How Possible Is Doom 3?

Vince2501

I asked this question a while back, and was told that it isn't possible then the thread was quickly closed.

Granted the source has yet to be released, but it's only a matter of time now that ID is working on Doom 4, and all signs point to the source being released around the time Doom 4 is released.

Now with the Pandora's 256 MB of RAM, how possible is it to get Doom 3 on this machine?

Vince2501 said:
I asked this question a while back, and was told that it isn't possible then the thread was quickly closed.

Granted the source has yet to be released, but it's only a matter of time now that ID is working on Doom 4, and all signs point to the source being released around the time Doom 4 is released.

Now with the Pandora's 256 MB of RAM, how possible is it to get Doom 3 on this machine?

Craig seems to think it's quite possible. He recently mentioned it again recently. I think the general consensus is that it could work pretty well with moderate graphics and heavy optimization.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible, I think it would be pushing the hardware to the limits (in a good way), it's a pretty big goal to get it running once they release the source.

I didn't enjoy doom 3 at all.

Quake 3, Now that will be fun. What is the story with Q3, is there already a port for arm or is anyone with the know-how shown any interest in porting it?

It's a bold statement to make considering Pandora will be released well before Doom 3's source code is. He also never stated that it would run full speed. 3 to 5 fps would definetly be possible. Gotta read between the lines.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to get it to run at a playable speed. It worked fine on my old fx5200 at 800x600, there's no reason downscaling some things can't make it play well.

There was a port/hack where Doom3 runs on a some Voodoo graphical adapter with 8mb.
Do not forget "heavy" sound system of Doom3. As I remember the Doom3 was very laggy on on-board audio-cards.

Textures won't be needing to be lowered quite as much now, and doom 3 ran on my 1.6ghz, 256 mb ram, 1024x768 with onboard graphics card on medium settings. id say its possible.

doom 3 would be so nice to have on the pandora and yeah one day it will be ported but cant see ID releasing the source until wolfinstien is out and atm that games still TBA isnt it?

joa said:

Quake 3, Now that will be fun. What is the story with Q3, is there already a port for arm or is anyone with the know-how shown any interest in porting it?
Ioquake3 is already in the Angström repo :)

DisgruntleElf said:
It's a bold statement to make considering Pandora will be released well before Doom 3's source code is. He also never stated that it would run full speed. 3 to 5 fps would definetly be possible. Gotta read between the lines.
3 to 5fps is way too low. I say 20-30 fps on moderate settings(400x240 with pixel doubling and low-medium details)

joa said:

I think I know what you mean... Many people say the same thing about Doom3 that's "Walk into room, you're ambushed, blast blast etc etc". But saying that I did actually enjoy playing the game, I think it was more the nostalgia of seeing all my old favourite monsters reborn in real 3D and all it's glory, but the overall feel of the game was disappointing.

Knowing the above, I must say that it's very atmospheric, dark and full of surprises, which was kinda like the orginals. I loved the game when you got to Hell and you hear the stomping of some monsters in the background way before you meet them, and the stomping gets louder the further you progress :). I also loved the bit's where you're out on the surface of Mars and it's moons, very well done that was.

Lets face it, although Doom3 wasn't as good as it could have been, it's quite true to the original! And that is, run around, be surprised, fight for your life in the dark. The only thing I am sad about is the original doom you could usually wander around at your leisure and possibly complete maps in any number of ways, but Doom3 is unfortunately a bit linear, shame about that.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Knowing the above, I must say that it's very atmospheric, dark and full of surprises, which was kinda like the orginals. I loved the game when you got to Hell and you hear the stomping of some monsters in the background way before you meet them, and the stomping gets louder the further you progress :). I also loved the bit's where you're out on the surface of Mars and it's moons, very well done that was.
Do you remember a child crying in Hell at the entrance of the cave? That was really creepy :)
Playing it for the first time, home alone, throughout the night with no additional lights on was a great experience :)

After seeing what this community has been able to do on the GP32 and GP2X, I think we'll be seeing some decent Doom 3 performance, at least down the road if not right away. I was able to run it on a pretty craptastic computer when it first came out, although performance was iffy in some areas.

As for the game itself, I liked it quite a bit, even if it was a bit repetitive. See dark corner. See zombie in dark corner. Shoot. etc. I set a rule for myself to only play it at night with all the lights off, and that helped with the atmosphere. :D And the much hated flashlight issue actually made things more interesting IMO.

mechanizeddeath said:
And the much hated flashlight issue actually made things more interesting IMO.
Oh yes, the flashlight was a major part, having only the flashlight as a light source in some areas was excellent, especially as it had a short battery life. It really made you really use light as a premium. If your torch went out all out had was the sound around you, and flippin heck more than once you would hear a growl in your ear and it would freak you out, BLAM BLAM you shoot and see a creature lit up by the gun blast.....

Freekingly scary at times I must admit!

Remember that we first have to wait for the source to be released, which may not happen - and then we have to port it. Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but Carmack's Reverse is a patented shadow volume technique that's not owned by id Software. So unless Creative gives them permission to release the source, it may not happen.

(or we may get a slightly encumbered open source release that doesn't include Carmack's Reverse...which means no pretty shadows, for free anyway)

ShyGuy said:
Remember that we first have to wait for the source to be released, which may not happen - and then we have to port it. Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but Carmack's Reverse is a patented shadow volume technique that's not owned by id Software. So unless Creative gives them permission to release the source, it may not happen.

(or we may get a slightly encumbered open source release that doesn't include Carmack's Reverse...which means no pretty shadows, for free anyway)
From what I understand, it is legal to release the source code for an implementation of a patent, without first licensing it. It is only when you actually use the patented method that you need a license.

Right. That's the problem: when it's converted into an open source engine, that team is infringing on Creative's rights unless they also have permission. I doubt id Software would knowingly create that kind of a situation.

Projects like LAME figured it out years ago: release source code only. Tell users that if they compile and use it themselves, they need to license the patent.

ShyGuy said:

How would someone be able to release iDTech 4 engine games- they don't all go and get patent licensing against this silly deal. I'll bet that iD arranged the rights to sublicense anyone using the engine code (You can't take the code in question and place it in another engine without a license from Creative, but you can make derivative works available using the original engine code and not need one...)- which can have a licensing deal framed in so it's compliant with the GPLv2 license. ;)

Back