UK - what magazines should we advertise in

I'm not in the UK, so it may be different there. But...

Who reads printed magazines anymore? I've seen Linux print magazines in Airport book stores - always thought they were a bit of an Oxymoron item. Print magazines targeting a group of individuals who are severely plugged in and online? Huh?

The online versions of those, Wired, Engadget, ArsTechnica though - that's not a bad idea.

Or you could work through one of the plethora of targeted online banner companies (Google?) to have your banner pop anytime anyone using a Linux computer or a particular demographic or who has ever touched a Linux user/help/download page in the previous year, etc... In theory you should also be able to throttle this option and turn it off/on as soon as the order queue is full/open.

Maybe it's different for the emulation/handheldgaming crowd?

Thats the one I was thinking about :)

Print magazines targeting a group of individuals who are severely plugged in and online? Huh?
Not all of them are. There are a great many new Linux users of a slightly older demographic, who, from my observations, often prefer being able to refer to printed media that contains a lot of information in one volume when learning. The same goes for a number of younger ones, too. That's who some of these magazines are aimed at - for example, Linux Format, which Craig mentioned, does well out of this. That's their thing.

Are new-to-Linux users of a slightly older demographic the target audience?

CU amiga magazine would be the best call! :p

You could also try THE ONE. ;)

A time machine would also come in hands hehe. Sorry for the joke guys, I´m not in the UK, but I haven´t read a real phisic magazine for ages.

Maybe some sites could do more good?

Are new-to-Linux users of a slightly older demographic the target audience?
I would imagine that they are *a* target of the magazine, but not working for them I don't know what their actual targets are. They seem to cover a wide range of subject-matter relating to Linux, so imagine it's meant to be wide-ranging. Also worthy of note is that they've covered the Pandora a few times, already.

I think he meant the target audience for the Pandora.

I haven't actually got mine yet, but from what I've heard I'd say the software is still a ways off from being completely noob friendly. Don't want to get a whole bunch of negative press/returns because people who don't know how to use a Pandora figured it would be as easy as a DS or iOS.

With that in mind, the more specific and targeted the advertising better anyway. It's still a very niche product.

And I can also chime in on the "never reads physical things" wagon.

Im sure you should reconsider adult magazines as well. Jugs / Hustler / etc.. [i'm not kidding..] and some geeks magazines like T3 [give one pandora for review instead of making/buy advert]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well unlike commander beef I'm not jerking anything when I said Anglers Mail and Angling TImes.

These may well seem well out of the publications demographic for a Pandora, or Pr0ndora, or whatever the term is, but think about the largest UK market of idle c***s sat next to lakes for days on end with no power outlet?

Besides their phones, which they need to cover emergencies, or captures, and the abysmal battery life of them (if they use them for gaming), think of the downtime in such a pursuit?

Many of those folk have lost their lives, wives, careers, etc to such a hobby, of very long stints in the wild in pursuit of Angling fame. Which in some cases has actually made them very serious careers and fortunes, from a fish, that the UK doesn't even eat anymore!

Some countries regard as Carp as vermin, that which the monks introduced as a bounty to enjoy with their Buckfast Tonic. Whilst rabid xenophobia has the Europeans blamed for eating anything that swims which the Cormorrants haven't been forced inland to devour already anyway nowadays.

We once ate widely and fished for the table from our own waters. Anglers alone were responsible for the cleaning up of all of the UK waterways, from the pollution of the industrial revolution, prior to Captain Birdseyes pescafealia for dwindling young Codlings, seeing us give a damn about nothing but COD wars and Black OPs.

Have you any idea the bizzare crap that Carp anglers in particular will buy? Match Anglers, who are the UK's only long term Gold Medal winning 'anything's' that can be relied upon, spend fortunes on anything that will give them an edge, or in this instance help them brag about their conquests from the bankside.

That chap that re-invented boxing, bought up the snooker halls before they became popular and brought us the interesting Steve Davis and everyone since, re-made Darts recently into Championship Wrestling and owns a fair few football clubs now, can't think of his name at the moment but you get the point I hope!

As he made an empire from nothing and can now sell nothing to everyone, at a premium, before relaxing back to where he came up with all of his ideas.......that's right.. whilst fishing!!

Who's to bet if he'd had a Pandora and could have penned his ideas, on the spot, in the wilderness, some 50 odd hours down the line, that he wouldn't have made himself richer earlier, or proven himself an Einstein from the riverbank?

Who's to deny a man a fish, or how to fish, or how to do anything you abnormally could, whilst you fish?

For the record, I'm a Predator fan.

Magazines capture, every year, the 'new reader' audience - high-school graduates, students, etc. Also, there is a viable subscription market, some people enjoy getting magazines to read in the mail often, simply for the fact of its arrival by post. This isn't 'old-school', it just is.

I like the recommendation for Retrogamer, I think thats a done deal. Beyond that, what about some of the more geek-oriented fashion/lads-mags, they often have nice review sections.

Also, VICE Magazine. Should be a done deal, to be honest.

Any mag that mentions handhelds for whatever reasons but that has as large a readership as possible. a 200k run mag is always better than a 10k copy one so look for magazines with a huge following that both geeks and gamers might read. As for websites, how about an advert (not article) on slashdot or theregister? Would that be too costly?

Well you get mentions in Linux format so advertising there would be a no brainer, plus of course you'd be preaching to the converted, retrogamer another must, but I only pick it up if there's an interesting article in it.

My suggestion would be something like MarioPandio said, outside of work and playing around with Pc's I'm seriously into mountain biking and I subscribe to "Shred", this may not seem relevent to you but every mountain biker I know subscribes to a magazine, and we all travel to events, and the travelling bit is bloody boring so is camping in a muddy field over a rain soaked weekend, the batteries in phones and psp's only last so long, but the Pandora with it's 10hr battery life would be a blast from the past for most middle aged mtb'ers, plus mtb'ers have high disposable incomes, most of them chuck over three grand at their hobby every eighteen month's or so, a couple of hunderd on a handheld to keep us amused on the road/overnight is sod all, have a look at "crc" http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

it's current landing page has an ad for a tyre that's over thirty quid!,

Another place you could advertise in is "The Caravan And camping Club" magazine, and why not? all caravans and motorhomes have electrical hookups, got to be worth at least one advert a year just before the school hols, stop the kids getting bored, plus daddy can indulge in a bit of retrogaming, he'd be buying it on the pretence that it was for the "kids" anyway, just my tuppence worth.

Some countries regard as Carp as vermin, that which the monks introduced as a bounty to enjoy with their Buckfast Tonic.

Ah, the Benedictine Slaughter Water. As close as I ever come to religeon.

Your idea of advertising in the Angling Times is an excellent one.

A bit off-topic, but...

This was an awesome read~ :)

DSCF5943.jpg

Back