Beta Uae4All Additions

You don't need a powered hub, it just needs to be USB 2.0 (personally I use a Griffin SmartShare USB). As far as the mouse goes, it's a USB Human Interface Device, so it should just work with any OS. If it's certified USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, it should work fine without a hub with the Pandora - otherwise, it's just a USB 1.1 device being masqueraded as USB 2.0. :p

Prometheus said:
You don't need a powered hub, it just needs to be USB 2.0 (personally I use a Griffin SmartShare USB). As far as the mouse goes, it's a USB Human Interface Device, so it should just work with any OS. If it's certified USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, it should work fine without a hub with the Pandora - otherwise, it's just a USB 1.1 device being masqueraded as USB 2.0. :p

this is where I show my true Windows background, when I plug the mouse in, should it simply work straight away, or does it need to install filexs automatically first?

Last edited by a moderator:
It should simply work. That's the way most things are under Linux - it's very rare in my experience to have to install anything at all to make something work (is that still the way things are done with Windows? I guess I'm showing my unfamiliarity, too. :lol: ).

I'm going to bet that this is just a matter of a USB 1.1 device being marketed as 2.0, though.

(My apologies for the off-topicness, by the way. :))

Hello All-

Finally getting the hang of my new pandora. i've jumped head first into this great version of UAE4ALL. My favorite amiga game is Amberstar and on previosu version of uae4all, it has required kick31. for whatever reason, uae4pandora easily recognizes kick1.3, not kick3.1 (both renamed kick.rom). anyone else experienced this problem or have a solutions?

thanks all!

Bodhee

To my knowledge, the only Kickstart file that will work with any version of UAE4all is the 512KB overdumped Kickstart 1.3 - no other version works (owning Amiga Forever 2008 and having more of those things than I know what to do with, I've tried it out of curiousity).

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any solution to that, although if your Pandora is a good overclocker, you may want to check out P-UAE. I'm having trouble finding a relevant link aside from this one, though.

Prometheus said:
To my knowledge, the only Kickstart file that will work with any version of UAE4all is the 512KB overdumped Kickstart 1.3 - no other version works (owning Amiga Forever 2008 and having more of those things than I know what to do with, I've tried it out of curiousity).

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any solution to that, although if your Pandora is a good overclocker, you may want to check out P-UAE. I'm having trouble finding a relevant link aside from this one, though.

Guess I'll give puae a shot.. Odd as I played the game on wiz with uae4all with the 512k kick31 and it worked fine. Def won't work on pandora version though. Tried everything.

Any ideas would love to hear the thanks

Really struggling getting this to work, have copied over latest pnd from EDs post and the 512kb version of the kickstart rom. But, whenever i start a game i just get the amiga symbol with the hand. Tried some games which ED said worked perfectly (datastorm and blood money) but no joy.

Any ideas?? could the kick.rom be wrong.

If memory serves, if the kick.rom was wrong, you wouldn't see the Amiga disk thing. ;)

Just to check, are you putting the disks in the correct virtual drive? If so, have you tried using the "Restart" option after inserting the disks (I think it's mapped to the right shoulder button when you're in the menu), rather than the "Start" one?

Prometheus said:
If memory serves, if the kick.rom was wrong, you wouldn't see the Amiga disk thing. ;)

Just to check, are you putting the disks in the correct virtual drive? If so, have you tried using the "Restart" option after inserting the disks (I think it's mapped to the right shoulder button when you're in the menu), rather than the "Start" one?

Doh !!! was loading the image into the wrong drive, was pressing the X button which is mapped to DF3 .

Thanks for the help, i'll try reading the screen next time :)

Heheh, no problem. Have fun. :D

It's much better having that stuff noted on-screen, I think.

bodhee said:
Odd as I played the game on wiz with uae4all with the 512k kick31 and it worked fine. Def won't work on pandora version though. Tried everything.

For some unknown reason Kickstart 3.0/3.1 just doesn't work on this UAE4All-version. But there is no Amiga 500-game that needs it.

There are very, very few titles which require Kickstart 2.0 to run though - but that does work fine (with the FAME/C and UAE core versions).

Almost every Amiga 500-title works with Kickstart 1.3 - including the German version of Amberstar.

For another unknown reason the English version of Amberstar - while working on real Amigas with Kickstart 1.3 - gets a black screen on emulators (incl. WinUAE) with Kick 1.3.
But with Kickstart 2.0 it works fine in emulators. See this discussion at EAB:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20637

So in order to play the English version of Amberstar in our UAE4All do this:

• obtain a 512K Kickstart 2.0 rom
  • rename it "kick20.rom"
  • place it into the uae4all/kickstarts/ - subdir
  • select Kick 2.0 in UAE4All "more options"
  • Reset the emulator (R-trigger) with your Amberstar-installed-to-FD-ADFs inserted

@all: Almost every Amiga 500-game works with Kickstart 1.3. Very few titles really require Kickstart 2.0. Many games don't work with Kickstart 2.0 (but work fine with 1.3).
There is no Amiga 500-game that really requires 3.1.
There might be some very old titles that only work with Kickstart 1.2 though.

OK, managed to get this working thanks to Prometheus for the help, but having some sound issues. When playing Datastorm (this is the only game i've played atm) there is a slight delay before any sound effect kicks in. Is this to be expected or is there some tweaking to be done?

Keep up the good work john4p :)

Prometheus said:
It should simply work. That's the way most things are under Linux - it's very rare in my experience to have to install anything at all to make something work (is that still the way things are done with Windows? I guess I'm showing my unfamiliarity, too. :lol: ).

I'm going to bet that this is just a matter of a USB 1.1 device being marketed as 2.0, though.

(My apologies for the off-topicness, by the way. :) )

I'll drag it back on topic then (kinda). Turned out even my hub was a crap one, when I plugged in another one, everything worked like a charm. Tried both a wired and wireless mouse, all seems good. Gotta find me some Cannon Fodder now for another test.... :)

Stouffa said:
Tried both a wired and wireless mouse, all seems good.
Great news.

@klamath: Just tried Datastorm and didn't notice a sound delay (used FAME/C core). Try if playing at 600 MHz makes a difference for you.

john4p said:
@klamath: Just tried Datastorm and didn't notice a sound delay (used FAME/C core). Try if playing at 600 MHz makes a difference for you.

Cheers, now working 100% with the FAME/C core, was previously using the UAE core thinking that savestates only worked with that version. Happy bunny now :)

john4p said:
bodhee said:
Odd as I played the game on wiz with uae4all with the 512k kick31 and it worked fine. Def won't work on pandora version though. Tried everything.

For some unknown reason Kickstart 3.0/3.1 just doesn't work on this UAE4All-version. But there is no Amiga 500-game that needs it.

There are very, very few titles which require Kickstart 2.0 to run though - but that does work fine (with the FAME/C and UAE core versions).

Almost every Amiga 500-title works with Kickstart 1.3 - including the German version of Amberstar.

For another unknown reason the English version of Amberstar - while working on real Amigas with Kickstart 1.3 - gets a black screen on emulators (incl. WinUAE) with Kick 1.3.
But with Kickstart 2.0 it works fine in emulators. See this discussion at EAB:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20637

So in order to play the English version of Amberstar in our UAE4All do this:

• obtain a 512K Kickstart 2.0 rom
  • rename it "kick20.rom"
  • place it into the uae4all/kickstarts/ - subdir
  • select Kick 2.0 in UAE4All "more options"
  • Reset the emulator (R-trigger) with your Amberstar-installed-to-FD-ADFs inserted

@all: Almost every Amiga 500-game works with Kickstart 1.3. Very few titles really require Kickstart 2.0. Many games don't work with Kickstart 2.0 (but work fine with 1.3).
There is no Amiga 500-game that really requires 3.1.
There might be some very old titles that only work with Kickstart 1.2 though.

thanks john4p. will give it a whirl! I'm curious what the feasability of developing a front end for uae4all, kind of like amigabase? Has this ever been tried on any other platforms?

bodhee said:
I'm curious what the feasability of developing a front end for uae4all, kind of like amigabase? Has this ever been tried on any other platforms?
No, that has never been done before. Possible of course, but a lot of work (would have to be a complete replacement for the existing gui rather than another frontend to it).

john4p said:
bodhee said:
I'm curious what the feasability of developing a front end for uae4all, kind of like amigabase? Has this ever been tried on any other platforms?
No, that has never been done before. Possible of course, but a lot of work (would have to be a complete replacement for the existing gui rather than another frontend to it).

Would it really have to replace the existing GUI? I thought with the GP2X Wiz version of UAE4All created a few startup gpe's that started the *.adf in the emu using command line options (maybe that was another emulator). As long as you can startup using scripts it whould be easy enough to just make a seperate GUI that starts the file and the emulator with the associated settings without changing UAE4All at all.

Yes, but if you don't replace the existing gui you would still have to use that old gui if you want to swap disks or do other config changes or play another game (without having to quit UAE4All).

So a pure command-line-based frontend like you described could only be used before the start of UAE4All.

john4p said:
Yes, but if you don't replace the existing gui you would still have to use that old gui if you want to swap disks or do other config changes or play another game (without having to quit UAE4All).

So a pure command-line-based frontend like you described could only be used before the start of UAE4All.

I get you. Wasn't my idea, but thanks for the swift reply. Personally I think another GUI is a bit pointless, but I just thought that it might have been feasible without someone like yourself having to do massive rewrites. Especially since there's other more important things that need working on (hard disk support and more amiga memory would make any gamebase type frontend pretty pointless anyway, since all loading could be done with WHDload). I'm still delighted with the amount of progress made on this emulator. One of the reasons I sold my Wiz was the sad lack of updates of this emulator, thanks for givign it so much new life on the pandora.

Back