GP2X Gp2nix Developer Environment (poc)

Hi jboody,

I love the SGE site. If you had the time a similar site for GP2niX would be great.

Adding SGE to GP2niX seems like it will be a pretty straight forward affair. Perhaps just placing it in /opt/local/SGE or the like?

A replacement version of the toolchain is being worked on ATM. I noticed the error I made to your makefile ( :wacko: Ooops ) this will also be fixed in tomorrows release.

Going to go and fiddle some more with the DevKit to fix the current errors.

BTW, has anyone seen any 800x600+ wallpapers of the GP2X, preferably simplistic, that I could use in GP2niX? I would be most appreciative.

Talk soon.

torpor posted on Dec 19 2005 at 10:11 AM said:
i look forward to this linux distro .. and i don't agree that putting 'newbie programmers' at a shell prompt is a bad thing .. if you're going to write software, for fun or even for a living, there is utterly no excuse, and i really mean, no excuse, for being scared of the terminal .. newbie programmers who don't want to go near the terminal 'because its not productive for them' are, pretty much, not even near kindergarten, let alone graduating to newbie status .. this is just my opinion of course, but if you can't get the cajone's up to make Makefile, then geeze .. life is going to be one big long drag for you, Mr. Expert Programmer, running away from things you "don't like" ..

;)

write code. run code. repeat.

imo thats a very eliteist attitude.

Having a GUI is useful, even if its just for opening a web browser and getting help / advice (forums, tech docs, etc.) from the web. Plus things like code completion / code hinting improve productivity greatly. Whats easier, typing 40 characters, or 15? Plus if you forget a member variable/function or the like, a good IDE will be there to quickly remind you. No need to start browsing through source code lookinf for the definition of the class/struct.

There nothing special about making a makefile, and imo, if its created for you, thats a couple of minutes saved. I'd rather be thinking about how to develop the actual program, than telling the compiler / linker how to compile it.

If you're hardcore, you don't need makefiles ;) Command line for teh win! etc.

Even professional games programmers have dual monitor setups using the GUI and *shock* Visual Studio.

Last edited by a moderator:
timbobsteve posted on Dec 19 2005 at 03:55 AM said:
Just a side note, GP2niX is not trying to compete with andLinux (or andGP2X), it is instead, meant to be an alternative development environment for those who seek a native linux system to develop for the GP2X console.

This is about the community. It is not about competition... it is about improving and enhancing. By all means, make it better!

Besides, 2 native Linux environments that run in Windows would be excellent. Not only would it give users choice, it would most likely show me lots of ways to improve andLinux. ;-)

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your support Dave, Most appreciated. And Yes, I agree that the more choice the community has the better it will be in the long run.

UPDATE:

Re-Released GP2niX ARM-Linux Toolchain. Files can be downloaded from the GP2niX sourceforge project site.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gp2nix/

The release is set up into to files, the devkit and the test program.

I have fixed the bugs in the test program, hopefully that will compile correctly now. Let me know if it doesn't. The permissions on the devkit directory should have been preserved during packaging this time. Let me know if they are not and I will hurt something (and then go and fix the problem like a civil person ;))

Let me know what you think.

Hi timbobsteve,

It looks like you are getting overzelous about removing files :D

The files stdio.h and stdlib.h are missing. You might also want to reinclude your README file for users who have not tried your SDK. The main thing that they are probably missing is "export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/gp2x/bin"

Also some people might not know to type "make -f Makefile.gp2x" for the gp2x-test program.

--Jeff

Sweet jesus!!! I am turning into a moron.... I am always in such a rush to get to work I make some shitty little mistake and mess up the fixes LOL. Will repair tonight and upload again 2morrow.

UPDATE:

I lost everything the other day when I made a studip mistake imaging my HDD. 200Gb gone! including my progress on GP2niX. This is no doubt a major set back for he project. I spent last night rebuilding a base linux system. I finally found the correct distro to use, Core Linux. It weighs in at <150mb installed. It is perfect for building another distro off, and better yet, its completely source based.

I have added libs and X and the install is back up to 429mb uncompressed, wich is not too bad seeing as how I installed all the libs I wanted, not caring about space. After stripping examples/doc/tutorials from some of the libs it cabe back down to 375mb uncompressed and this includes gcc/glibc/g++ etc, plus some heavy duty libraries like QT (which will probably go late).

Note, however, that this only includes the linux environment, I am yet to add GP2X related build stuff (Crosscompiler and libs) so it will probably go up about another 90mb in size (after stripping the libs/bins)

Just wanted to let you know of the progress.

I have also been working on an alternative XFree86 build called Kdrive (formerly TinyX). Haven't got it to build yet, but if I can it will save alot of bloat.

vote here for pygame inclusion. X would be nice but it's not a requisite. I do know a coupla guys that can't seem to code unless they have boobies on the desktop though...

edit: ooh, I jumped ahead and posted before I saw you switched to core. good idea. That'll teach you a ton *and* keep down the bloat.

timbobsteve - when are you planning on releasing your toolchain? I've driven myself nuts trying to build one....

I have the toolchain all setup and workding. The entire system is damn near perfect (according to my preferences :p).

I also have been driving myself nuts, except I have been doing it over the linux live scripts. I can create the full bootable ISO (220MB :D) and it boots until completion, but it fails to start any Virtual Terminals... so the user is left staring at the dmesg output with no login prompt or keyboard input. It is seriously giving me the sh@!s. I have tried every method I can think of.

I can however distribute the virtual machine files for vmware that you can run using VmWare Player (free)?

Until I can sort out these other issues with linux-live scripts I am stuck with only that option.

Anyone out there ever done a linux-live scripts build before? I could sure use the help.

Back