Vmware Dev Enviroment Image...

MooTheKow

I was wondering if there were any devs out there with a VMWare image setup containing linux with all the appropriate toolchain stuff setup that wanted to share and save me the trouble of trying to figure out everything on my own?

PhonicUK said:
mcobit said:
VM ware is x86 only as i recall...

Crosscompile environment?

Maybe I'll do something like this over the weekend.

That would be super. I've been wanting to start getting into dev work for the Pandora for some time now.. but for whatever reason getting the proper environment setup for development has been causing me to continually put it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
MooTheKow said:
I was wondering if there were any devs out there with a VMWare image setup containing linux with all the appropriate toolchain stuff setup that wanted to share and save me the trouble of trying to figure out everything on my own?
I did have a testing minimal Ubuntu image(for VirtualBox) with C::B setup and RabbitVCS It worked but it needs a little more work. Also it is geared towards compiling Penjin projects, but yah it worked.

I've got a dev environment set up in VM for Beagleboard and Pandora already, but I don't think its something I want to share as its over 30 gigs large .. better would be to just use the onboard compiler. ;)

/ducks

torpor said:
I've got a dev environment set up in VM for Beagleboard and Pandora already, but I don't think its something I want to share as its over 30 gigs large .. better would be to just use the onboard compiler. ;)

/ducks

30GB? Wow... How I was handling this was basically starting from nothing, and then apt-get -ing what was possible using an install script.
I had a copy a cpasjuste's Pandora toolchain script which would setup the compiler(and I preconfigured Code::Blocks to use it) although I had to copy his libpack to my webspace since his site borked recently...
Anyway I digress, but my test version 7zipped came to about 180MB... although you had quite a bit of web install to endure. The finalised install increases the size to about 2GB.
It is something I want to improve, basically setting up scripts to download the relevant cross compiler for the target you are interested in. Again this is all Penjin oriented, but that's not to say you would be limited to just writing stuff using Penjin.

I agree that it would be nice to have a common Development VM environment for folks to use .. maybe this is something we can work on as more of us get our Pandora's and can test things out and see what the integration is like .. then again I'm mostly planning on using the onboard compiler myself, so ..

I'm building one now based on XUbuntu using VirtualBox, picked VBox over VMWare because it's free (both senses) software.

Anyone know where I can host the image when it's done? I can't quite hack sticking a ~500-1000MB archive on my own server.

I'll include the appropriate ARM toolchain, code::blocks + template, tools to switch to Pandora resolution, etc.

If nobody else has any issues or anything better, any objections to making the 'official' SDK image? I'd be happy to do this for the community :)

Edit: Maybe 500-1000 is a bit of a pessimistic estimate, seems 300MB is more realistic...

Edit Again: Nope, Over a gig compressed...

PhonicUK> Maybe it's possible to set up a torrent (is http://linuxtracker.org/ any good??), or maybe ask Openpandora if they are kind enough to host it.

PhonicUK said:
I'm building one now based on XUbuntu using VirtualBox, picked VBox over VMWare because it's free (both senses) software.

Anyone know where I can host the image when it's done? I can't quite hack sticking a ~500-1000MB archive on my own server.

I'll include the appropriate ARM toolchain, code::blocks + template, tools to switch to Pandora resolution, etc.

If nobody else has any issues or anything better, any objections to making the 'official' SDK image? I'd be happy to do this for the community :)

Edit: Maybe 500-1000 is a bit of a pessimistic estimate, seems 300MB is more realistic...

Edit Again: Nope, Over a gig compressed...
Make sure you rezero the free space before compressing it.

Have you tried 7z it usually gives great compression results when set to a higher level (can take some time then, though) - I recall PokeParadox' image beeing 180MB zipped and over 1GB unzipped.
Apart from that you could try UHARC or something similar (as I don't think anybody will be willing to download a gig-sized image).

It would be great to have a already set-up compile environment for the Pandora as for me I usually only use Windows and don't want to install Linux just for that purpose.
Also has somebody looked into modifying DSL (Damn Small Linux) for such a purpose?

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Have you tried 7z it usually gives great compression results when set to a higher level (can take some time then, though) - I recall PokeParadox' image beeing 180MB zipped and over 1GB unzipped.
Apart from that you could try UHARC or something similar (as I don't think anybody will be willing to download a gig-sized image).

It would be great to have a already set-up compile environment for the Pandora as for me I usually only use Windows and don't want to install Linux just for that purpose.
Also has somebody looked into modifying DSL (Damn Small Linux) for such a purpose?

foxblock out

Its 3GB uncompressed, 1GB compressed as 7z (So far, not got everything in yet : also didn't rezero.)

Xubuntu is probably better for this than DSL for a number of reasons...

- (X)Ubuntu has better community support and is better known, which will help with more inexperienced users using the SDK image for the first time.
- A full package manager means users can add whatever else they want to their local version.

I don't think 1GB is unreasonable for an SDK + VM image. The Apple, Android and Nokia SDKs hit the same kind of size (If not larger) so its pretty much to be expected.

A torrent is a good idea, and maybe OpenPandora would be willing to help hosting it if they like it. Certainly in their interest.

Would be kind of nice to see what Craig/Ed think about me making a full on SDK image for everyone though :)

PhonicUK said:
foxblock said:

foxblock out

Its 3GB uncompressed, 1GB compressed as 7z (So far, not got everything in yet : also didn't rezero.)

Xubuntu is probably better for this than DSL for a number of reasons...

- (X)Ubuntu has better community support and is better known, which will help with more inexperienced users using the SDK image for the first time.
- A full package manager means users can add whatever else they want to their local version.

I don't think 1GB is unreasonable for an SDK + VM image. The Apple, Android and Nokia SDKs hit the same kind of size (If not larger) so its pretty much to be expected.

A torrent is a good idea, and maybe OpenPandora would be willing to help hosting it if they like it. Certainly in their interest.

Would be kind of nice to see what Craig/Ed think about me making a full on SDK image for everyone though :)
I agree with the choice of Xubuntu, it's a lot lighter than Gnome which I used for my test image... I strongly urge you to have a simple apt-get install script if you want to bring the size of the image down. This way things like XFCE can be downloaded quickly using the package manager rather than your/OP/my web space baring the burden.

That said, I would like to collaborate on this image as it shares a common goal.

I'm also cool with XUbuntu, its a workable choice.

As for the Dev environment itself - it would be really nice to have an OpenEmbedded tree set up that reproduces the PandoraOS filesystem (same libs/included tools/etc.) .. I wonder if DJWillis & Co would be willing to move over to using this VM for their purposes?

If so, the addition of distcc and a VPN setup would be *distinctly* unique, I must say ..

We talked about that with djwillis one time, and it's possible (and probably a good idea) to build a toolchain from his OE setup. He is actually very busy with the images, so i guess it's not a priority for now, but will probably come with time.

torpor said:
I'm also cool with XUbuntu, its a workable choice.

As for the Dev environment itself - it would be really nice to have an OpenEmbedded tree set up that reproduces the PandoraOS filesystem (same libs/included tools/etc.) .. I wonder if DJWillis & Co would be willing to move over to using this VM for their purposes?

If so, the addition of distcc and a VPN setup would be *distinctly* unique, I must say ..

It's going quite well. I've made a code::blocks project template that can compile for both x86 and ARM just by changing the target. It's using the latest version of the CodeSourcery toolchain and seems to work well.

If anyone has a Panda/Beagle and is willing to test some output of it so I can check, I would be grateful :)

Back