The Pandora Port Request Thread

how about a port of the Miro internet media player? It's opensource, there is a Linux version and it just meets the requirements.

hells_dark said:
No. That's not because it runs with linux that it's free ! (and i don't think it's a community port, where did you read this ?)
Sorry, it said support for the linux installation support, not linux installation.

But in theory it would work if someone had the source, since it runs on OpenGL and has minimum requirement that could work on the pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mptr said:
But in theory it would work if someone had the source, since it runs on OpenGL and has minimum requirement that could work on the pandora.
Maybe but nobody has got the source, so.. don't think about it.

well, ask them ^^

As far as I know, making savage 1 free of cost was advertisement of savage 2 and some people are still supporting savage 1.
The Studio is actually very friendly and they have a great attitude, you may just ask them :)

Theone said:
Firefox said:
Theone said:
Firefox said:
Remember that 128MB of SDRAM is a lot more than any other handheld console - nearly double that of even the latest versions of the PSP, in fact.
And is the same as the apple Iphone. Might i add.

Is that a console...? :)

well no not really lol, but it is a handheld device ^^. If apple had changed it slightly, it would have had potential to be used well in gaming.

Still Pandora has much more potential, the same amount of ram as the iphone, but the other specs beat it by miles.

(The actual point i was making is that the iphone has the same amount of ram that the pandora has, but that doesnt hold it back)

If you need more ram, I am SURE there is a feature already out (or easily creatable) to utilize SD cards as ram... and as cheap as 2GB cards are, burning out a 2GB card for "swap space" is not an expensive option...

for those that dont know the source is available here

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbth...ge=1#Post186323

a while back the folks at the pit were working on a new Linux port but that project got staled after they decided it be more productive to externalise all the unit ,item data to xml instead of hard coded..

this was always one of my fav tactical games along with xcom.. i do know its pretty memory hungry in its original state , but from those of you with more experience with the hardware/code on the pandora would something like this be a possibility or not ?

mmalficia said:

a while back the folks at the pit were working on a new Linux port but that project got staled after they decided it be more productive to externalise all the unit ,item data to xml instead of hard coded..

this was always one of my fav tactical games along with xcom.. i do know its pretty memory hungry in its original state , but from those of you with more experience with the hardware/code on the pandora would something like this be a possibility or not ?

O nice, did not know the source code has been released.

JA2 is still one of the better ( /best ) tactical turn based games. Yea, thats one of those oldies that looks to be a good fit on the Pandora. But seeing that there is no port made, i don't expect to see one on the Pandora. From the look of it, even on the JA Community forum, the response to it is rather low. I think that the source release has been flying under the radar of most people.

mmalficia said:
more informitive than a req :>

theres alot of folks asking for xcom and seem a bit bummed that the dosbox version might be a bit iffy .. so i did a look around the net and outa what i found these seem to be the best prospects for a port

http://www.xforce-online.de/index.php

http://www.projectxenocide.com/index.html

http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=Home

xforce is the most polished but its in german i think :>

the other 2 are in varying states..

all have a linux version and all have source available .. so least there might be some hope of a xcom esqe port of some sort someday :>

I have played both xforce and ufo:alien invasion. I love ufo:ai and would realy like seeing it ported to the pandora especialy for the multyplayer.
I didnt realy like Xforce so much but I can see hardcore ufo fans prefering it.

E:Also yay for Teeworlds possibly being ported.

mmalficia said:

The big problem wouldn't be the engine. There's stuff already out there using the engine (JA2-Stracciatella, JA2-v113, etc...)- the big deal is getting the assets in hand to do this, something that hasn't been released to the public like the game's sources were.

If someone's willing to allow the assets to be distributed freely, or if the rights holders are willing to allow a publisher for Linux/Pandora to do something of that nature, then you're going to have to find an old copy to be legit.

It'll run great if someone ports it. Probably an easy port, too, since it's already ported to maemo. Of course you can't distribute it with the assets. That goes without saying, but the game, itself, is still widely available.

Svartalf said:
The big problem wouldn't be the engine. There's stuff already out there using the engine (JA2-Stracciatella, JA2-v113, etc...)- the big deal is getting the assets in hand to do this, something that hasn't been released to the public like the game's sources were.

If someone's willing to allow the assets to be distributed freely, or if the rights holders are willing to allow a publisher for Linux/Pandora to do something of that nature, then you're going to have to find an old copy to be legit.
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business is being sold online at GOG for $5, perhaps they will put up Jagged Alliance 2 one day. :)

I think JA2 Gold comes with Unfinished Business so that should be enough to port?

I really don't know anything about the games but they do look good and I would definitely purchase them if the engine was ported to pandora.

surt said:
Straciatella should certainly make porting a feasible proposition.

I got Stracciatella working on the Xbox and it is great :) It's a shame that the development stopped months ago :(

surt said:
JA2 Gold is available on steam with the assets easy to grab.

Straciatella should certainly make porting a feasible proposition.

Yep, that looks about right, of course this is a little concerning...
=================
Q: Why is it limited to x86?
A: At the moment the code is dependent on little endian, 32bit architecture and no strict alignment (Sir-Tech didn't intend to use it on anything else than x86). It is planned to fix this limitation.
=================
But maybe some brave soul can engage them for assistance
=================
Q: I want to ask questions/talk about a bug/just talk to you guys. Are you on IRC somewhere?
A: Yes, we are on IRC. We opened a channel named #ja2-stracciatella on irc.gamesurge.net.
=================

ingrin said:
Yep, that looks about right, of course this is a little concerning...
=================
Q: Why is it limited to x86?
A: At the moment the code is dependent on little endian, 32bit architecture and no strict alignment (Sir-Tech didn't intend to use it on anything else than x86). It is planned to fix this limitation.
=================
But maybe some brave soul can engage them for assistance
I understand the P to be little endian and 32-bit, though I'm not sure what is meant by "no strict alignment" (strict alignment only addressing in 32 bit units perhaps?) or whether the P falls into that category.

I was wondering if anyone had considered OpenMW port to the pandora, sure I know it's not done and it would involve getting ogre to render to ogl es 2 AND finding an arm D compiler, but if people are interested maybe we can stir up some developer interest in this project. I'm assuming it'll run because there was an xbox port of the original and it only has 64mb ram.

Back