Initial Dev Setup Issues

MooTheKow

Ok - so I'm apparently an idiot and can't get this toolchain stuff set up correctly. I'm trying to follow the steps in the blog at:
http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=109

I downloaded the iso for Ubuntu and installed it on a VMWare machine then downloaded and uncompressed the toolchain on that site.

When I try to compile the quick sample app to verify the toolchain is accessible I get the following error and I don't know why:

mookow@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -Wall DisplayImage.c -o DisplayImage -l SDL

/usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I ran the command:
. /usr/local/angstrom/arm/environment-setup

So.. I have no idea what is going on. I have the file:
mookow@ubuntu:/usr$ find /usr -name 'libmpfr.so'
/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so

Any suggestions?

Hum strange.

I just check at home and it work like a charm :(

Check if it's not a dangling symlink :
Code:
ls -l /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so

sebt3 said:
Hum strange.

Code:

Here is what that outputs:

mookow@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so

lrwxrwxrwx 1 mookow mookow 16 2010-10-26 05:09 /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so -> libmpfr.so.1.1.1

Last edited by a moderator:
MooTheKow said:
sebt3 said:
Hum strange.

Code:

Here is what that outputs:

mookow@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so

lrwxrwxrwx 1 mookow mookow 16 2010-10-26 05:09 /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so -> libmpfr.so.1.1.1
and does /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so.1.1.1 exist ?

sebt3 said:
and does /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libmpfr.so.1.1.1 exist ?

Sure does:

mookow@ubuntu:/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib$ ls -l libmpfr.so.1.1.1

-rwxr-xr-x 1 mookow mookow 241460 2010-06-02 08:30 libmpfr.so.1.1.1

MooTheKow said:
sebt3 said:

Sure does:

mookow@ubuntu:/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib$ ls -l libmpfr.so.1.1.1

Hum. I don't know. It should work like this :(

then you can add "-L/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib" to your gcc command, and it will work.

sebt3 said:
MooTheKow said:
sebt3 said:

Sure does:

Hum. I don't know. It should work like this :(

then you can add "-L/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib" to your gcc command, and it will work.

Weird... tried that and it still didn't work. Tried creating a new VM image from the Ubuntu iso and doing everything again - same problem.

Thanks for trying to help.

MooTheKow said:
/usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
MooTheKow said:
Weird... tried that and it still didn't work. Tried creating a new VM image from the Ubuntu iso and doing everything again - same problem.

Thanks to Yamara on IRC :
Code:
cd /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
ln -s libmpfr.so.1.1.1  libmpfr.so.1
and try again

sebt3 said:
MooTheKow said:
MooTheKow said:

Thanks to Yamara on IRC :
Code:
   cd /usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib
   ln -s libmpfr.so.1.1.1  libmpfr.so.1
and try again

mookow@ubuntu:/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib$ ln -s libmpfr.so.1.1.1 libmpfr.so.1
ln: creating symbolic link `libmpfr.so.1': File exists

mookow@ubuntu:/usr/local/angstrom/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib$ ls -l libmpfr.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mookow mookow 16 2010-10-26 05:09 libmpfr.so.1 -> libmpfr.so.1.1.1

mookow@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -Wall DisplayImage.c -o DisplayImage -l SDL

Ok - nevermind. Got things working. Started over with a new Ubuntu image from:
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/va/147323

Download the 10.04 VMware image from:
http://chrysaor.info/?page=images&filter=Ubuntu

Thanks for your efforts helping me getting this working!

I'm also working on a Windows toolchain for those that want it. Just trying to figure out how to get Code::Blocks to output the proper arch value, and clean up some library differences. Gimme a few days and you'll be able to code in Windows as easily as anywhere else.

I'm interested :) Thank's WizardStan .
I have also a toolchain installed with Codeblocks on Windows but have something badly configured (i think ) on it.

WizardStan said:
I'm also working on a Windows toolchain for those that want it. Just trying to figure out how to get Code::Blocks to output the proper arch value, and clean up some library differences. Gimme a few days and you'll be able to code in Windows as easily as anywhere else.

That would be fancy :)

I keep having the same problem as MooTheKow, also having set-up a VM with Ubuntu (and nothing in this topic fixes it either, but thanks for the effort, especially sebt3).
The problem seems to be related to the 10.10 version, which I also use - the .04 version seems to be fine, also confirmed by PokeParadox, who is having the same problem with .10, but not .04.
I wonder what causes this.

Actually compiling for the Pandora on Windows is not a big problem - I have that set-up for some time now.
Just get the pre-built compilers from CodeSourcery (install them) and extract the libraries from an image of the Pandora's firmware and you are basically ready to go.
skeezix describes it in some more detail here: http://www.rjmitchell.ca/~jeff/blog2009/2010/06/02/getting-up-and-going-with-a-crosscompiler-for-pandora-arm-in-5-minutes/

Though I also would be up for a proper Pandora SDK for Windows, just to have something unified, which also makes tracing down problems easier if everyone is using it - instead of rolling his or her own.

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Though I also would be up for a proper Pandora SDK for Windows, just to have something unified, which also makes tracing down problems easier if everyone is using it - instead of rolling his or her own.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do: pack everything into something easy to install that just works, akin to devkitpro for the NDS and PSP

I'm getting this problem on my workstation, but not on my laptop. The difference is that my workstation runs a 64-bit distro. Could that be what causes the problem? As it seems to be the native side that fails on the cross compiler.

slaeshjag said:

I'm getting this problem on my workstation, but not on my laptop. The difference is that my workstation runs a 64-bit distro. Could that be what causes the problem? As it seems to be the native side that fails on the cross compiler.
Geez, I've read that error about six times, and I didn't got that :blink: thanks.
Here is the library as it is used to build this cc (from the OE staging dir)
extract so the file end in /usr/local/angstrom/arm/lib/
and add this to /usr/local/angstrom/arm/environment-setup :
Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/angstrom/arm/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

And try again ;)

I don't care the number of fail, this will work (but I dont have any 64bits system so ...)

Hmm, nope still produces the same error.
Also I am on 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10 (in a virtualBox).

foxblock said:

would you
Code:
ldd /usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1
?

sebt3 said:
foxblock said:

would you
Code:
ldd /usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1
?

yeah, sorry:
Code:
 janek@Dev-Ubuntu-VB:~$ ldd /usr/local/angstrom/arm/libexec/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/cc1
     linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00d44000)
     libmpfr.so.1 => not found
     libgmp.so.3 => /usr/lib/libgmp.so.3 (0x00836000)
     libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00a52000)
     /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00cb9000)

janek@Dev-Ubuntu-VB:~$ ls /usr/local/angstrom/arm/lib
 gcc                                  libmpfr.la           libpanel.so
 ldscripts                            libmpfr.so           libpanel.so.5
 libarm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-sim.a  libmpfr.so.1         libpanel.so.5.0.4
 libform.a                            libmpfr.so.1.1.1     libtermcap.a
 libform.so                           libncurses.a         libtermcap.so
 libform.so.5                         libncurses.so        libz.a
 libform.so.5.0.4                     libncurses.so.5      libz.so
 libiberty.a                          libncurses.so.5.0.4  libz.so.1
 libmenu.a                            libopkg.a            libz.so.1.2.3
 libmenu.so                           libopkg.so           pkgconfig
 libmenu.so.5                         libopkg.so.0         terminfo
 libmenu.so.5.0.4                     libopkg.so.0.0.0
 libmpfr.a                            libpanel.a
You will need to babysit me on this as I am a total Linux-noob and don't know the commands and what could be useful to you.
I really appreciate your effort :)

foxblock out

EDIT: Creating a link to /usr/local/angstrom/arm/lib/libmpfr.1.1.1 in /usr/lib/ called libmpfr.1 seems to do the trick, but I wonder: is this the right thing to do?

Back