Vmware Dev Enviroment Image...

torpor said:
Can you tell us what is the state of the VFP and NEON extensions in the compiler being used?

NEON is definitely supported, I'm not sure about VFP but I'm pretty sure it does.

I'm using the latest version of the CodeSourcery toolchain, so its whatever that supports.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually start my development work by using one of the server images from here - http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

there's no reason for X etc to be present is there ?

Ubuntu server install is like 190 odd megs compressed.
Download, update , add additional packages, recompress and share.

Vertice said:
there's no reason for X etc to be present is there ?

Ubuntu server install is like 190 odd megs compressed.
Download, update , add additional packages, recompress and share.

Yes, there is. The SDK image I'm making is a fully-fledged desktop environment using Code::Blocks as the IDE (preconfigured).

If you want to alienate new users, the best way to do it is to present them with a command line, so my image is made to be as user friendly as possible, even if the elitists want to argue about it requiring a particular IDE or not doing things 'properly'

Hi PokeParadox,

Do you still have a copy of my "toolchain installer" script ?
I did lost it during a big server crash, and would maybe take some time to improve it :)

See you.

PokeParadox said:
torpor said:
I've got a dev environment set up in VM for Beagleboard and Pandora already, but I don't think its something I want to share as its over 30 gigs large .. better would be to just use the onboard compiler. ;)

/ducks

30GB? Wow... How I was handling this was basically starting from nothing, and then apt-get -ing what was possible using an install script.
I had a copy a cpasjuste's Pandora toolchain script which would setup the compiler(and I preconfigured Code::Blocks to use it) although I had to copy his libpack to my webspace since his site borked recently...
Anyway I digress, but my test version 7zipped came to about 180MB... although you had quite a bit of web install to endure. The finalised install increases the size to about 2GB.
It is something I want to improve, basically setting up scripts to download the relevant cross compiler for the target you are interested in. Again this is all Penjin oriented, but that's not to say you would be limited to just writing stuff using Penjin.

Cpasjuste said:
Hi PokeParadox,

I did lost it during a big server crash, and would maybe take some time to improve it :)

See you.

Hello,

If he lost it, i still have a version on my linux box if someone wants it (downloaded 14-2-2009, man has it been that long already?)
I know allmost nothing about scripts, so don't expect improvements from me ;)

Cheers!

Yes yes, we are working on that crap since a long time now :p

MarkoeZ said:
Cpasjuste said:
Hi PokeParadox,

See you.

Hello,

If he lost it, i still have a version on my linux box if someone wants it (downloaded 14-2-2009, man has it been that long already?)

Cheers!

Cpasjuste said:
Yes yes, we are working on that crap since a long time now :p

MarkoeZ said:
Cpasjuste said:
Hi PokeParadox,

See you.

Hello,

Cheers!
Sure pm inbound. :)

So anyone ever get around to finishing this? I don't want to worry about setting up the IDE, would rather just have an image I can load up in VMWare or a proper step-by-step guide.

Any progress reports on this? Since it doesn't seem like there will be a viable alternative to compile directly from Windows, a Vmware image with everything set up would be the next best thing.
Ideally I'd like to do all my editing etc. in Windows (UltraEdit rules) and then just switch to a linux-prompt in VMware and type 'make'...

Sdw said:
Any progress reports on this? Since it doesn't seem like there will be a viable alternative to compile directly from Windows, a Vmware image with everything set up would be the next best thing.
Ideally I'd like to do all my editing etc. in Windows (UltraEdit rules) and then just switch to a linux-prompt in VMware and type 'make'...

Hello

I was also wondering if anyone could "dd" his pandora and create a vmware image ?

_David_ said:
Hello

I was also wondering if anyone could "dd" his pandora and create a vmware image ?
That would be the most useless vmware image I can think of, and it wouldnt make any sense to dump a NAND flash into a HDD image.
Also, it wouldnt run, pandora's linux is compiled for ARM. Vmware is an x86 on x86 virtualizer.

_David_ said:

No need to "dd" a pandora, the file you are looking for are there.
I didn't knew vmware was able to run ARM binaries....

EDIT: ninja'd, That's what happen when collegue come to speak :p

sebt3 said:
_David_ said:

No need to "dd" a pandora, the file you are looking for are there.
I didn't knew vmware was able to run ARM binaries....

EDIT: ninja'd, That's what happen when collegue come to speak :p

you guys are right,vmware can not , but armware can :)( http://code.google.com/p/armware/), or Qemu
Im not sure what files to use to create the VM thought :\

Back