Beta Uae4All Additions

Yeah use the functions silver just pointed to. Cyclone in UAE should have them in as UAE was last thing I tested cyclone on.

PokeParadox said:
doh... I can't seem to get anything to run now I've finally setup UAE4All on my card...
Pres "A" to insert disk? Have you done that? I didn't know that either and nothing loaded. It isn't documented anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Addition IV: Savestates (and some other things)

this has been added/changed:
  • Savestates
  • change softstretch-modes on the fly
  • toggle fullscreen/windowed
  • UAE core instead of Cyclone
  • removed GP2X stuff
  • added description in load-menu (which button for which diskdrive)
  • maybe: EHB palette & HAM modes fix (because I've replaced a lot of sources with the ones from the N900-port where that has been fixed)

For Savestates use the new menu "Savestates" where you can save and load up to 4 savestates per game.
You can also "quicksave" with L-Trigger+S while emulating and "quickload" with L-Trigger+L. Quicksave and quickload will automatically use the currently selected savestate-slot in the Savestates-menu (initially always the first slot "0").

During emulation (outside the menu) you can switch between fullscreen- and windowed-mode by pressing F12 (that's Fn+P on your Pandora). Didn't test yet but it could be that the stylus works when you're in windowed mode.

At the start after selecting the refresh rate you now only get to decide between "Doubled Mode (fast)" and "Softstretched Modes":
"Doubled Mode" is just the default fast "320x240 pixels doubled to 640x480 pixels"-mode.
"Softstretched Modes" starts in "320x256 pixels stretched to 608x480 pixels"-mode (full PAL display).
During emulation you can now toggle between the four available softstretch-modes at any time:
  • L-Trigger + 1: 320x256 stretched to 608x480 (full PAL)
  • L-Trigger + 2: 320x216 stretched to 716x480 (full height for Turrican I&II and Beast II)
  • L-Trigger + 3: 320x200 stretched to 768x480 (using full height for 320x200 PAL games)
  • L-Trigger + 4: 320x200 stretched to 640x480 (NTSC mode for 320x200 NTSC games) ( ;) )
The window where you decide between "doubled mode" and "softstretched modes" also always displays info about this (plus explains how to use the vertical adjustment-feature).

So far I've only tested Hunter and Lotus and didn't notice them to run any slower than with Cyclone. (Note that FAME/C is still also partially used now.) Please give feedback about speed differences between this and the Cyclone-version.

Download the new version from here: http://www.filefront.com/16998573/uae4all.zip

Unpack it with "unzip -e uae4all.zip" somewhere on your SD-card.
Add your kickstart 1.3-file either named "kick13.rom" into the "kickstarts"-subdir or put it in the same dir where uae4all is and name it "kick.rom".
Put some ADFs into the "roms"-subdir.
Finally call ./runme.sh (from terminal or filemanager or create a shortcut to it).

edit: Didn't change the Readme yet. Just ignore the part about keyboard not working yet. It works fine (aside from the arrow-keys).

@silver & notaz: Thanks for the info. :)

Sweet jesus, that was quick!!!

Absolutely awesome, and change stretch on the fly!

This is brilliant, cant wait to saving Chaos Engine!!!

Thanks so much!

You're welcome.

Just tried Turrican: runs still fullspeed with frameskip 0 at 500MHz (in "doubled pixels"-mode).
The tearing-issue got a lot better now without Cyclone.

I understand why smokku took Cyclone out of the N900-port again.
Doesn't seem to make a big difference speedwise here (although Cyclone made Genesis-emulation on the GP32 fullspeed for many games).

Btw., should a game run too slow at frameskip 0 you can now just press F12 to switch to windowed mode, increase clock speed in XFCE and then press F12 again to switch back to fullscreen mode.

(Note: for softstretched modes you still have to use frameskip 1 and 750MHz.)

Just been testing it out and works brilliantly :)

I noticed quite a bit of tearing, but I'm sure once SDL is sorted that wont be an issue.

The button config changes are great, you've done well sir!!

Please let me know how I can donate

Cheers

DaveC said:
PokeParadox said:
doh... I can't seem to get anything to run now I've finally setup UAE4All on my card...
Pres "A" to insert disk? Have you done that? I didn't know that either and nothing loaded. It isn't documented anywhere.
Yes pressed A...

I just get stripy loading screen (like from cassette loaders) or I get crashed out of the emulator.
Perhaps my kickstarts are the wrong versions...?

That's what I thought, too, when smokku took it out of his Nokia N900-port and replaced it with "UAE-core". But I can't see a speed difference. Still fullspeed at 500MHz and frameskip 0 (default doubled mode). Only less tearing now in scrolling 2D-games.

Just try both versions.

john4p said:
That's what I thought, too, when smokku took it out of his Nokia N900-port and replaced it with "UAE-core". But I can't see a speed difference. Still fullspeed at 500MHz and frameskip 0. Only less tearing now in scrolling 2D-games.

Does it run at 50hz or 60hz as the default? That could cause some 2D games to act up I'd assume.

Reading back my old posts Cyclone gives something like 30% on GP2X, obviously losing that is much less noticeable on pandora than GP2X.

The tearing is side effect most likely, as it now takes longer to emulate a frame, the screen update happens later and LCD refresh is at more favorable point due to luck. Proper fix would be using doublebuffering instead of relying on things like that.

notaz said:
The tearing is side effect most likely, as it now takes longer to emulate a frame, the screen update happens later and LCD refresh is at more favorable point due to luck. Proper fix would be using doublebuffering instead of relying on things like that.
As long as it works. ;)

Doublebuffering in SDL is used though (sdlgfx.cpp uses SDL_Flip when updating the screen).

@Craig: 50Hz. But that shouldn't be the issue. I guess notaz nailed it.

Found a post by smoku on this Cyclone-matter (note: Pandora ~= Nokia N900):

http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showthread.php?t=50040&page=42 (last post):

smoku said:
mthmob said:
Is it possible to add both m68k and cyclone to uae? then have a gui switch to change between the 2

This would require a lot of work. They implement the same API and cannot coexist without significant changes.

But my testing shows that Cyclone does not really bring any speed advantage and it really is less compatible. Badly written games (such as Project X) do not work with Cyclone.

and later:

smoku said:
I did some testing and it looks the bottleneck is the OCS emulation code (together with Copper and Blitter), not the CPU core, so I will stick to UAE core as Cyclone has problems with programs doing weird things.

Bazza said:
1st thoughts are that the UAE m68k version is a much smoother ride the problems i have experienced may be down to a dodgy rom.

cyclone just seems too inconsistent with overall performance.

john4p said:
notaz said:
As long as it works. ;)

Doublebuffering in SDL is used though (sdlgfx.cpp uses SDL_Flip when updating the screen).

I'm not sure SDL supports doublebuffering properly yet.

Last edited:
Ah, that might explain some weird effects I encountered while adding the softstretched modes.

Hey guys having trouble getting this to work I can get the emulator to run but I am unable to move or select anything on the menu. Any ideas where I'm going wrong.

coevin said:
Hey guys having trouble getting this to work I can get the emulator to run but I am unable to move or select anything on the menu. Any ideas where I'm going wrong.
You're probably trying to directly execute "uae4all". Don't do that.
You need to execute runme.sh.

@craigix: UAE4All is chock-full of SDL (for portability I reckon). Of course it could be replaced - a lot of work.
But there is no SDL used in the emulator's core components - "only" for gfx/sound output and control input. So it doesn't go "very deep".

Back