Beta Uae4All Additions

smoku said:
silver said:
Your performance queries do sound odd - are you confident about which core is being used?

I was pretty sure I was using UAE core, until john4p invalidated that statement.
No. I was stating Project-X doesn't work with FAME/C and Cyclone.

Then you said:

smoku said:
2. UAE4ALL ME (for N900) - the same exact code, but with FAME core (the only change) - Project X works fine.
So you assumed you had used FAME. Why should I assume otherwise if you said so yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the first sentence as: "the reason your "UAE [...]", and you will know why I was confused.

john4p said:
On another note: the reason our "UAE core"-version is almost as fast as our Cyclone-version is because the "UAE core"-version actually isn't a UAE core version at all. It just uses FAME/C for the whole M68K-emulation.

FAME/C is a fast M68K-core like Cyclone - only written in C instead of Assembler and thus not quite as fast - but still much faster than the real UAE core.

Just built a real UAE core-version now and tested some games. Lionheart has even more garbled gfx in-game, Superstar Ice Hockey still freezes after 1 game and Pinball Fantasies couldn't even load the Party Land-table.
The speed was notably slower than with FAME/C.
So I won't release the UAE core-version.

I'll rename all the "UAE core"-texts in compatibility list and our runme-script in "FAME/C" - because that's what it is.

For testing purposes I'll still upload a real UAE core-executable here, too, so one could try if there is a game that doesn't work with Cyclone and FAME/C but does with UAE core.
Should there be games that need the UAE core version, too, then I'd later release a pack with all 3 cores (Cyclone, FAME/C and UAE core). Btw., savestates also work with the real UAE core.

I guess I should take a break and rest a bit...

Yes, that was because I've misread our own Makefile in the past (assuming we used UAE core with some FAME-hacks while in fact we solely used FAME/C as 68000-core).

Me misreading my own Makefile shouldn't have let you get confused about which core you were using in your version (where FAME/C is commented out so UAE core gets utilized).

edit: Ah, you mean you read "your" instead of "our". Okay... ;)

Found some small bugs:

* Lemmings 2 garbles the graphics (was working a few releases before, probably broken with HAM mode addition?). Tried on Cyclone version (even after a reset the graphics are garbled for other games :))
* Mousemode: When you click on a spot, there will first be a mouse click on the old spot and then another one on the new spot. The first click should not happen - it makes a lot of things unplayable. Mouse click should only happen AFTER the mouse movement.

Regarding the "don't click outside"-thing with the touchscreen:
Talked with DJWillis, he fixed that problem with ScummVM.
Basically, you should simply ignore any touchscreen clicks outside of your screen area and then everything should work fine.

Now now children, stop bickering and get back to work. This is a voluntary sweat shop we're running here, not a partyline for the socially maladjusted.

Joking aside, I'm still stunned by the rate of progress on this emulator. I hope you all reap what you sow, in which case many wonderful things should start happening to you guys soon.

EvilDragon said:
* Lemmings 2 garbles the graphics (was working a few releases before, probably broken with HAM mode addition?). Tried on Cyclone version (even after a reset the graphics are garbled for other games :) )
Works perfect (and fullspeed) with FAME/C - garbled gfx (and invisible mouse pointer) only with Cyclone.
Updated compatibility list.

EvilDragon said:
Regarding the "don't click outside"-thing with the touchscreen:
Talked with DJWillis, he fixed that problem with ScummVM.
Basically, you should simply ignore any touchscreen clicks outside of your screen area and then everything should work fine.
Already tried that a couple of days ago.
When you tap with the stylus left of the displayed area the x-value of the mouse-input is always 0. When you tap right of the displayed area it's always 639 (in 640x480 doubled pixels mode).
So I only moved the pointer when x > 0 && x < 639.
Didn't help - for some unknown reason the touchscreen-input will still be off after tapping in the black space left or right.

Does ScummVM also use SDL?

I just wanted to drop in and give a big huge thankyou - Sleepwalker (I own the three-disk OCS version, so that's what I'm using :p), which doesn't work with the Cyclone core, works perfectly with the FAME/C one. :D

Fingers crossed that my Pandora will finally arrive tomorrow (can't quite fathom UPS and their delivery system sometimes), gotta ask my noob question though about uae4all... can you use an external mouse with it, or are the mouse controls strictly mapped to the nubs only? (I've a hankering to play Shufflepuck Cafe again the way nature intended!!)

Stouffa said:
Fingers crossed that my Pandora will finally arrive tomorrow (can't quite fathom UPS and their delivery system sometimes), gotta ask my noob question though about uae4all... can you use an external mouse with it, or are the mouse controls strictly mapped to the nubs only? (I've a hankering to play Shufflepuck Cafe again the way nature intended!!)

Haven't tried, but originally, UAE4ALL used a standard mouse as input device, so it should work.
Might've been affected by the patches john4p did, but my guess it should still work.

Last edited:
In the first 2 control modes ("joystick" and "mouse-emulation/pinball") the standard mouse-input from linux is recognized (nothing is mapped to the nubs in UAE4All). Should work with a USB mouse, too (please let us know if it does).

@ED: Haven't got the time to look into the "mouseclick before moving"-problem in stylus-mode yet. Tried some things a couple of days ago - but they only made touchscreen handling worse.

@Prometheus: Recently played Sleepwalker for the first time. It's a great concept and good fun.

New release:

• Stylus-mode: mousepointer now moves first, then clicks
  • added "Stylus Offset"-configuration to menu (offsets 0, 1, 3, 5 and 8 pixels)
  • added "Tap Delay"-configuration to menu (normal, short and very short delay for touchscreen click)
  • Stylus-mode: hold L- or R-Trigger, then a tap with the stylus performs a Rightclick (instead of Leftclick)
  • Stylus-mode: dpad left = left mousebutton, dpad right = right mousebutton
  • Stylus-mode: hold dpad down, then no clicks will be performed with the stylus (only mousepointer-movement)
  • Mouse emulation-mode: (X) is now also left mousebutton (for mouse-based shooters/racers)

For Lemmings set "Stylus Offset" to 8 pixels and "Tap Delay" to "short" or "no".
For Workbench usage leave "Stylus Offset" at 0 pixels and "Tap Delay" at "normal".

I made L-Trigger the Rightclick-"switch" so righthanded people can hold the Pandora in their left hand, hold L-Trigger and perform a Rightclick with the stylus that way (e.g. to attack in Eye of the Beholder).

Note that Stylus tap now always does a short click.

If you want to hold mouse-buttons (in order to move objects) just hold dpad left/right and then use the stylus.

You can also move the mousepointer without performing any click by holding dpad down and then tapping with the stylus.

There's also now a new runme.sh-script which reduces the number of dialogs at the start from 4 to 2.
However, on the first dialog you can't just push Return to proceed. You have to either tap at "OK", or use <Tab> or push Start+O (=Alt+O).

Grab the new version here: http://www.filefront.com/17192399/uae4all.zip

Source: http://www.filefront.com/17192401/uae4all_pandora_src.zip

Sounds like a good update, it occurred to me while reading it that if you do a quick screen tap it could be registered immediately as a left click, and if you remained in contact with the screen longer, for say 0.2 seconds it could register as a right click. This may be useful, or not. Just thought I'd add another idea in case you fancy trying it.

EDIT: I suppose if you did use remaining in contact with the screen as a right click, could it be set as remaining in contact but dragging the stylus be counted as moving the mouse with right click pressed down?

Thanks. But to get Dungeon Master working I had to make another update:

• Stylus-mode: use R-Trigger + dpad to manually adjust Touchscreen-input (needed for Dungeon Master; also use to recalibrate)
Found that in Dungeon Master the pointer always is way off.
Now just hold R-Trigger and use the dpad up/down/left/right to adjust the position where it will be clicked when you tap the screen.
Tap to see if the tip of the stylus is at the tip of the pointer. Use R+dpad until that's accomplished.

This is also a simple fix to the decalibration problem. If the mouse pointer is off due to clicking or touching the outer regions you can now manually readjust the touchscreen-input.

Download: http://www.filefront.com/17194229/uae4all.zip

Source: http://www.filefront.com/17194231/uae4all_pandora_src.zip

@TitanUranus: Thanks for the input - but it's not easy to implement.
You can do all that already now with additional button presses (L-Trigger+Stylus-tap for fast Rightclick, dpad left/right for constant pressing of left/right mousebuttons).

EvilDragon said:
Stouffa said:

Haven't tried, but originally, UAE4ALL used a standard mouse as input device, so it should work.
Might've been affected by the patches john4p did, but my guess it should still work.

Got my Pandora (yay!), but of course the mouse I had gotten for it (a wireless one), doesn't seem to be recognised by the system, so I'll have to wait until I can dig outa wired one to check things out. Very impressive emulator so far though....

Stouffa, if the wireless mouse happens to be one with a USB 1.1 receiver, it won't be recognised - you'll need to connect it through a proper USB 2.0 hub, then it will work. (Just making a note of it just in case you don't already know this.)

Prometheus said:
Stouffa, if the wireless mouse happens to be one with a USB 1.1 receiver, it won't be recognised - you'll need to connect it through a proper USB 2.0 hub, then it will work. (Just making a note of it just in case you don't already know this.)

Well, according to the specs on the box (and online), it's "supposed" to be a 2.0 device, just doing some net trawling to see if it works in Linux at all!. I've a small usb hub, but I don't know how good it is, or do I meed a powered one?

Back