Release VVVVVV for Pandora

Ohh, having fun (most of the time) playing this... Just done the tower part.

Pickle, I don't suppose you could add in an option to disable up/down triggering the flip - I lost count of the number of times I died in the tower due to unwanted flips.

Thanks for porting it!

I've noticed the same slowdown with the highly animated backgrounds. Clocking up a bit actually makes that a lot better.
Fusion_Power will never overclock for a pseudo 8Bit game with 4bit looking graphics, even if it is a 32bit game! ;)

I have my principes. ^^

Fusion_Power will never overclock for a pseudo 8Bit game with 4bit looking graphics, even if it is a 32bit game! ;)

4-bit? So, 16 colors? That seems a bit silly. I didn't spend a lot of time counting, but from the screenshots I looked at, it looks like at least a couple dozen colors are used (I stopped counting at 10, which was after looking at 3 different screenshots). So it would have to be at least 5-bit based on that. :p

Of course, if you're talking about 4-bit processors, that's even sillier, because that's basically saying it's at the level of a 70's calculator. Game consoles all have used at least an 8-bit processor historically, and the same goes for PCs.

Ha, well if the CPU needs it, I throttle it up.

Though the game is a bit easier throttling the CPU down, maybe you just can't handle it at full speed? ;) :p

Paeyrn : yeah thats possible, ill look into it

I think 650 Mhz is fine for most of the game so far. Like Ive said earlier I think once i get a simple scalar in it could be better than the opengl method.

The graphic options are still going to be unstable. Mixing SDL and EGL is very sensitive such that any wrong call or change can freeze the gpu. I will try to get both modes working interchangeably, but i may end up compiling the opengl out if the sw render proves better.

I went back to putting the unlock.vvv in the pnd for the reasons above. If someone had already ran the pnd they would already have this file in the appdata. None of my pnd's ever overwrite files. Thats why I specifically said previous users would have to manually change the config file. Its an inconvenience but it solves the problem.

This is a beta release anyhow :)

Well I just completed this on the Pandora (altho I don't have all the shiny trinkets yet) an I really enjoyed it. Fantastic, original game. The elephant bit was bizarre. Anyone managed to get the really difficult trinket on the Pandora yet? The one thats got the msg screen just before it that says "They'll never get this one".

Well I just completed this on the Pandora (altho I don't have all the shiny trinkets yet) an I really enjoyed it. Fantastic, original game. The elephant bit was bizarre. Anyone managed to get the really difficult trinket on the Pandora yet? The one thats got the msg screen just before it that says "They'll never get this one".

I also just happened to finish the game last night, i think i have 14 trinkets so far.

The hard trinket is called Veni Vidi Vici, I have attempted to try and get it, the farthest Ive gotten is up and slighty back down ;-)

Ha, well if the CPU needs it, I throttle it up.

Though the game is a bit easier throttling the CPU down, maybe you just can't handle it at full speed? ;) :p
I even can't handle the game in low speed. ;) No clue how you guys can play this game through without godmode. I see no way, especialy these rubber band levels and the ones with alot of enemies are annoying. Not to mention the auto scrolling vertical one. I die a gazillon times, guess I'm just getting old. :ph34r:

The graphic options are still going to be unstable. Mixing SDL and EGL is very sensitive such that any wrong call or change can freeze the gpu. I will try to get both modes working interchangeably, but i may end up compiling the opengl out if the sw render proves better.
A workaround would be to remove the graphic options from the game, so nobody can mess it up. ;) Just include the right settings on startup, should be enough to play the game. I doubt anyone needs windowed mode or other scaling options on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:

I also just happened to finish the game last night, i think i have 14 trinkets so far.

The hard trinket is called Veni Vidi Vici, I have attempted to try and get it, the farthest Ive gotten is up and slighty back down ;-)
I've seen a video of SO doing the trip up&down 5 times in a row.... I'm not yet there ;)

I got the difficult one, alas after dieing about a hundred times trying I clocked my Pandora down to 300 MHz to slow it a bit down (and still needed a dozen tries). Cheating I know but oh well. :)

I even can't handle the game in low speed. ;) No clue how you guys can play this game through without godmode. I see no way, especialy these rubber band levels and the ones with alot of enemies are annoying. Not to mention the auto scrolling vertical one. I die a gazillon times, guess I'm just getting old. :ph34r:

Ha, don't feel bad. I'll openly admit to dying a gazillion times. :D

It would be nice to buy the full version for the Pandora, just so the author can track sales that are Pandora related, and this information would be great for the community regarding future ports.
Solved that little problem like so.
This looks like another forum? Where can I buy the full .PND download? That's what I'm asking for. If you can point me in the right direction, maybe I'm missing something. Thanks for the reply regardless.

It would be nice to buy the full version for the Pandora, just so the author can track sales that are Pandora related, and this information would be great for the community regarding future ports.
Solved that little problem like so.
This looks like another forum? Where can I buy the full .PND download? That's what I'm asking for. If you can point me in the right direction, maybe I'm missing something. Thanks for the reply regardless.

Link there isnt a PND you should ever have to purchase, what you need to purchase is the PC version. I personally bought the game during the humble bundle. You can buy the game through steam. There are some links on the first post too that i saw, so you may want to investigate those.

I'm thinking that Link's point is that it would be good to be able to directly purchase ports like this as PNDs including the data, so that clear purchasing stats are available, which could be pointed to when asking permission for porting closed, commercial titles. :p

I'm thinking that Link's point is that it would be good to be able to directly purchase ports like this as PNDs including the data, so that clear purchasing stats are available, which could be pointed to when asking permission for porting closed, commercial titles. :p

Sure it would, but our current distribution systems to not yet support that.

Thanks Prometheus for clarifying my request. And Pickle, thanks for the port!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back