Uae4all Amiga Emulator Port To Gp2x

Well SidBoggle, as you've bought Amiga forever, why don't you do a google search for a 512K kick.rom ? This seems to be "almost" legal ;).

As far as I know all the Amigaforever kickstarts are encrypted and so wouldn't work. I expect critical's method would work for anyone who only had a non encrypted 256k kickstart.

Belgarath posted on Mar 19 2006 at 11:20 AM said:
As far as I know all the Amigaforever kickstarts are encrypted and so wouldn't work. I expect critical's method would work for anyone who only had a non encrypted 256k kickstart.

Thanks for all your input guys. have now managed to get an alternate version of the kick.rom and things are now working nicely. Time to have a play :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of a nice Uae4all menu feature, I don't know if anyone had this idea before :
Make the long adf file names scrolls automatically when your on their name fields.

virusx posted on Mar 20 2006 at 03:43 PM said:
I was thinking of a nice Uae4all menu feature, I don't know if anyone had this idea before :
Make the long adf file names scrolls automatically when your on their name fields.
I was wondering about replacing the scrolling message on the main menu with something like a scrolling df0: lemmings1.adf df1: lemmings2.adf message to let you know the current state-of-play with the disk drives (especially as the existing message is a waste of space).

There's plenty of scope for improving how the file menu works, but what it does now is simple and effective at least. Personally, I'd hate scrolling filenames, but would like being able to hit "select" to see the full filename, and maybe even some info from a database (screenshots, etc.). I believe Belgarath (assuming he's the one of GameBase Amiga fame) might be able to lend a hand with the data at least :)

Anyway, I've been away in deepest darkest Wales for a long weekend and the week before was spent worrying about house buying and work project completion, so I've got nothing done on uae4all for a week now :( Hopefully next week will be more productive.

Cyclone must be the next step... please don't lead me into temptation with fun UI work...

Hopefully I will get my gp2x tomorrow, looking forward to giving this emulator a try, The Amiga had some classic games on it, I can see me spending hours trying different games. Nice to see you are activley working on the emulator.

I'll make sure I update the wiki when I do my massive session :)

Hey Critical
This idea might sound silly at first but hear me out.
What would be nice would be the ability to swap the up position on the stick to a button.
Why, Well there are so many excellent platform games on the Amiga that would be given a new lease of life if the Jump was on a button instead of pressing up on the stick, Just think how much more you would enjoy Zool for instance :)
I know because i do it on my PC when i run platformers in UAE :)
I dunno how hard this would be to implement but it would be a serious killer feature.

critical posted on Mar 20 2006 at 10:17 PM said:
Personally, I'd hate scrolling filenames, but would like being able to hit "select" to see the full filename, and maybe even some info from a database (screenshots, etc.). I believe Belgarath (assuming he's the one of GameBase Amiga fame) might be able to lend a hand with the data at least :)

Anyway, I've been away in deepest darkest Wales for a long weekend and the week before was spent worrying about house buying and work project completion, so I've got nothing done on uae4all for a week now :( Hopefully next week will be more productive.

Cyclone must be the next step... please don't lead me into temptation with fun UI work...

We all wait (in line). But I think you're doing enough updates to keep us happy Critical.
For the long filenames, anything that shows the entire adf names will be okay for me.

Critical,

Congratulations on your progress! Running Amiga games on a handheld is fiendishly clever :D

Does the emulator support HD games, particularly WHDLoad versions? Or only ADFs?

Flexinoodle posted on Mar 21 2006 at 10:05 AM said:
Hey Critical
This idea might sound silly at first but hear me out.
What would be nice would be the ability to swap the up position on the stick to a button.
Why, Well there are so many excellent platform games on the Amiga that would be given a new lease of life if the Jump was on a button instead of pressing up on the stick, Just think how much more you would enjoy Zool for instance :)
I know because i do it on my PC when i run platformers in UAE :)
I dunno how hard this would be to implement but it would be a serious killer feature.

I like the sound of that. It would also help on car/motobike racing games where up on the joystick had to be held to accelarate. Having the ability to assign it (and maybe down too) to a button would be useful.

There's plenty of scope for improving how the file menu works, but what it does now is simple and effective at least. Personally, I'd hate scrolling filenames, but would like being able to hit "select" to see the full filename, and maybe even some info from a database (screenshots, etc.). I believe Belgarath (assuming he's the one of GameBase Amiga fame) might be able to lend a hand with the data at least :)

Only just noticed my name (thanks to my minion Iorgy), and yeh I'm the same Belgarath. I'd be only too glad to help in anyway I can.

Belgarath posted on Mar 22 2006 at 05:56 PM said:
There's plenty of scope for improving how the file menu works, but what it does now is simple and effective at least.  Personally, I'd hate scrolling filenames, but would like being able to hit "select" to see the full filename, and maybe even some info from a database (screenshots, etc.).  I believe Belgarath (assuming he's the one of GameBase Amiga fame) might be able to lend a hand with the data at least :)

Only just noticed my name (thanks to my minion Iorgy), and yeh I'm the same Belgarath. I'd be only too glad to help in anyway I can.

So Belg, when can we expect Gambase Amiga 2X??

:p

Iorgy77 posted on Mar 22 2006 at 08:17 PM said:
Belgarath posted on Mar 22 2006 at 05:56 PM said:

So Belg, when can we expect Gambase Amiga 2X??

:p
Hehe. I'll be communicating with Belgarath after I've cleared the decks of cyclone - there's surely a lot of good stuff that can be done.

Cyclone progress report: I'm trying to track down a bug in my integration of the cyclone core at the moment... it's a bit fiddly, but getting there.

Whoah, just tried it out yesterday.
Didn't expect it to work THAT fast already!
Turrican II and Superfrog are nearly playable with sound already!

If you manage to include Cyclone, I'mm gonna love you :)

And yes:
Same goes for me: A second Joystick config, where A = Firebutton, X = Up and B = Firebutton 2 would be cool! (and UP on the stick disabled for this one)

EvilDragon posted on Mar 22 2006 at 11:39 PM said:
Same goes for me: A second Joystick config, where A = Firebutton, X = Up and B = Firebutton 2 would be cool! (and UP on the stick disabled for this one)
I hear your cries. It's not a big deal to add it, but I want to focus on the cyclone integration for now - except for the weird sbagen port I've done that only consumes tiny pockets of my idle time, before anyone chastises me for it :)

Simply amazing how much devotion and effort goes into this emulator.

critical, were my soundtest mp3's of any use to you? Btw. I noticed the same effect in the recent SquidgeSNES hack by Reesy, stereo has been disabled for better performance but the pitch of the sound playback is actually lower than on a real SNES.

"SunSpire"

Hi critical,

first of all let me congratulate you on your progress on this great piece of software!

When exactly do you plan to release a new version based on the cyclone engine?
I guess this would give up an significant increase in speed, wouldn't it?
If so would an AGA implentation be an option?

PS: please excuse my bad grammar. The last time i saw my english teacher (preacher) :D is dated back several years...

SunSpire posted on Mar 24 2006 at 05:34 AM said:
Simply amazing how much devotion and effort goes into this emulator.

critical, were my soundtest mp3's of any use to you? Btw. I noticed the same effect in the recent SquidgeSNES hack by Reesy, stereo has been disabled for better performance but the pitch of the sound playback is actually lower than on a real SNES.

"SunSpire"
SunSpire: Hi. I apologise for not getting back to you sooner. I tried to get the mp3's you made last week, but it timed out downloading. I've got them now... your efforts are appreciated.

eAnic posted on Mar 24 2006 at 10:06 AM said:
When exactly do you plan to release a new version based on the cyclone engine?
I guess this would give up an significant increase in speed, wouldn't it?
If so would an AGA implentation be an option?
eAnic: I don't have a schedule. It's done when it's done. It's not currently working, but I'll work on it today sometime and I might get it to work. That's the size of it. I don't think you'll find anyone who's developing software in their spare time would give you a different answer (my boss finds it hard enough to get such an answer from me at work) :)

Cyclone will indeed provide a significant speed increase, if I can get it working, which is by no means certain. If I can't sort it out soon, I'll get help from others.

An AGA implementation will not happen any time soon. It would be slower (more bitplanes, etc), and also use a lot more RAM. One step at a time, eh? :)

Your English is great, by the way.

SunSpire posted on Mar 24 2006 at 05:34 AM said:
I just listened to the mp3's you produced. A perfect illustration of the problem, thanks.

Critical, just wanted to say thanks for a great emulator, and thanks for your continued efforts on this project.

I got my GP2X a few weeks back, and I've been really happy with the device, and all the software and community support. Of all the machines I'd like to see emulated perfectly, the Amiga is the one I want the most.

Good luck in getting Cyclone implemented - I'm sure there are lots of people like myself that are keeping their fingers crossed you'll get it done! :)

Cheers!

Back