Using hotfix4, how high can you clock?

Hotfix4 has an option to overclock to the max TI specs, how high can you go?

• 800mhz

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 850mhz

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 900mhz

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 950mhz

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 1Ghz

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • 1.05Ghz

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • 1.1Ghz+

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Mine just goes to 800 also.Which im fine with.I believe its random some go to higher clock speeds like 1ghz etc.If only all pandoras went to 11.

I was using SD.

When using NAND, it also crashes @875, but not instantly.

AC powered or battery powered changes nothing.

Since it's since been said that 1GHz at OPP5 is the maximum allowed within warranty, that's all I've ever tried. My Pandora can do that. Its maximum at OPP3 is 850MHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

Just put yours to OPP5 and play a N64 game on 1Ghz.
strangely i didnt know this.What settings is this opp5 option under?Ive never seen it.

Read the first post in this thread. You can download the overclock-script there. Put it somewhere on your SD-Card or your Pandora. then you have to go into the Terminal.

Type in "sudo" and the path of the file. behind the name of your file you have to set a blank and a the clockspeed you want to have. (let's say 900 MHz)

I put the file into the Root of my SD.

Here is what I have to type in.:

Code:
sudo/media/mmcblk0p1/opp_cpuspeed.sh 900

It'll set the CPUspeed to 900 MHz and the max OPP level to 4.

That's it.

You also can replace the original "opp_spuspeed" data on your NAND but I don't know the folder it's placed. Then you can add some new options in the icon on the pannel which adjusts the CPU speed.

I hope I could help you.

^ It's worth mentioning that this thread dates back to Hotfix 4, and that Hotfix 6 was just released. The script has been available in the menus since Hotfix 5, so there shouldn't be any need to replace any scripts on the NAND, now, nor to use the terminal to access them.

Wow, i never tested it before (did not know where the opp setting were) but it seems i have on of the superpandora's!

I just tested mupen64 on opp5 at 1105MHz. Don't dare to go any higher.

Wow, i never tested it before (did not know where the opp setting were) but it seems i have on of the superpandora's!

I just tested mupen64 on opp5 at 1105MHz. Don't dare to go any higher.
cool.Im gonna test this on a train journey later on.Hope i have a superpandora.

One thing to keep in mind is that things will actually slow down as the CPU speed (and therefore instability) increases. Notably programs that rely heavily on the Neon instructions, such as PCSXRearmed, are likely to crash much sooner than most other apps that only use the CPU and GPU. So just because you can N64 at 1100Mhz doesn't mean you will be able to (or even want to) PSX at even 900Mhz.

Before the Neon instructions were implemented, overclocking was basically unrestricted and mostly required. Now, thanks to Notaz's brilliant skills, you get consistently smooth gameplay at even lower clock rates.

and be prepared for high overclock to crash your xfce in weird ways like temporarily hiding your panel bar and the like, and just because you can overclock to...say 1.1ghz, doesnt make it stable. test it out with some mupen or some flash videos maybe before trying to go higher

875 seems to be about the useful limit for mine (not complaining, this is plenty, I have mine set to default to 400 to save battery life). At 900, I could navigate around the desktop, but Quake 3 and GCC both froze, requiring hard resets. I didn't try anything else.

Never asked my Pandora to go faster than the script allows. I wouldn't want her to get all sweaty. Currently 600MHz at opp 3. I've never really had the need to go quicker.

Of course, this whole thread could just be a ruse to get us all to blow up our Pandoras thus having to join the back of the queue for a new one. :p

Tip for those not allergic to the command line: there are two magic kernel /proc file thingies that control the CPU settings.

Code:
more /proc/pandora/cpu*

and hit the space bar

You can change the values using these files too if you want to get down and dirty.

e.g.

Code:
sudo echo 800 > /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max

Back