Uk Ds Launch

You know, I am getting to the point that if someone called me a fanboy to my face, I'd drag them out of their house and proceed to burn it down while they watched. I own and play both systems, and I've argued both sides of the DS vs. PSP 'war' so many times and am really sick of being labeled. I'm sorry if I keep seeing people claiming the stupidest things about the PSP many of which are just flat out untrue, just to try to trump up the DS, and feel the need to point out if something their saying is wrong or just play stupid.

Regarding what I said about the DS being marketed to a younger audience, I do admit being partially wrong there... Nintendo has never said they are aiming this thing at kids. I know Sony are kinda making it seem that way (that the DS is intended for kids and the PSP is more for adults). Well also it's that it's always seemed to me that the DS (along with all of Nintendo's systems) was more aimed at kids... it's Nintendo's reputation, and it's usual that a majority of games for any of their systems will be targeted at a younger audience. There's no getting around that. And again given the $100 lower price, it makes sense that many parents looking for a new toy for their kids will lean more heavily towards the DS. That's not to say that the DS is ONLY for kids.. I was out there buying mine on launch day, and I'm nearly 30 years old, and I'm not ashamed to admit it :D :p . On the other hand, the PSP seems squarely aimed at older gamers, and also just at the gadget market in general... Sony hoping to take a swipe at the iPod and such. I know I probably wouldn't buy one for MY kids (if I had kids). Don't think I could stand to see them ruin that beautiful shiny finish....

I agree that people who normally don't play games probably wouldn't get a PSP. What I'm saying is that, people who normally wouldn't have ever bought a handheld system, or that is to say, would never have bought a gameboy (because the less advanced graphics never appealed to them or they thought it was too much a kids kinda toy), but do play console games and own a PS2, GC or Xbox, would probably want to buy a PSP.

And by the way, the reason I would spend 3 hours preparing a 2 hour movie to be watched on my PSP.... DUH... damn that is a stupid ass question... maybe so I could watch it OUTSIDE OF MY HOUSE? I've mentioned before on these boards, the nature of my job is that I have a LOT of free time on my hands, and it's very convenient to stuff movies on my PSP and be able to watch them at work. I'm sure there's many of us here who would have lots of times it'd be convenient for them to watch a movie outside of the house, on their PSP.

And you make it sound like it's just such a great effort and waste of time. It's not like I have to sit there and watch the whole process... I just drag and drop the file into 3gp and walk away, come back a couple hours later and it's done, drag and drop to the memory stick, walk away again and snag the memory stick before leaving for work. What is the unnecessary effort here? Or of course I could do the whole thing while I'm surfing the internet or whatever.

YOU can try to downplay the fact that the PSP plays movies and music all you want, but I happen to use and enjoy these features quite a bit, and I doubt I'm the only one.

and before anyone else says something stupid about me being a fanboy, please note I have NOT said one negative thing about the DS here, or saying anything about the PSP being better.

The one thing you can be assured of when fanboy is mentioned is another Bast essay. :D :lol:

For this one I give him an A+

Not wanting to start an arguement but how is psp easier to create games for? ok yeah developers have to implement some kind of touch function in the ds games but if u look at mario 64 ds that is basically the same game it was years ago but with touch movement. not a hard task for nintendo. But i agree with wat u said after that finty. All u have to do is look at some of the gba games, they're being made so that the platform fits the game (ie LoZ: ALTTP). Thats where these handhelds should excel. if developers spend time on the games, the can make them so that they use all the functions and capabilities of the machine. One example of this will be GTA PSP. Guess we'll see that at e3. another example for this will be MP:H on DS. That is being made to fit the platform perfectly.

bast525 posted on Mar 13 2005 at 07:40 AM said:
This is on a sorta outdated athlon XP 2000+, 512mb of SINGLE SPEED RAM, 5200RPM harddrive, running windows 98.

That computer is no where near outdated

i have a 450mhz 128mb RAM

AND IM INTO COMPUTERS

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmagoo posted on Mar 13 2005 at 09:14 PM said:
bast525 posted on Mar 13 2005 at 07:40 AM said:
This is on a sorta outdated athlon XP 2000+, 512mb of SINGLE SPEED RAM, 5200RPM harddrive, running windows 98.

That computer is no where near outdated

i have a 450mhz 128mb RAM

AND IM INTO COMPUTERS

You usually find that people that are "into" computers, Use them for what they are ment for. Not going on some endless upgrade spree to keep up with the joneses. If it does what you need, Then thats good enough.

Trooper

loz_the_guru posted on Mar 13 2005 at 10:07 PM said:
Anyone know the limit on memory stick size for PSP?

bast525 says he uses a 1gig memory stick for movies and such. So until someone gets a 2gig stick, There`s no telling.

Trooper

I think PSP is 8gig, but with a firmware update it can be put to any limit.

2gig is the biggest stick ATM though.

One market i think the DS will have an upper hand is the female one. The DS in terms of its games being more easy to pick up and play, cute bright gfx of some and them. The gimicky aspect of using stylus rather than a joypad is may more likey to appeal, as its less like the generic way of playing a console. You've only got to look at the likes of feel the magic, wario touch, yoshi touch and go to see this. Games that will appeal to all purely through there simplicity and fun.

The psp is definitly more male orientated, far more of a cool powerful gadegt with amazing gfx. Far more guy are gadget freaks thats most women. Im not saying all but a lot.

I've noticed this on a large forum i use a lot posts by guys whose girlfriends play there DS's a lot many having no interest in games before. Yet i have yet to see a single post from a psp owner who says his girlfriend uses his. I know if i had a ds and gave it to my sister with some of the aforementioned games i would not get it back. Hell i think even my mum would find some of them fun!

Hence i believe the two can happily coexist. The PSP Coll must have gadegt amonst the guys and the DS will have a broader appeal.

So guys if you wnat to keep your hands on your handheld don't buy a DS get a PSP :p

Errr! My mum has a Dreamcast and she plays soul calibur, House of the dead and rez which all don't seem feminin(sp). My sister doesn't care about my ds or the psp and I've seen a women with a psp before and never one with a ds once. Its all about opinion really. :)

Whatever happened to the US launch? I expected Welfare*Mart to have a shelfload of them, or atleast a tester stand one. But there wasn't jack, and the GBA SP is still $80.

Yeah, none of you are fanboys.

It just happens that every thread about the DS turns out to be a war between the PSP and DS or just plain about the PSP, and each and every time its the same old people involved.

I never said there werent Nintendo fanboys too, but surely you are mature enough to not take the bait considering this is a thread about the UK DS launch, and there are plenty of other threads for you to argue the toss in.

My PC is about 2 or 3 years old... considering the massive upgrades that come seemingly every few months... I consider that to be outdated.

I've heard that there are memory stick pro's out there that are up to 4gb in size, but have only seen pro duo's (the small ones) up to 1gb. I dont know if there is a limit in the PSP's bios on how big of one it can use?

skysnapper - I bought two DS's at launch, one for me and one for my wife. She played the hell out of hers, a lot more than I did, especially the Mario 64 mini games.

Then I got my import PSP, and she has barely even touched the thing and she is in love with it and went and reserved one for the US launch as soon as our local game store was taking reservations. She also works nights and has nothing to do really for a large portion of her workshift, so is also looking forward to the PSP's ability to play music and games. She still likes her DS and we're keeping both of them, looking forward to games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing that we can play together, but she has since stopped playing her DS, finally got bored of the Mario minigames and nothing out since has really appealed to her. She has no brand loyalty though and will play the hell out of whatever system has her favorite games (usually puzzle games). Regardless of what people like DECLARATION say, I am the same way, and as soon as some more great games come for the DS you can bet I'll be leaving the PSP at home and playing the hell out of the DS instead.

declaration - you're an f'ing idiot. You know, I just reread the whole thread, and really fail to see how this thread has at all turned into 'another PSP vs. DS war'... if it's turned into any kind of war, it's a war of people like me against boneheads like you who spout the word fanboy anytime someone says something you don't like or agree with, or just spout retarded bs info in general. A thread is just a conversation, and conversations will go where they will. It just so happens that at this time it's very hard not to think about the PSP or the DS whenever one or the other is mentioned. So big f'ing surprise that ANY thread regarding one or the other will eventually draw some comments about both. Some of you guys think that just because a topic starts a certain way, that there is some rule that says NOTHING can be mentioned not strictly pertaining to that topic. Anyways I have yet to see anyone really say anything bad about the DS in this thread or say anything like the PSP is better or anything like that. Some war....

My game systems... most of them :)

635763_28_full.jpg

Yeah, some f'ing fanboy I must be, huh....

Lets see... You've got:

4 Sony Consoles (PS1,PSX,PS2,PSP)
7 Sega Consoles (Gen/MD, SegaCD/MegaCD,Saturn,Dreamcast, and 3 Nomads)
1 Lynx
1 NGPC
1 GP32
1 XBOX

and...Drumroll please!

12 Nintendo Consoles... :p (2 DS, 2 GBcolors, 2 GBs, GBA, GBASP, NES, SNES, N64, GC)

yeah I was just thinking and realized that as well as I was putting everything back away. :p I'm SUCH a Sony fanboy..... :rolleyes:

Actually I've got 14 nintendo consoles in total, my other GBA (white one) and GBA SP (silver one) have gone missing... the ones that were my wife's... she can't remember where she put the bloody things!

I still need so many before I consider it to be 'complete'... not really going for OLD old rare stuff like Atari's, Coleco's or any of the more computer-like systems like the Atari ST or MSX, but would really like to get a Game Gear, SMS (the second gen ones looked sooo nice), some incarnation of the PC Engine/TG16 (I want a Duo R so bad), and a Neo Geo.

I was thinking of taking a picture of all the games I have too (some 500+ across all the systems pictured) but they are spread all over the house....

Back