UK - what magazines should we advertise in

Re: sending a unit to Retrogamer

Reviewing new equipment isn't something they normally do - their focus is on extinct hard/software. To get them to feature a Pandora as anything more than a minor news item, they'd need a pretty good excuse.

Maybe if one was sent along with, for example, PC originals of many of the games for which engines (Doom, Duke Nukem etc) exist on the Pandora to run the datafiles from the discs, they'd have a nice clean legal angle to approach it, rather than the tricky issue of emulation (which would naturally get a mention anyway).

I haven't actually got mine yet, but from what I've heard I'd say the software is still a ways off from being completely noob friendly. Don't want to get a whole bunch of negative press/returns because people who don't know how to use a Pandora figured it would be as easy as a DS or iOS.
This is the reason why I didn't include Linux Format in my list.

Most people who read Linux User are used to messing with files and tweaking and a lot of people who read Retogamer are used to the same when messing about with emulators etc. People who get brought in by these magazines will generally be usefull and less of a hassle to the community.

If you want just sales then I'd go with Linux Format and magazines like T3. I'd also agree with Extreme sports/fishing magazines like what people have been suggesting. Anything that includes a lot of travelling or time spent sitting around doing nothing could boost sales.

Depends on what type of people your looking to bring into the community.

Been reading custom PC magazine, not only is it a great mag (reminds me of early computer magazines in general, very fun) but it seems an ideal place to advertise the Pandora too, it's full of hardware hacking projects, plus they are covering the Pi.

Last edited by a moderator:
How's the leadtime on print in the UK? In the US, it usually takes Two Months™ to show up. Not a joke this time.

My experience in the past has been that is it surprisingly short, when we used to do the GBAX ads, sometimes it was only 8 days.

Been reading custom PC magazine, not only is it a great mag (reminds me of early computer magazines in general, very fun) but it seems an ideal place to advertise the Pandora too, it's full of hardware hacking projects, plus they are covering the Pi.
Sounds interesting. I haven't bothered with that one yet as I thought it was just about upgrading graphic cards, motherboards etc. on full PC towers and selling hardware for Windows computers. Might have to check it out if it covers stuff like the PI too.

Hi Craig, am I right in thinking that the 'we' in the topic question refers to Open Pandora Ltd, and that you're looking to increase UK sales?

If it does then I'd certainly go with the previous suggestions of Retro Gamer.

Before advertising on the Web or in Magazines (to generate UK sales) I'd have a serious think about updating the website for Open Pandora Ltd.

Why not :

1) Register the domain name openpandora.co.uk and host the site there.

2) Have a picture of an actual Pandora on the ordering page

3) Show prices in £ sterling inclusive of VAT

It's to increase all sales, the OP website is about to be relaunched.

Guess that makes choosing magazines a little more difficult, could be that advertising on the web is a better use of the marketing budget.

Is there an equivalent of retro Gamer in the US / Europe?

There is a US version of PC Gamer, it seems likely that the Pandora would appeal more to a PC Gamer than a console user.

It really feels good as a Pandora fanboy that OP are at the point where units are there to be sold. :)

Edit : One of the great untapped markets for the Pandora is Japan IMHO, could be worth exploring that avenue.

Well we don't want to get in to a situation where we can't meet demand, so we're looking at a slower roll out, probably targeting UK/Germany with print ads to see how it goes.

If it goes well a managed expansion will take place.

please, let the community see your advertisment before publishing it. you will get decent feedback.

It is tough to market the pandora.

It is more like marketing lego, or cement and bricks. It all depends on the final user alone. It can do everything, portable and open.

great points are:

-12h battery.

-real keyboard and everything you need included plus precision controls.

-open software.

Those controls don´t necessarily need to be used for games, can be used to control robots/machine manually with a great precision.

So, It can be used with everything there is in this world.

You probably better hit the technical magazines/site.

It is really tough to position it.

Doctors could use it, oil drillers, engenieers, architects, biblioteconomies, whatever, anyone.

My brother is a genetic engineer scientist, they do have a set of machines running linux there to calculate/analyse gene results.

Such a tool like the pandora would really cut easy for them :) .

Better start with the linux user base maybe?

The retrogaming part of the pandora can reach some people, but that is an already know field.

That can help sell it more to those people, but you understand they are coming to the machine with ´mario´ on their mind and that is it.

Better target on the more creative open community, specially places programmers of anything lurk about.

Those people have the potential to open new areas for the pandora.

Even tech hobbyist. like remote controlling a heli toy by the pandora? attach a camera and it may be possible to get the heli vision! :)

Soo many alternatives...

edit: I work with movie making, special effects when I can. The use I would have for a pandora on the field in unnamable!

-12h battery.
call it 20h - its more comparable to other devices - alternatively '10 hours intensive use'

--

The Linux user base seems a good place to start, as the current Pandora hasn't quite got the polish needed for the ungeeky

--

Also, what about any audiophile mags - the Pandora has battery life and SQ several chunks better than most smartphones, while Hi-Fi buffs are willing to pay large sums for equipment, and fiddle with their purchases to make them work nicely.

The US does have an equivalent to Retro Gamer: http://www.videogametrader.com/ It's not on the same level as RG, though. The US also has Gamefan http://gamefanmag.com/ which has extremely loyal supporters who have been with the magazine since it's original form in 1992 (It's also desperate for ad revenue, so you could probably get cheap advertising there. I would recommend Make Magazine http://makezine.com/magazine/ , Retro Gamer, Game Informer (6 million subscribers!!!), Edge, GamesTM, Hyper (Australia) and Maximum PC (US).

Also, what about any audiophile mags - the Pandora has battery life and SQ several chunks better than most smartphones, while Hi-Fi buffs are willing to pay large sums for equipment, and fiddle with their purchases to make them work nicely.

This could be nice! Those who call themselves DJs or whatever, human music shufflers, don´t count much, but those that work on composing/making/treating music, or at studio or do live things, will definently see value on what the pandora can do. The game controls can be used to operate a lot of knobs and dials on the go. :)

Heck, I have a caanoo with milkytracker and am already at the skies with it... ;)

A friend posted this on the GLB forums I thought I should share:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NNAyif56T_g?feature=oembed

The Pandora could do the same as the iOS things(I think), and probably a lot better(I believe!).

It won´t sell as much as targeting for gamers but It does show what I meant as ´other uses´.

Maybe trying to get ED on shows of this kind could help?

Enjoy.

Back