Using hotfix4, how high can you clock?

Hotfix4 has an option to overclock to the max TI specs, how high can you go?

• 800mhz

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • 850mhz

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 900mhz

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 950mhz

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 1Ghz

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • 1.05Ghz

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • 1.1Ghz+

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Mild overclocks will not harm the chips. Even heavy overclocks won't, the chip itself limits what voltage you can pump in, and I really don't think TI will put a deadly voltage on the "semi-official" list. High clocks very rarely kill chips, it's almost always the voltage or high temperatures that do. The Cortex A8 does not give off a lot of heat and stays cool when overclocked without an issue.

When overclocking, usually the system will crash LONG before you get close to harming the chip.

I marked my vote as 1GHZ, although my system crashed shortly after I ran an application that pegged the hardware. Reboot, lower the max clock speed to 990MHZ and it seems to run fine that way - tested with Mupen, Mednafen VB, and Midori on Youtube. I was sort of surprised that 360p videos on Youtube were still considerably choppy, even at 990MHZ.

I dropped my max opp level back down to 3 and my max MHZ level down to 850, which has proven over months to be a good, stable speed.

I wonder if the battery time is affected by the higher MHz or only by opp.

Does someone knows ?

Depends on whether the higher clock is actually being used. An idle Pandora at 125Mhz uses about the same power as an idle Pandora at 900Mhz. Clocked to 450Mhz using 100% CPU uses about the same power as being clocked to 900Mhz but only using 50% CPU. Etc... Not quite that linear, but a good approximation. At the same OPP level, of course; increase the OPP and it will use noticeably more power even at the same clock speeds.

i rarely find the need to go above opp3 (especially since the later hotfixs) so i leave it at that when i do increase the clock speed obove 600 the battery remaining bar will reduce the remaining battery by an hour minimum even when idle?

This is just what the screen shows though i have never actually timed it to see if it is accurate or not

Last edited by a moderator:
::::::::::::::
/proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max
/proc/pandora/cpu_opp_max

According to System Info, my RAM speed is 200 MHz and the battery current is -171mA when idle.

Back