Uae4all Amiga Emulator Port To Gp2x

pomata posted on Apr 29 2006 at 03:26 PM said:
Sigh... :unsure: ... Amiga emulator goodbye ... :eek:

Now I'm beginning to lose your temper. Why is it that no-one seems to be able to listen to a thing anyone is saying (aside from DaveC, you git)? Found this in the 'Other Consoles' thread, in reply to another DaveC freakout (something about "Does this mean you're stopping amiga development?"):

An even longer delay, do you mean? smile.gif No, I'm not going to jump ship... I've got more than enough that I want to do on the GP2X still. I'm not planning on developing for the Gizmondo in the near future - my purchases were purely because it was a good time to buy. 50 UKP for a brand new handheld console is not to be sniffed at. The console's a nice shape, has good hardware, and I have to admire the ambition of it all. Richard Burns Rally is a great tech demo, but not as playable as it should be for a handheld game. I don't know about any of the other stuff that got released for it yet.

The built-in OS user interface looks slick, but has some awful usability issues, BTW.

Just for kicks, I ran up Pocket UAE, but didn't get beyond it hanging loading Turrican. From the docs, it looks like it has some nice features, and some drawbacks. Maybe someone will hack at it to make it work on the Giz properly, but that won't be me.

I have quite a few ideas for mobile Windows development, but they tend to be more applications than games/emus. More business than pleasure, and definitely not for the Gizmondo.

So kids, no more freaking out or I'll have to get out the lash. And mods, can you just delete any unfounded DaveC panic messages before anyone sees them?

Allan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked this thread - I was waiting for feedback about potential control changes and got a wave of worry instead :)

Even if I did pack in working on uae4all, there are others who would take it on. If I don't get the cyclone core working soon, I'll hand it over to someone more capable anyway.

Muncher666 posted on Apr 29 2006 at 09:38 AM said:
Now I'm beginning to lose your temper. Why is it that no-one seems to be able to listen to a thing anyone is saying (aside from DaveC, you git)? Found this in the 'Other Consoles' thread, in reply to another DaveC freakout (something about "Does this mean you're stopping amiga development?"):

An even longer delay, do you mean? smile.gif No, I'm not going to jump ship... I've got more than enough that I want to do on the GP2X still. I'm not planning on developing for the Gizmondo in the near future - my purchases were purely because it was a good time to buy. 50 UKP for a brand new handheld console is not to be sniffed at. The console's a nice shape, has good hardware, and I have to admire the ambition of it all. Richard Burns Rally is a great tech demo, but not as playable as it should be for a handheld game. I don't know about any of the other stuff that got released for it yet.

The built-in OS user interface looks slick, but has some awful usability issues, BTW.

Just for kicks, I ran up Pocket UAE, but didn't get beyond it hanging loading Turrican. From the docs, it looks like it has some nice features, and some drawbacks. Maybe someone will hack at it to make it work on the Giz properly, but that won't be me.

I have quite a few ideas for mobile Windows development, but they tend to be more applications than games/emus. More business than pleasure, and definitely not for the Gizmondo.

So kids, no more freaking out or I'll have to get out the lash. And mods, can you just delete any unfounded DaveC panic messages before anyone sees them?

Allan.

To be fair to DaveC, he is aware that I wrote the above text, then promptly released three or four emulator ports for the Gizmondo, which was a bit of a volte-face, by anyone's standards ;)

I hadn't really intended to, but it was easy and fun, so I did. The interesting (to me) thing about porting stuff to the Gizmondo vs. the GP2X is that most of the difficult stuff is already done. A lot of the GP2X ports are of desktop linux games/emus. Obviously, there's a lot more horsepower to play with on most desktops than there is on the GP2X. The Gizmondo ports I've done have been from PocketPC emulators, which by necessity are already designed for small screens and less beefy processors. So less of a challenge, and more of a handle-turning exercise after a while. But still fun to mess around with, and much easier to fit into the lunch hour.

White Demon posted on Apr 30 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
Will save states ever be included in this emulator?

Playing some Cannon Fodder recently, but - oh dear, can't save my progress.

Just wondering.
I can do saving to disk, rather than save states, quite quickly. That would sort out your Cannon Fodder woes. I'll put it on my TODO list for when I get a moment. I'm on a training course for most of next week (on ASP.NET - barf), so no lunchtime hacking, I'm afraid!

I know I was getting antsy, Critical - but DaveC overreacts frequently - and I'm beginning to get a little sick of it since the moment someone posts something like that everyone else who can't be bothered doing any research (yes, that's what I'm going to call it :) ) takes the comment on it's word and so on - it's like an avalanche, or tabloid journalism. :)

Thanks for the update, Critical.

Allan.

Muncher666 posted on Apr 30 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
I know I was getting antsy, Critical - but DaveC overreacts frequently - and I'm beginning to get a little sick of it since the moment someone posts something like that everyone else who can't be bothered doing any research (yes, that's what I'm going to call it :) ) takes the comment on it's word and so on - it's like an avalanche, or tabloid journalism. :)

Allan.

I suggest that you go back and read my post. There is no "freakout" it simply states that it appears that he has left for the giz, which it does. That is about it.

If there is anyone "overreacting" here it is you with your flaming and expletives. Chill out, it is not a big deal..

DaveC posted on Apr 30 2006 at 09:50 PM said:
Muncher666 posted on Apr 30 2006 at 02:48 PM said:

Allan.

I suggest that you go back and read my post. There is no "freakout" it simply states that it appears that he has left for the giz, which it does. That is about it.

If there is anyone "overreacting" here it is you with your flaming and expletives. Chill out, it is not a big deal..

I think the bit he's referring to is specifically the point where you infer from the fact that he now has a giz and has released stuff for it, that he is leaving the GP2x for it. Personally I reserve judgment over whether that is/was justified or not, but that's the bit to be careful of.

So, does anyone have any problems with the current control system (diagonals, Rick Dangerous popping up unexpectedly from crouching whilst moving left/right, etc.)?

Someone started a thread on the subject a while ago, and I implemented a change to the control system so that it behaved as DaveC's case 2, but couldn't notice any difference myself. I'm not keen to put the change in unless it has some value.

I'm trying to put together a release for the weekend (without cyclone) that addresses sound issues, writing to disk, and a few other things (a bit of a speed increase).

I didn't noticed any change for the controls. But I recently found my joystick cap.
So for a month my control was just horrible, but it was not the programs, just the metal stick :lol:
I'm glad to ear that the next update will be about sound.
I just love the sound of the Amiga and it was oftenly messy on many games. Plus speed increase... Joy !
If you had to dev for the Giz in order to fix those on Gp2X, then have 2 Giz Critical B)

virusx posted on May 4 2006 at 11:17 AM said:
I didn't noticed any change for the controls. But I recently found my joystick cap.
So for a month my control was just horrible, but it was not the programs, just the metal stick :lol:
I'm glad to ear that the next update will be about sound.
I just love the sound of the Amiga and it was oftenly messy on many games. Plus speed increase... Joy !
Don't get your hopes up too much... this will only be a minor release.

If you had to dev for the Giz in order to fix those on Gp2X, then have 2 Giz Critical B)
I already have a couple ;) The GP2X emulators are all so polished and great that it wasn't worth attempting to do anything else for it - bases are already covered. I hit a bit of demotivation trying to integrate cyclone, so like a magpie went for the next shiny thing that came along :) I'm afraid I'm fairly random.

i had no issues with the uae4all-controls in the games i played yet (quite a few). i´m looking forward to the next release, critical...perhaps with an fps-counter ;)

B4N5H33

critical posted on May 4 2006 at 12:24 PM said:
The GP2X emulators are all so polished and great that it wasn't worth attempting to do anything else for it - bases are already covered. I hit a bit of demotivation trying to integrate cyclone, so like a magpie went for the next shiny thing that came along :) I'm afraid I'm fairly random.

They are?

I beg to differ.

PC-Engine, SMS, SNES, ColecoVision, all could use alot more work especially PC-Engine and SNES. Look at your giz SNES it runs circles around the GP2X one. Overclocking to 266 for a PC-Engine emu? Crazy. That could use ALOT of work as that ran better on a 133 MHz GP32.

critical posted on May 4 2006 at 09:15 AM said:
So, does anyone have any problems with the current control system (diagonals, Rick Dangerous popping up unexpectedly from crouching whilst moving left/right, etc.)?

Someone started a thread on the subject a while ago, and I implemented a change to the control system so that it behaved as DaveC's case 2, but couldn't notice any difference myself. I'm not keen to put the change in unless it has some value.

I'm trying to put together a release for the weekend (without cyclone) that addresses sound issues, writing to disk, and a few other things (a bit of a speed increase).

Cool any update is always welcome ordered my gp2x new verison the other day, glad i waited for an offical fix to the joypad. whats writing to disk bit critical, is it a save state thing or am i gettin wrong end of stick *crosses fingers*

Your emulator first one i`m going to use on my new purchase and check out some of my fav games, then to mame i reckon.

law posted on May 5 2006 at 08:53 AM said:
Cool any update is always welcome ordered my gp2x new verison the other day, glad i waited for an offical fix to the joypad. whats writing to disk bit critical, is it a save state thing or am i gettin wrong end of stick *crosses fingers*
It's not save states. At the moment, any changes that the Amiga would usually write to disk are not persisted on your memory card when running uae4all on the GP2X. I'm going to change that so it will. This is obviously not the same as savestate, so it won't let you cheat in games :)

critical posted on May 5 2006 at 11:48 AM said:
law posted on May 5 2006 at 08:53 AM said:
It's not save states. At the moment, any changes that the Amiga would usually write to disk are not persisted on your memory card when running uae4all on the GP2X. I'm going to change that so it will. This is obviously not the same as savestate, so it won't let you cheat in games :)

didn`t think it would be, worth an ask thou. I wasn`t actually thinking of cheating, i was thinking along the lines of games that have a save option cannon fodder, sensible soccer, player manager, captive, dungeon master etc... i presume this wouldn`t work so a save state option would be ace. I know what your saying thou but i`m with someone else who said on forum and i`m all old school about save states, if the game didn`t use em then its just cheatin. Cause yets face it its hardly worth playing the RPG's or other games mentioned without such an option

anyways cheers for the quick reply,

law posted on May 5 2006 at 01:07 PM said:
I wasn`t actually thinking of cheating, i was thinking along the lines of games that have a save option cannon fodder, sensible soccer, player manager, captive, dungeon master etc... i presume this wouldn`t work so a save state option would be ace. I know what your saying thou but i`m with someone else who said on forum and i`m all old school about save states, if the game didn`t use em then its just cheatin. Cause yets face it its hardly worth playing the RPG's or other games mentioned without such an option
Well, I'm going to be implementing saves to disk so that the save option in Cannon Fodder *will* work, so you should be happy with that, then :)

Back