Upgrade to IPB4

Just to bring a little positive attitude to this thread: I think this is mostly a good upgrade, albeit with some aspects that need fixing. There's some teething pains but they'll pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
There really is a huge ammount of wasted space on this new layout.

I'm zoomed out by four notches on whatever scale Qupzilla uses, with manually fixed (very small)  fonts, and its still pretty bad.

On my pandora, its awful. Web developers would do well to remember that not all small displays are portrait.

Apart from that, it mostly works, and most changes seem to be an improvement.

Regarding the scrolling problem, here is an archived page from before the update:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150905204104/http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18226-more-pandoras-soon-at-the-shop/

and here's the same page today:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18226-more-pandoras-soon-at-the-shop//URL]

Doing a direct comparison for me is a little tricky as I have sigs switched off when I look at the live page, but looking at e.g. FelixNemis's post (who doesn't currently use a signature) if I put that at the top of my unminimised window, I can only see one line of GlyphReader's post below (and half of the following line) in the new view, while the archived view gives me both lines.

Here, have some screengrabs (see attached).  They both look like they've got a lot more white space than is strictly necessary to me to be honest, but I don't buy that the new boards need more scrolling.  The text area is slightly narrrower, so long posts with few line breaks will need more scrolling, but most posts are shorter than the metadata box to the left, so are the minimum line height in practice, which now appears to be shorter than it was.

To be honest, I reckon the only person who could have a genuine complaint about the layout is ED, since he uses a non-square avatar.  It used to be shown in its native aspect, while it's now forced to be square, so slightly stretched.

ipb3.jpg

ipb4.jpg

First of all: Wally, you need to change your Avatar as it now seeable everytime on every thread! :p

Thanks for the comparision, Levi. So I noticed it right: The font is smaller than before and is a bit hard to read. Furthermore the end of a post (and the beginning of the signatur) is hard to see.

Thanks for the comparision, Levi. So I noticed it right: The font is smaller than before and is a bit hard to read. Furthermore the end of a post (and the beginning of the signatur) is hard to see.

According to firefox's inspector both fonts appear to be 14pt (although I'm not very experienced in driving the inspector, so I may be wrong).  I can't comment on the signature separator though, as I don't have sigs switched on.

Why is the space between the lines so huge? I'm scrolling myself to death here although it's really not much text.

Why is the space between the lines so huge? I'm scrolling myself to death here although it's really not much text.
Because it wastes one line on bordering the thread and the posts in it individually, and then another one on wrapping the actual posts inside that, which is done in one way for the start of a post, and then in another for the end.

So three lines for every change of post, instead of 1px.

Then if you have a signature, there are two lines wasted for that.

theproblem.png

This is a problem too, but I was just refering to:

Text *enter*

Text *enter*

Text

There's no simple line change anymore, it is creating the next paragraph automatically, which I usually do by pressing "enter" two times.

More screen-estate goes to waste by stating the rules everywhere. Then you have this line which really doesnt do anything

"Terms of Service (Forum, Wiki, Repo) Things that are not allowed here: No multiple accounts for one user... "

Unless you actually write out your lines, the wrapping means one line goes to waste for every new sentence.                                                                   Also it brings the last word to a new line for no reason if you add lots of whitespace like i just did.      (only happens in the editor, not in the actual post)

I dragged this thread over to my other screen. I got the first 3 posts of this thread in on a 1920x monitor stacked vertically...

If you fit-to-width, and want to have vertical tabs, wasting horizontal space the same way becomes the issue too.

I get 1 post in on my 1920x1200 monitor, and 2 posts on my 2,048 by 1,536 third display.

Don't even dare turning on the 1920x1080 projector to see how bad it gets there.

This is a problem too, but I was just refering to:

Text *enter*

Text *enter*

Text

There's no simple line change anymore, it is creating the next paragraph automatically, which I usually do by pressing "enter" two times.

Shift+Enter. If it's desirable like this is another thing though.

The old version not only showed how old the latest news was but also the title so I knew if it was anything interesting before opening the subforum. This was more time saving.
I liked the preview function where it showed you the first handful of lines from the first unread post and the last post and told you how many new posts there were. You could also mark it as read from there, which saved time for me.

Opera was a very nice browser. But they fucked things up and the last useable version 12 is now old and outdated. Let it die in peace. It is important, that such a board works without Javascript, especially in an open source community with people not trusting code in browsers. But old browsers should not be considered imho.

Aww, I still love my old Opera 12, most websites  work superb, the only one I never got to work at  all for unknown reasons was actualy Instagram  (seriously, what's wrong  with them?!?!) Just because something is old, does not mean you should instantly trash it. Do you trash your grandparents? ;)

I see no reason why every forum works with Opera 12, just not this new one here. Ok it WORKS, the only minor flaw is: I can't post, because there are no buttons for it and the  reply box on the bottom is only the attachment window. I guess this can be fixed without much issues. doen't need to be fancy, just has to work. ^^ "
I gave it a shot earlier.  It sucks that I can't use my favorite browser here.

Quote said:
 Ok it WORKS, the only minor flaw is: I can't post, because there are no buttons for it and the  reply box on the bottom is only the attachment window.
Opera 12 user here, if you can see this, I did in fact post something with this browser. Don't ask how, I don't know.
Working with quotes is awful, though.

I wont ask.  Tell me how you did it.

@ Neelix: Perhaps it's something to do with the mobile version. I have absolutely not a noodle; but hope it gets fixed soon :)

@ Neelix: Perhaps it's something to do with the mobile version. I have absolutely not a noodle; but hope it gets fixed soon :)

Ahh,  You're right,  signatures do still seem to be missing in the mobile version.  (I'm not sure that's a bad thing but there should at least be an option for it)  I'll add it to the issues forum.

-Neelix

I optimized the desktop theme a bit, to make it less spacey again.

Let me know if that broke something :)

If you have any more suggestions, let me know.
But I think things have already improved here :D

BTW: You can now also resize the editor and also directly link to posts again (the ID with link is back) :)

Ah, no, that video embedding was an extension on the old version, I need to add a new plugin here as well :)

Back