Beta Uae4All Additions

silver said:
Have you got a link to the latest source? The link in the source thread seems to point to a no-cyclone version, whereas I think it is now an option?
I'll upload the latest sources this evening.

silver said:
Had a very quick look at drawing.cpp, which includes the profiling/frame limiting code. Are we compiling with auto_framerate or auto_profiler configured?
In the Makefile AUTO_FRAMERATE is commented out. AUTO_PROFILER is not in the makefile at all.

silver said:
And has anyone tested this stuttering when overclocked with auto framerate on/off? not sure what options you get in the gui (no pandora yet, sigh).
When you overclock slightly with UAE core the stutter will be gone for frameskip 0.
With frameskip 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or auto there is no stutter.

For Cyclone there is this weird behaviour: when you overclock the Cyclone-version a lot the audio begins to stutter. But you shouldn't have to overclock the Cyclone version (except for the softstretch modes - these run fine without stutter at 750MHz and frameskip 1 (25fps)).

jonlad1 said:
Can save states be implmented on cyclone or are they just incompatible?
Yes, they can be implemented, too. Silver pointed me to the appropriate Cyclone-function already.
I'll see in the next few days if I can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either I have real bad luck or very few things work for me. I tried the non-cyclone for compatibility and 50 Hz. The ones that don't work usually hang with a black screen (can go back into menu) or crash out to minimenu. Most get to the cracktro but after you hit a button to start it bites it. Anyone else geting these to work?

Firepower - works
Shadow of the beast - doesn't work
Voyager - doesn't work
Savage - doesn't work
Sidewinder - doesn't work
Arctic Fox - doesn't work
Blood Money - doesn't work
Datastorm - doesn't work
Rocket Attack - works
Stunt Car - Works.
Menace - doesn't work, crashes emu.

jonlad1 said:
You are a machine john ;)
Unfortunately not. Can't implement savestates into the Cyclone version.

Something seems generally broken with trying to restore savestates in the Cyclone-version.

It does never get to savestate.cpp's restore_state()-function. Crashes before with segmentation fault. Dunno where and why.
For the Cyclone-version I need to compile with a different memory.cpp and custom.cpp than for the UAE core. I guess the problem lies in one of these src-files.

Saving seems to work. Added this function to m68k_intrf.cpp and creating a savestate works (dunno if it's valid of course, since I never get to the point where it could be restored):

Code:
uae_u8 *save_cpu(int *len)
{
    *len = 128;
    void *save_buffer = malloc(128);
    CyclonePack(&m68k_context, save_buffer); //m68k_context is the Cyclone-struct
    return (uae_u8*)save_buffer;
}

When silver gets his Pandora maybe he can add savestate-support to the Cyclone-version. Or someone else...

@EvilDragon: found flawless working versions of Rock 'n Roll, Wizball and Wizkid (these aren't necessarily the only working ones)

Rock 'n Roll works perfect (Rock'n Roll (1989)(Rainbow Arts)[cr PNA][a])
Wizball works perfect (Wizball (1988)(Ocean)[cr Interpol][f AGA DCS])
Wizkid works perfect (Wizkid (1992)(Ocean)(M3)[cr TKK][m Bowen])

Wizkid takes about 10 minutes(!) to load though (as Craig stated).
So playing this with UAE core and creating a savestate after it has been loaded is highly recommended...

DaveC said:
Shadow of the beast - doesn't work
Voyager - doesn't work
Savage - doesn't work
Sidewinder - doesn't work
Arctic Fox - doesn't work
Blood Money - doesn't work
Datastorm - doesn't work
[...]
Menace - doesn't work, crashes emu.
Shadow of the Beast works perfect (Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)[cr PNA])
Sidewinder works perfect* (SideWinder (1988)(Mastertronic))
Blood Money works perfect* (Blood Money (1989)(Psygnosis)[cr Defjam - CCS - Spreadpoint])
Datastorm works perfect (Datastorm (1989)(Visionary Design))

* Sidewinder's and Blood Money's title screen are messed up. That's because the Amiga HAM mode isn't emulated properly in UAE4All (yet). After that "intro-screen" everything is flawless.

Shadow of the Beast doesn't support the additional disk drives. You have to put disk 2 into DF0: when you get prompted to do so (then disk 1 again and then disk 2 another time).

Menace works (Menace (1988)(Psyclapse)[cr Ackerlight][t +3 Ackerlight]) but you're invincible due to Menace having weird collision detection mode. That problem is inherited from the old UAE version which UAE4All is based upon. Menace is one of very, very few games having this problem.

Arctic Fox and Voyager don't work.

Won't do this searching-for-ADFs again - justed wanted to show that the majority of games work.
The ones that don't work are mostly ancient games which do some weird stuff (still also most of those titles work).

If a game is really important to you just get all the different available ADFs and try each one.
In most cases you'll find at least one working version.

Note: set "status ln" to "on" in "more options" to see the disk(s) being accessed.

Also in Joystick mode you can use "Super-Throttle" by holding L-Trigger first and then also holding the R-Trigger. Loads a bit faster.

silver said:
Have you got a link to the latest source?
Here it is now: http://www.filefront.com/17021129/uae4all_pandora_src.zip

It has both Cyclone and UAE M68K-core included.

Use the scripts "activate_cyclone.sh" and "activate_uaecore.sh" to copy the few different src-files both can't share (in this state) to set the sources in either Cyclone- or UAE Core-"mode".

Bugfix: in the last version the M68K softstretch UAE4All version only drew 240 lines (so 320x256-mode didn't work correctly). Here's the fixed version where 256 lines are drawn:

http://www.filefront.com/17021133/uae4all.zip

@EvilDragon: If we'd add "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 600" (or 599 to avoid the confirmation dialog) for the UAE-core version in the runme.sh-script it should run (almost) all games fullspeed with frameskip 0 and stutter-free sound.
Or is that against OpenPandora's rules? (600MHz isn't even overclocking the CPU.)

john4p said:
@EvilDragon: If we'd add "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 600" (or 599 to avoid the confirmation dialog) for the UAE-core version in the runme.sh-script it should run (almost) all games fullspeed with frameskip 0 and stutter-free sound.
Or is that against OpenPandora's rules? (600MHz isn't even overclocking the CPU.)

IIRC, the clockspeed should be specified by the user, or at least the pxml, not the runscript.

-God Ginrai

I'm still having trouble with save states, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

So I save my game (using either L + S or through the savestate menu) then might do a quick load if I die, which works fine. It loads the latest save state.

When I close UAE and then go back into it at a later time, I load the same game up (by using the exact same game disks ;)) and then try to load the latest save. It only loads the first save that I originally made on that game. Does that make sense? It doesnt load the latest save that I have made once UAE is closed, even though it worked when I first made the save, before closing UAE.

I am definitely choosing the correct savestate slot (I always pick 0)

Its like any new saves dont overwrite the original save made on that game.

I've tried this a couple of time and even tried deleting all relevant .asf's that are in my rom directory just in case they became corrupted or something, but it still does it.

Any ideas?

Cheers

God Ginrai said:
IIRC, the clockspeed should be specified by the user, or at least the pxml, not the runscript.
Thanks. Maybe I'll add overclocking options to the UAE4All menu later.
PXML probably won't work since there are 4 executables. For Cyclone doubled pixels 500MHz seems best, for UAE core doubled pixels it's 600MHz and for both softstretched versions 750MHz.

jonlad1 said:
Any ideas?
Yes - I'll look into it.

@jonlad1: Working fine here. But I don't use the PND.

Try to unpack this http://www.filefront.com/17021133/uae4all.zip again directly to your SD card (so you have /media/mmcblk01/uae4all). Put some ADF(s) in the "roms"-subdir and then execute the runme.sh-script.
Now quicksave a game multiple times with L-trigger + S and then load the state. The last one should be loaded.

If that works for you, too, then there has to be a problem with the PND.

Note: For savestates you don't have to load the disks up. Only emulation must've been started once (by selecting "Start" or "Reset" in the GUI). When you then put an ADF into DF0: you can directly enter the savestate-menu and load a state.

Also try removing everything except the roms-folder and kick.rom in the appdata-directory.
There might be some permission problems from an older version.

Haven't checked savestates myself, but I creates the PND so it should work.

Another slight suggestion for the emulator:
When you run a game, it always starts in mouse mode, which doesn't make sense since most use the nubs as mouse (I guess).

Wouldn't it be better if it would be in joystick mode as default when you run a game?

jonlad1 said:
Wouldn't it be better if it would be in joystick mode as default when you run a game?
Of course. Will be changed soon (wanted to do that already anyway).

New version: http://www.filefront.com/17033955/uae4all.zip

• Joystick mode is default now
  • START-button is now "Run" in main menu
  • removed unnecessary GP2X-hack where Enter&Space were sent when pressing the (A)-button

Nub is always mouse. You can still switch to dpad mouse emulation mode by pressing Start while emulating (if your nub is broken or you're a one-nubber or if you want to have L- and R-trigger as mouse buttons).

Thanks for the source....

So there is no graphics stutter at all with cyclone & OC, only sound stutter? It calls SDL_Delay to frame limit - assume we using SDL sound here?

Only other quick approach to the stuttering sound with Cyclone weirdness would be to configure the DEBUG_SOUND compile option (assuming it is still intact throughout the code) and see if anything is odd is getting reported. (Could be something weird, like pause_sound() and resume_sound() getting called when they should not - though again, can't see why OC would cause this.

john4p said:

• removed unnecessary GP2X-hack where Enter&Space were sent when pressing the (A)-button

Nub is always mouse. You can still switch to dpad mouse emulation mode by pressing Start while emulating (if your nub is broken or you're a one-nubber or if you want to have L- and R-trigger as mouse buttons).
This is great that your updating uae4all.Much appreciated
:)

damn... I switched arounf my kickstart files a bit and now I at least get the diskload image or the white hand with a disk...
however, any adf I try kicks me back to kickstart screen on UAE core and on cyclone crashes me out...

john4p said:

See? I said you are a machine ;)

Silver, when is your Pandora due?

I see collaborations on the horizon B)

Nothing but goods things for UAE4ALL

Back