Hosting For Pandora Sdk

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
This is actually being discussed in http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52148-vmware-dev-enviroment-image/

But I wanted to bring it to everyones attention.

I've finished making a VirtualBox appliance for a Pandora SDK. It contains everything you need to build and compile apps for the Pandora, as well as test them locally first.

Problem is, that after zero-ing empty space and compressing the image, the result is 2.12GB in size. Needless to say I have no means of hosting this.

If anyone is able to help or offer suggestions, that would be great :)

Edit:
In case you're wondering "Why the hell is it 2GB? That's huge!"

The CodeSourcery ARM Toolchain is 1.3GB alone
The OpenGL ES SDKs (1.1 and 2.0) are 500MB combined.

So you'd still have to download just as much anyway if you did it yourself :p

Last edited by a moderator:
if we can get some reliable mirrors on websites then get those people to seed the files..

bit torrent is by far the easiest way.

edit: acctually with torrents if the sdk changes then were back to 0 again. unless you have it unzipped or whatever

If you can get it down to 2Gb you could host it in the public folder of a free dropbox account .

Or if you can get at least one other person to sign up for drop box you can will get the dropbox increased to 2.3Gb

Or if enough of us seed, then a torrent would work. But the dropbox could be dynamically updated.

Problem with torrents is that multiple users need to upload and download at the same time, can be really slow if there's not enough people sharing. What about ED's server?

How about providing links to all necessary files and instructions on how to put it all together instead?

how about putting a installer script in the package which uncompresses the SDKs?
I highly doubt you need all files in "/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr/lib/locale/", "/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/thumb2/usr/lib/locale" and so on, which is more than 300MB each. Some other files are also in your default linux install (or very similar) so you can possibly relink them.

JayFoxRox said:
how about putting a installer script in the package which uncompresses the SDKs?
I highly doubt you need all files in "/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr/lib/locale/", "/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/thumb2/usr/lib/locale" and so on, which is more than 300MB each. Some other files are also in your default linux install (or very similar) so you can possibly relink them.

The image is compressed to start with, so the amount downloaded is still the same.

However, it looks like I can strip off 900MB just by taking out unneeded locale data xD

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also use DSL as base (personally I even think X is unnecessary but its a just a matter of personal preference I think) but including an IDE sounds stupid to me because if you are a developer already you have your own preference and if you are a beginner a full IDE might be too much for you and personally I think its wrong to push new developers to one specific tool (especially one like Code::Blocks which I don't like :p).
The GLES SDK comes with binarys for Mac, Linux and Windows, you can also strip that. You should be able to have atleast 50% in the Utilities directory then (also note that some which come with the GLES1.1 SDK also come with GLES2 SDK). Also the textures used can be shared between the samples so you can possibly move them to a common place and then change the code according to that. This should also save about 750kB per sample.
Mask.cpp in the Content directory is also the same usually.
If it was for me, the SDK would just be for cygwin or posix OS directly and have minimal dependencies, providing necessary compilers and librarys and sample code as well as a good bit of documentation.

torrent.

make a torrent, and give it to me or a few poeple.

You can then seed, and when everyone has 100%, they will also be seeding.
Then there is also HTTP seeds, meaning if anyone has some webserver space, they can host it there, and the url can be added to the torrent.

I happened to have a torrent site, and 2 seed boxes, so I could host them if its needed :)

I've got it down to 1.63GB compressed, lets go! xD

Edit:

Atiti is going to host (We've been talking on IRC) So I'll start uploading this evening so it'll be ready tomorrow :)

I can help too, if needed.

731368772.png

Attachments

• 731368772.png
    731368772.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 122
Back