Release VVVVVV for Pandora

the goods have arrived ;-)

Update: VVVVVV has a software render path so its working on the pandora. Have some things I want to try to make it better. But looking good so far :)

Great news Pickle, good luck with the port. Any news as to how this will be made available to the community? i.e. will it be an engine only port that uses the data files from the desktop version?

the goods have arrived ;-)

Update: VVVVVV has a software render path so its working on the pandora. Have some things I want to try to make it better. But looking good so far :)

Great news Pickle, good luck with the port. Any news as to how this will be made available to the community? i.e. will it be an engine only port that uses the data files from the desktop version?

Yes I am allowed to release a binary only so if you own the pc version then your set.

Totally awesome :D

BTW: Pickle, if you have a working version until tomorrow night, I'll take it with me to the ReplayExpo :D

I bought every HumbleBundle, so I got the game data :)

Oh, and about Crayon Physics Deluxe:

It's planned to also integrate an optional payment setup into the repo sometimes next year, that would be perfect for games like Crayon Physics Deluxe.

The good thing: Unlike other appstores, the developer will get 100% of the payment (well, except for PayPal / whatever fees) :)

Something by the weekend at the latest. The in game felt a bit slow, but i need to analyze it first.

Doesnt help the game uses 32 bpp, need to see if i can bump it down to 16 bpp.

There is some opengl code Im going to convert. I got started on it last night but need another day to finish and try it. It may not help since its just trying to use opengl to offload drawing the frambuffer but the memory throughput may make performance worse.

Yes I am allowed to release a binary only so if you own the pc version then your set.
Perfect. :)

No new Download the Game. It's not that big and most of the GameData seems to be Music though. But so I can instantly start. Are Savegames from PC Version compatible?

Something by the weekend at the latest. The in game felt a bit slow, but i need to analyze it first.

Strange, the Game looks like it could run on an NES or even gameboy, where goes all the Pandora Power? And aren't even 8 Bit bpp enough for it? ;)

EDIT: I've read that VVVVV indeed was made in FLASH - but Game Data look like SDL -strange. ^^"

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: I've read that VVVVV indeed was made in FLASH - but Game Data look like SDL -strange. ^^"
Terry have build 2 version of VVVVVV, the 1st one was in flash, that's what you can play on the website. the v2 is the desktop version and is build on top of SDL (and openGL it seems)

according to wiki pedia...

VVVVVV is a 2D puzzle platform video game designed by Terry Cavanagh and scored by Magnus Pålsson. The game was built in Adobe Flash and released on January 11, 2010 for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. The game was ported to C++ by Simon Roth in 2011, and released as part of the Humble Indie Bundle #3. The port to C++ allowed the release of a previously-cancelled version of VVVVVV for Linux. A version for the Nintendo 3DS has been announced.

I just with I had more talent for this game. No chance in advancing without god mode unfortunately. :( VVVVVV gets really hard for my poor skils. ^^

So how many attempts did that Veni Vidi Vici part take you guys? I died well over 50 times, not sure what the exact count was, might have been even double that.

There is some opengl code Im going to convert. I got started on it last night but need another day to finish and try it. It may not help since its just trying to use opengl to offload drawing the frambuffer but the memory throughput may make performance worse.

It seems crazy to be reading about performance issues with an 8-bit-esque game like this. I know these days we have all sorts of abstraction layers and stuff... how did things get so bloated compared to the days of actual 8-bit hardware?

It's not a criticism of this game's code (or the porter!), just something I often ponder.

It seems crazy to be reading about performance issues with an 8-bit-esque game like this. I know these days we have all sorts of abstraction layers and stuff... how did things get so bloated compared to the days of actual 8-bit hardware?

It's not a criticism of this game's code (or the porter!), just something I often ponder.

Been reading more of the code, the game uses alpha which only works with 32 bpp. Even thought the actual colors are low the alpha is being used to do fade effects.

Back