Hosting For Pandora Sdk

You could also write a setup script that pulls all files via wget/git and builds the toolchain on a predefined vm image (script portability not required). With that you should avoid the hosting of large files and you are not redistributing all the packages (license?).

Phonic .. reply to my posts :) I'm really worried here that you're gtting a pile of people sucking down an 'sdk' that sounds like it will not work, and does not include necessary bits. (ie: We really want libpnd to be standard, and if peopel start pushign around 'SDKs' that don't include it, it might just slow adoption right there. But you might annoy a lot of people if you're not including all the necessary libs, so real world apps can't work.

ie: Out of the box, CSL can compile hello world no problem, since it includes glibc.

(make suer you use the absolute latest CSL as well, since you run into compatibility issues with the older one that uses older glibc.)

However, out of the box, CSL can't make SDL apps or gtk or qt or the like, and you need the libs from our images to do it.

*worries*

jeff

skeezix said:
Phonic .. reply to my posts :) I'm really worried here that you're gtting a pile of people sucking down an 'sdk' that sounds like it will not work, and does not include necessary bits. (ie: We really want libpnd to be standard, and if peopel start pushign around 'SDKs' that don't include it, it might just slow adoption right there. But you might annoy a lot of people if you're not including all the necessary libs, so real world apps can't work.

ie: Out of the box, CSL can compile hello world no problem, since it includes glibc.

(make suer you use the absolute latest CSL as well, since you run into compatibility issues with the older one that uses older glibc.)

However, out of the box, CSL can't make SDL apps or gtk or qt or the like, and you need the libs from our images to do it.

*worries*

jeff

I actually stopped uploading this morning after some connection issues, after seeing your posts I'm going to wait before trying again :p

It's currently using the absolute latest version of the toolchain from CodeSourcery, atm I'm trying to fetch and build the various parts of the op GIT repo - but not all of them seem to work for me at the moment.

If you're on IRC, maybe you could take me through what else is needed?

Last edited by a moderator:
phonic? I'm around right now, don't see you.

Easy though..

libpnd is here:
http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-libraries.git;a=summary

You should suck down (at any given time, as it changes daily :) the latest source; it makes fine in x86 or arm and works on many distributions.. always expanding it to have some more handy stuff for people and fixing up and growing the pnd system, such as it is.

As to OS firmware images, they're also very much in-flux as we update drivers and kernel and library versions and tune things and so on .. but I can perhaps tar up a snapshot of the libs, so you have _something_ to work on :) ie: The libs would pribably change (add a few missing ones mostly, maybe some slight version bumps), but certainly shoudl be good enough to start. I dont' want to point you at our image download location yet, as dont' want it public yet (not sure, maybe it is already, but I don't want to be the leakpoint :) But if you like, Ic an put up a couple hundred MB file on my server for you suck down with current libs.

With 'normal headers', CSL toolchain, libpnd and the ARM libs, you're gold; the rest is handy (an dI'd say very good .. it is ideal to build your SDL-app for example with local x86, test it, and then hit 'make pandoraversion' or whateveer to spit out the .pnd or foo.bin for trying on the real hardware.

Not having used Code::Blocks though, hopefully you can set up dual targets. (ie: akin to Visual Studio, setting Debug build versus Release build, or other custom named Builds. So user could just pick x86 or arm and hit build.. that'd rock :)

I shoudl have a couple horus freedom tonight, so I can build up the ARM libs tar-file for you then if you like.

You're nearly there though :)

Not sure if C::B can have utility menus to launch scripts, coudl even integrate the genpxml and pnd_make.sh right into it?

jeff

skeezix said:
phonic? I'm around right now, don't see you.

Easy though..

libpnd is here:
http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-libraries.git;a=summary

You should suck down (at any given time, as it changes daily :) the latest source; it makes fine in x86 or arm and works on many distributions.. always expanding it to have some more handy stuff for people and fixing up and growing the pnd system, such as it is.

As to OS firmware images, they're also very much in-flux as we update drivers and kernel and library versions and tune things and so on .. but I can perhaps tar up a snapshot of the libs, so you have _something_ to work on :) ie: The libs would pribably change (add a few missing ones mostly, maybe some slight version bumps), but certainly shoudl be good enough to start. I dont' want to point you at our image download location yet, as dont' want it public yet (not sure, maybe it is already, but I don't want to be the leakpoint :) But if you like, Ic an put up a couple hundred MB file on my server for you suck down with current libs.

With 'normal headers', CSL toolchain, libpnd and the ARM libs, you're gold; the rest is handy (an dI'd say very good .. it is ideal to build your SDL-app for example with local x86, test it, and then hit 'make pandoraversion' or whateveer to spit out the .pnd or foo.bin for trying on the real hardware.

Not having used Code::Blocks though, hopefully you can set up dual targets. (ie: akin to Visual Studio, setting Debug build versus Release build, or other custom named Builds. So user could just pick x86 or arm and hit build.. that'd rock :)

I shoudl have a couple horus freedom tonight, so I can build up the ARM libs tar-file for you then if you like.

You're nearly there though :)

Not sure if C::B can have utility menus to launch scripts, coudl even integrate the genpxml and pnd_make.sh right into it?

jeff

Yep you can setup tools in the menu.
You can also script pre or post build scripts.
EDIT: On a per target basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has a torrent been created? I've got a 1Mb upload/download and I will be able to seed for a few weeks without bandwidth limits (university connection).

No, the image isn't ready yet since it misses a few things still as far as i understand :)

I think this is going to need some solid testing before it becomes useful, and the prospect of downloading 1.6gigs worth of data, then testing it and finding something broken .. well .. guys, I hope you get it sorted, but for now I'll rely on the good ol': Compiler Is Onboard philosophy to get my first Pandora releases done. :) I'll keep an eye on it though, but for those who have gotten this downloaded, please test the hell out of it and report the details. 1.6gigs is just too much of an investment for me right now, especially if something is busted and the whole thing needs to be downloaded again.

Maybe it would make sense to add a Pandora-Developers repo to the VM for future easy updates?

For any easily-installable working sdk (official or not as long as it conforms to the devs' standards), could we maybe have a sticky in the dev forum with links to the downloads and notes on what's inside the tarballs or whatever archive methods are used? Like a mirror list with descriptions.

Example "This sdk (link to tarball or whatever) is for linux i386/686. Produces Pandora-specific binaries."
Example 2 "This sdk (link to installer or whatever) is for Windows 32-bit. Misses xxx library. Produces Pandora-specific binaries in libpnd format."

Just a thought.

I have a 100Mbit unlimited Traffic server located in london.
would be glad to help.

Contact me via callmesascha ~ät~ gmail.com

It's actually vey easy to setup.. If you have a Linux setup or vm already, you need about 20 mins :) I should write it up.. Pm me in a few days.. I'm tied up quite a bit this week :(

jeff

I'd be interested in your writeup, Jeff. :)

I installed the dev environment for my Nokia N810 this weekend (just now starting to play around with it), and it has similar obstacles to overcome as building for Pandora. It looks like Nokia/Maemo went with the approach of building a Scratchbox environment (http://www.scratchbox.org/). For installation they have one shell script that installs and configures Scratchbox, and a second script which installs the SDK. Both installs pull their files from a standard deb repository.

The downside to this is that it is a Linux only approach as far as I know. The upside is that updating works through repositories, so any library fixes and updates can be downloaded pretty easily (unlike a virtual box image). It works with a chroot environment, so you can have both the Arm and Intel libraries installed and switch between compile targets easily.

I haven't used it extensively, so it may be a PITA to use in the real world, but it makes installation and updating of the environment pretty easy, and it automatically pulls the latest files from the repositories. Might be something to consider.

Cheers,
Michael

mduffor --

From the Linux side of things its as easy as I mentioned above --

1) You need a toolchain; you can build your own gcc crosscompiler and basic libs, but I just use CSL (Codesourcery) myself; go to their site, get the linux abi version, 2009-q3 is latest I think. Get the tarball version and not the installer one, and just untar it somewhere. ie: ~/toolchain/arm-2009q3 or whatever.
2) You need ARM libs, preferably identical to the real pandora. When you _have_ a pandora, just copy /usr/lib (and all children) to your SD, and copy that into (say) ~/pandora-image-libs; for now, I should get around to tar'ing it up so you guys can have a snapshot at it.
Anyone got an FTP/scp account I can drop the file onto? I coudl host it myself, but I have the idea you might all leach it like crazy monkeys and cap me out ;)
3) You need headers... but tell you the truth, I use the local linux install's headers just fine; the only snaffu one is QT, since it has dozens of per-arch headers so needs configuration, but you can work around that in your QT .pro file pretty easily.

So right there, you suck down the file from CSL site, you copy in appropriate ARM-built libs, and you're good to go; thats it :) That includes SDL and QT4 and GTK and various audio, includes libpng etc and so on, so you can be up and going at the command line level in 20 mins. Its really that easy.

If you want pre-configured C::B and such, than someone could pack it all up like PHonic is doing.

The main trick he is doing is setting up the VM, so that anyone could use it (linux or mac or windows, could all run the VM and have a self contained build area.) But if you already have linux, its 20 mins :)

Now, CSL does have cygwin Windows builds of the toolchain as well, so you could probably get away without having a VM and do it all native, even on Windows. 20 mins and bam :)

So really, its not too big a deal, its not as nasty as the old days of GP32 for sure ;)

Do you or anyone need me to write up hard examples? (I'm pretty busy right now, so feel free someone else!)

Get me somehweee to upload, and I'll post the current libs (a work in progress and totally going to change by release, but somethign for you guys to work with :)

jeff

Hey skeezix, i sent you a PM on where you could upload it! :)

If there is ever a torrent available I would gladly seed for as long as need be!

I sent the 'WORK IN MOTION' set of libs to atiti there, so now you have .. CSL + usual headers + some arm libs to link against + libpnd -- so you can complete your VM :) (or just use cygwin, or build your own gcc, or whatever :)

jeff

Hi guys,

I've torrented up the stuff skeezix has put up and its now available at:

http://www.patup.com/torrent/1841/Pandora%20Feb23%20ARM%20libs%20-%20Skeezix.html

Or a direct link to the torrent:

http://www.patup.com/dl/1841/pandora-feb24-usrlib.tgz.torrent

Happy leeching! :D

EDIT:
!!OH yes, please read this!!:
"This is purely a set of random ARM-built libs for pandora image;

they _will_ change (more libs coming, possibly some dropping, and likely some version changes.)

I've also done some symlinking to make them easier to link against with gcc and CSL-gcc.

I compile and link against these quite often, and drag tgh resulting binary over to real pandora devboards and works great :)

Combine these + Codesourcery + linux headers == win! :)"

P.S.: Thanks skeezix

A suggestion, rather than actually including a snapshot of the OS in the image, why not include git, and have it pull the latest automatically?
(Unless this is what it's already doing?)

I'm just dubious of anything that might not be up to date in future, especially something this size.

Back