Beta Uae4All Additions

Loving the fast doubled mode! Nice work john4p!

I seem to be having more luck with things working in this version as opposed to the pnd. Probably something I'm doing, but it's all good stuff.

EvilDragon said:
john4p said:
notaz said:
The tearing is side effect most likely, as it now takes longer to emulate a frame, the screen update happens later and LCD refresh is at more favorable point due to luck. Proper fix would be using doublebuffering instead of relying on things like that.
As long as it works. ;)

Doublebuffering in SDL is used though (sdlgfx.cpp uses SDL_Flip when updating the screen).

I'm not sure SDL supports doublebuffering properly yet.
I don't think it does, many SDL programs have tearing currently.
I recently added code from the wiki to wait for VSYNC before my SDL_Flip and I think it helped... I may just be placebo-ing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'm using the runme which let's me use the menu but when I select and try to run an adf I get kicked out back to the xfce window.

Stocker said:
Loving the fast doubled mode! Nice work john4p!
Thanks - but that video mode is identical to the one in Pickle's first version of this port. ;)

coevin said:
Ok I'm using the runme which let's me use the menu but when I select and try to run an adf I get kicked out back to the xfce window.
Do you have an appropriate "kick.rom" (size has to be 512KByte) placed in the uae4all-folder (having a "kick13.rom" in the uae4all/kickstarts-folder also works)?

Yeah I am using the same as the one I used before they are placed in the right folder as well.

Call ./runme.sh from a terminal. What is then output in the terminal when UAE4All crashes?

Think I may have found a bug?
I've gone back to uae4all and tried to load the save state, "file not found".

Tried loading state when game had loaded up, tried all 4 save slots. They definitely worked before cos I tested. Only change is that I've turned the panda off since

1. Select "Terminal" from the Pandora menu.
2. type for example "cd /media/mmcblk01/uae4all" <Enter> (if you have unpacked the uae4all-folder directly to your 1st SD-card)
3. now type "./runme.sh" <Enter> to start UAE4All

After the crash something should be output in the terminal.

jonlad1 said:
Think I may have found a bug?
I've gone back to uae4all and tried to load the save state, "file not found".

Tried loading state when game had loaded up, tried all 4 save slots. They definitely worked before cos I tested. Only change is that I've turned the panda off since
The savestates are named after the floppy which is in DF0: at the point you're creating the savestate. Maybe when you've loaded the game you've inserted a different floppy into DF0: then was inside when you created the savestate?

So for example your test-savestates are "chaos engine (disk 1).adf.asf" but after you've loaded the game there is "chaos engine (disk 2).adf" in DF0:confused: In that case - just insert disk 1 again and try to load the savestate(s).

Problem solved cheers I didn't realize the folder had to be at the root of the ad. I was running it from the apps folder, thanks for your time.

craigix said:
I surely can't be the only one to think removing cyclone is a massive step backwards?

Well, Wizkid didn't run with cyclone ;)
Need to try it with the normal core.

If really everything is still fullspeed with 500MHz, then I have no prob with it. It should increase compatibility :)

However, for faster Amigas, Cyclone would be nice :D

Last edited:
john4p said:
@craigix: UAE4All is chock-full of SDL (for portability I reckon). Of course it could be replaced - a lot of work.
But there is no SDL used in the emulator's core components - "only" for gfx/sound output and control input. So it doesn't go "very deep".
I made some progress hitting the frame buffer directly and the control stuff shouldn't be too hard. The majority of the SDL graphics stuff is in the menu. A possible quick workaround would be to use the existing code and a bit of custom blitting to write the resulting SDL surface(s) to the FB.

Actually, I have two versions of chaos engine, one version the 2nd disk doesnt work so I used one versions disk one and the other versions disk two.

The time when I tried to load, I used the other versions disk one!!

Ok will try when I get home :)

EDIT: Donation made :)

john4p said:
1. Select "Terminal" from the Pandora menu.
2. type for example "cd /media/mmcblk01/uae4all" <Enter> (if you have unpacked the uae4all-folder directly to your 1st SD-card)
3. now type "./runme.sh" <Enter> to start UAE4All

After the crash something should be output in the terminal.
What about those that don't use XFCE?

Isn't there a quicker way to load like with an icon or something? That seems like alot of messing around :(

SteveM said:
I made some progress hitting the frame buffer directly and the control stuff shouldn't be too hard. The majority of the SDL graphics stuff is in the menu. A possible quick workaround would be to use the existing code and a bit of custom blitting to write the resulting SDL surface(s) to the FB.
Well, that alone would already definitely be faster than calling SDL_Softstretch (and look 100x better). I guess at 600-700MHz we could then have fullspeed Amiga emulation hardware-scaled.

jonlad1 said:
Donation made
:blink: Thanks, man! :)

DaveC said:
What about those that don't use XFCE?

Isn't there a quicker way to load like with an icon or something? That seems like alot of messing around
You don't have to use the terminal. You can call the runme.sh-script from the filemanager or create a shortcut on the desktop or in the Pandora's menu.
Dunno about minimenu (maybe you can call custom added shortcuts to the Pandora menu from minimenu).

[quote name='john4p' ]
You don't have to use the terminal. You can call the runme.sh-script from the filemanager or create a shortcut on the desktop or in the Pandora's menu.
Dunno about minimenu (maybe you can call custom added shortcuts to the Pandora menu from minimenu).
[/quote]
Ok thanks I will wait, XFCE is not my thing. Thanks for the update.

I open the file manager in mini menu and run the runme script through that.

Back