The Pandora Port Request Thread

Someone should port Colors! DS to the Pandora. I have chatted with the developer over at the Colors! forums, and they showed interest in the Pandora, and was willing to talk to someone about porting. Possibly could be persuaded to make a Pandora version if someone could get them a unit to play with ;)

www.gnustep.org - a fun development environnement for objective-c. It would be nice to have on pandora. I suppose gnustep-base works just fine with sdl and permits a rapid game development.

It would be nice with a post like the "Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't" thread, but for ports, where we could list all ports that someone actually is working on or plan to start to work on as soon as they get their pandora.

some people have said they would like to see a program like guitar pro on the pandora and I don't know if this has been said before but power tab editor would probably be able to be ported since its open source

Hi all,

long time reader, but generally don't post (though i did pre-order...can't wait)

However i haven't noticed anyone mention (i could have just missed it) a Pandora port of FrontierGL or FEEGL, i believe the sources are available as there is a Frontier GL port for the GP2x and PSP (very slow though)

Would this be a viable proposition? - i reckon with the dual pads and keyboard it would work really well ...

I'd also love a port of MMDClone (The Mercenary/Damocles/Dion Crisis Clone for PC) but I'm not sure if the sources are available. - anybody know?

K

is anybody interested in KeePass?
and is anybody willing to port it?

main_big.png

its a open source password-management-tool
and it has already been portet to palmos, blackberry, and others
so it shouldnt be hard to port, right?

http://keepass.info

A game i think would be great to port is AstroMenace. its your typical top-down scrolling shmup, but has customisable ships and weapons, and has 3D graphics (in terms of models, gameplay is only in 2D).

Source code is available under the GPL here: http://www.viewizard.com/download.php?forceos=source

Screenshot to show the awesomeness:

(Image not embedded because too big)
http://www.viewizard.com/astromenace/am9.jpg

The only thing that may stop porting is the graphical requirements, it can be quite demanding when there's a large number of enemies/projectiles on the screen, but it could still work on the pandora.

Don´t know if these are posted yet.
But I would like Teeworlds, it´s a Lierolike game :)
http://www.teeworlds.com/

and I would like to see the classic Wormux on the pandora also :)

As many know the playstation game Warzone 210o was released around 2004 or something for free
and teh source also under GNU GLP :)
http://wz2100.net/

Can´t think of anything more at :)

//som99

http://playubuntu.com/linux-games-/809.html

Wolfenstein enemy territory!

I believe some source code were released for modding. Not sure if the source of the game itself is available.. though the game is free.

hmm can the pandora handle it?

recommended, glibc >= 2.1 - 2.3 recommended)
Running a recent and mainstream distribution is recommended
Intel Pentium III 600Mhz processor or equivalent
128 MB RAM
Hard Disk drive with at least 230Mb of disk space
OSS compatible sound card
A 100% full OpenGL compliant 3-D video card and Linux driver

kin said:
Wolfenstein enemy territory! I believe some source code were released for modding. Not sure if the source of the game itself is available.. though the game is free.
According to the (not always correct) Wikipedia, Wolf:ET uses a modified Return to Castle Wolfenstein engine, which itself uses a Quake 3:Team Arena engine. The ET engine is closed source but the game logic is provided so people can make mods. The RTCW engine is closed. The Q3:TA engine is open source.

You can always dig into things based on the Quake 3 engine instead, which is being ported. There have been active discussions on FPS for the Panda, so I suspect you'll find some interesting things have been ported not long after it comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again,

@som99, As a player of Teeworlds and the maintainer of packages of it in Debian and Ubuntu, I really must agree with you, it'd be awesome on the Pandora...

So I asked matricks (The lead developer of Teeworlds) about a Pandora version of Teeworlds, and he said he had managed to privately get it working on a GP2X. So a Pandora version looks good :p

Here's a log of the conversation on IRC:

CODE
<jscinoz> so matricks, you said you actually managed to get teeworlds working on a gp2x?
<void_> server only as far as I know
<jscinoz> hmm
<jscinoz> hmm
<jscinoz> the actual client though, could probably be ported to the pandora quiet easily, i remember you said the opengl features it uses are nearly entirely covered by OpenGL ES 2.0?
<void_> entierly i think
<void_> maybe have to yse some different function names though
<void_> mipmap generation might not be covered though
<jscinoz> so rough estimate, hypothetically if you guys had a devkit and started working on a port now, how long and how difficult would you expect it to be?
<jscinoz> and do you have any intention of an actual port at some point.
<matricks> jscinoz: I would say that it probably would take a week. rough estimate
<jscinoz> oh nice :) and matricks, any intention of doing said port? I could probably try hope, i know a small bit of C++, could be an interesting learning experience :p
<matricks> jscinoz: I have no intention, but if I get a hold of a pandora.. it would be the first thing I would do :p
<jscinoz> ah i see. So if i were to attempt this, its really just the renderer that needs to be ported to OpenGL ES? There are no weird architecture things that have to be dealt with for arm?
<matricks> well, arm is big endian.. but that should be solved by now
<matricks> porting to opengl es shouldn
<matricks> shouldn't be a problem
<jscinoz> ah ok thanks for the info, i might familiarise myself with the pandora (preordered one but obviously dont have it yet :() and see if i can get it to work with the opengl es wrapper thing.
<jscinoz> btw, someone was asking on the GP2X forums about teeworlds on pandora, can i post this conversation in that thread?
<matricks> use
<matricks> one thing yuo might have todo is to scale the graphics a bit
<matricks> use= sure
<jscinoz> ah thanks
<jscinoz> hmm
<matricks> scale down textures etc
<jscinoz> ah
<jscinoz> wasnt sure what you meant by scale
<jscinoz> due to the lower RAM available?

In case you didn't glean it from the above, I'm going to try my hand at porting Teeworlds to Pandora, obviously I don't have a Pandora or a devboard, but I can at least port to OpenGL ES and test with the wrapper just fine.

No guarantees however if it will be completed or not, I'm kind of low on free time with school returning and starting my final year (NSW schools are weird like that, the final year starts in the last term of the year before >_<)

Regards,
jscinoz

jscinoz said:
In case you didn't glean it from the above, I'm going to try my hand at porting Teeworlds to Pandora, obviously I don't have a Pandora or a devboard, but I can at least port to OpenGL ES and test with the wrapper just fine.

No guarantees however if it will be completed or not, I'm kind of low on free time with school returning and starting my final year (NSW schools are weird like that, the final year starts in the last term of the year before >_<)

Regards,
jscinoz
Nice! I would love to play Teeworlds on pandora.

Oh and 1+ for tetrinet (I think it was mentioned somewhere early in this thread) and maybe blobtrix , since it uses SDL it should be an easier port.

Btw, i found an old thread about tetrinet for GP32: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mode=linearplus
Since the GP32 didn't have easy internet access, maybe it wasn't so strange that the project died, but now with pandoras built in wifi it will be alot more fun :)

I have never heard of teeworlds and after reading your post i decided to check it out on youtube and emmm .. well it looks great,worms meets supersmashbros meets quake3 with a little bionic commando in there,multiplayer looks like a hell of a lot of fun - im gonna look at this game further to see it i can play it on windows,thanks for letting us all know about your progress with the port.

Paddy

What solution do you have for multiplayer support??

Is anybody about to port RAKNET or another powerful lib for networking?

I recently came across the Dizzyage game engine, which essentially allows you to relatively easily piece together games in the style of the old C64/Speccy/Amiga Dizzy games (for those who don't know, its a kind of platform/puzzle/adventure crossover series).

The system can use either DirectX or OpenGL for rendering graphics and whilst it's not open source, the source is available to anybody who has created and published a game with the system. The site also states that they are open to possibility of the engine being ported to other systems.

I've played around with the system and managed to build an almost complete game in just a few hours. I think it'd be a great platform for Pandora. There are some slightly bizarre limitations to the system at the moment which would need to be overcome to make the engine really suitable for Pandora (for instance rooms can only be a maximum room size of 256x192. The default display is 320*240 and scaled up etc..), but it would open up a large library of homebrew games which have already been made by the engine. And it could encourage people to create more. It would finally allow me to realize my dream game: Dizzyana Jones and the Last Crusade!

Any idea on hoe easy or difficult it might be to port/manipulate?

btw don't be put off by the crude graphics on the website. The engine is quite capable of rendering at 32-bit. It's just that most games created with the system stick to the 'old school' Dizzy tileset.

Would it be possible to port Savage ?

The minimum requirements are:
CPU: 600 MHz processor
Memory: 128 MB RAM

and there's a community port for Linux too, so it seems it's either open source or they give the source to people who want to port it.

Mptr said:
Would it be possible to port Savage ?

The minimum requirements are:
CPU: 600 MHz processor
Memory: 128 MB RAM

and there's a community port for Linux too, so it seems it's either open source or they give the source to people who want to port it.

No. That's not because it runs with linux that it's free ! (and i don't think it's a community port, where did you read this ?)

Pleng said:
I recently came across the Dizzyage game engine, which essentially allows you to relatively easily piece together games in the style of the old C64/Speccy/Amiga Dizzy games (for those who don't know, its a kind of platform/puzzle/adventure crossover series).

The system can use either DirectX or OpenGL for rendering graphics and whilst it's not open source, the source is available to anybody who has created and published a game with the system. The site also states that they are open to possibility of the engine being ported to other systems.

I've played around with the system and managed to build an almost complete game in just a few hours. I think it'd be a great platform for Pandora. There are some slightly bizarre limitations to the system at the moment which would need to be overcome to make the engine really suitable for Pandora (for instance rooms can only be a maximum room size of 256x192. The default display is 320*240 and scaled up etc..), but it would open up a large library of homebrew games which have already been made by the engine. And it could encourage people to create more. It would finally allow me to realize my dream game: Dizzyana Jones and the Last Crusade!

Any idea on hoe easy or difficult it might be to port/manipulate?

btw don't be put off by the crude graphics on the website. The engine is quite capable of rendering at 32-bit. It's just that most games created with the system stick to the 'old school' Dizzy tileset.

YES.
DIZZY. FOR. LIFE.

Back