Using hotfix4, how high can you clock?

Hotfix4 has an option to overclock to the max TI specs, how high can you go?

• 800mhz

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 850mhz

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 900mhz

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 950mhz

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 1Ghz

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • 1.05Ghz

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • 1.1Ghz+

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
We're curious about the average. I tested a random unit here and it went to 1Ghz which is pretty damned good considering the chip is only rated at 600mhz (although it seems TI now say 720).

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.

Still good to know how fast some of these guys fly.

What's a good test of stability? How does one know when the overclocking has gone too far?

True. But still TI rates the lifetime expectancy on this SOC at 40k hours if exclusively run at opp5 and opp6. 5 years of continuous use is quite enough for me.

Overclocking the n900 to 1GHz works without a problem. The interesting thing is lowering the voltage while doing this, which depends on the chip's quality.

edit:

Does the pandora OC option allow you to change the voltage aswell? If so, pople should note how low they can go with it. If not, somebody please paste the voltages used at the mentioned clock speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious, what changed in hotfix 4 that would allow higher overclocking?

Edit: In other words, was it just an option that was included to overclock higher, or was there something done behind the scenes to make it more stable at higher clock speeds, or what?

I'm curious, what changed in hotfix 4 that would allow higher overclocking?

Edit: In other words, was it just an option that was included to overclock higher, or was there something done behind the scenes to make it more stable at higher clock speeds, or what?

The OC script can now change the voltages. So it's more stable at high speeds

Be careful you don't burn the house down with your overclocked Pandora. Is this covered under warranty?

Well, this poll doesn't make sense at the moment until you manually increase the OPP limit.

Basically, the new kernel allows overvolting, but this is disabled by default and can only be enabled in userspace at the moment.

I'm working on a tweak settings script which allows enabling this.

Still good to know how fast some of these guys fly.

What's a good test of stability? How does one know when the overclocking has gone too far?

http://weather.ou.edu/~apw/projects/stress/

stress is one possible test, though it only tests one particular aspect of the cpu.

"stress --cpu 10 --vm 4" will spawn ten processes each computing a random number's square root continuously and four processes continuously allocating and deallocating space in memory. I don't recommend using the --io option or --hdd options on a device with flash memory.

Battery numbers, playing MP3 with lid closed still coming in at about 18 hours (900 MHz, OPP5 and also 250 MHz, OPP1). From what I can see, OPP has minimal impact on battery life at the moment - but I am running with fixed loads. The other changes in the hotfix do mean that standby time is now up to 30 hours, which is nice.

I got 1050mhz stable at OPP5 with the modified kernel Urja sent me, it crashed instantly at 1.1Ghz. I tested stability by running the math-neon benchmarks, so very NEON intensive. I've heard it mentioned that NEON is typically the cause of clocking instabilities. I also tried extended usage of mupen64plus to see if SGX / MEM usage affected it.

I haven't tried HF4 yet.

I tried official kernel with Jdbye's overclock script (thanks a lot Jdbye :) ). I successfully get to 1025 MHz. When I set 1050 MHz it stuck after while in Gianas return (which I use to test). Duno if 1025 MHz can be stable for all time, but it is my peek at this time.

---

EDIT: I definitely gets 1 GHz stable. Tomorrow evening I watch a film. It skipping at 800 MHz, so I tried 1 GHz and it run flawlessly. :pandora: :thumbup: (where are those emoticons! :) )

And for others: If you doesn't have modified overclocking script, then You can't get OPP4 / OPP5 (higher voltage level) for CPU and 1 GHz stay no-go. I think that initial 900+ MHz spec become true :)

Peca, is HF4 final including the new kernel? So do you just need to run Jdbye's script to enable the over/undervolting OPP levels? Or do you have to manually put in a newer kernel than the one included in the final HF4?

I'd really like to test this out and see how this unit performs :)

Back