidth that is to be shared between the IGP and the CPU.

The 133MHz FSB path to the CPU limits the maximum amount that the CPU can ever use of that bandwidth to 1.06GB/s, leaving a minimum of 5.34GB/s to be used by the rest of the system. However you also must realize that these are peak theoretical bandwidth numbers which will really never be reached in a real-world scenario.

While the difference between the Xbox is less then first expected, its still rather large... I noticed the same thing a while ago, comparing the dell x50v with the Pandora's capability ( 10* increase in gpu power, but a limited increase in bandwidth speed ). This does look like a problem, when your sharing the bandwidth not only with the cpu, but also with the gpu. To put thing in perspective, a really old ati x700 has 12GB/s of bandwidth.

This really old ati x700 was already very good... even though it doesn't compare to the gfx cards available today, it still delivers graphics way better than any of those integrated cards (or eeepc/psp/nds if you'd like to compare).
The bandwidth problem will only actually be a problem if you expect to play something as heavy as doom 3 with big textures and such, other than that, it should be enough.

Lighting and other fancy effects don't require much, if any bandwidth compared to textures, so it may be an option to "cover up" the low-res textures we'll have to use with these effects.

On a 4.3" screen? There's hardly a need for big textures with the pandora, so there's no need to cover up anything.

Been thinking about something. Xbox vs Pandora Bandwidth can be less of a issue thanks to the GPU's compression. The Xbox is a by todays standards, very old feature set design, where as the GPU is compared to the capability of dx10 feature set. If the textures are re-compressed to the native compression format of the SGX, there might be a big save in bandwidth possible here... Or am i just going boinkers?

Back