the open pandora 2 must use an amd apu!

Here in germany, 0-200 is where it counts :p

There is no particularly difficult challenge of beating an ICE car to 200MPH either, it would just be a case of different gearing.

The elegance of electric cars means ICE just can't win in the long term.

I am looking forward to BMWs electric car range, I like BMW.

Can you afford one?

No, unless the UK government extend they EV scheme which allows you to offeset your tax against an EV lease.

But rumour is that it ends in 2015.

On the topic of the off topic ;p

The tesla would never beat an M5 on the track no question about it.

and there is a LOT more that goes into getting a car to go past 150mph than changing the gear ratio

I know its just an example tho :)

That being said ARM all the way

all that low down torque means that corner exit speed would much faster, not to mention the low center of of gravity, the only way the tesla would lose is if the were doing a top speed run

all that low down torque means that corner exit speed would much faster, not to mention the low center of of gravity, the only way the tesla would lose is if the were doing a top speed run

Or a drive from here to Vancouver (300k-ish) away.

and there is a LOT more that goes into getting a car to go past 150mph than changing the gear ratio

The Tesla would kill an M5 on the track, the battery makes up the floor of the car, the M5 could never compete with that sort of low centre of gravity, handling and grip.

The only place, as MC said, that the M5 would get the edge would be on top speed.

But then the ModelS isn't even a sports car, it's a family hatch back, it's a 7 seater!

Wait until Tesla do a super car and if you think the M5 was embarrassed in that drag race, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And 300k? As in Km? It can go 300 miles.

And all this from a new car company and this is its first real car. Think about that for a bit to understand what an advantage electric drive gives.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://hardware.slas...-cpu-production

Also, ARM cpus are added to x86 hardware, not the contrary.

Finally, ARM was better designed from the very beginning than x86, that's why x86 stands no chance.

That said, i like my PC.

Agreed that ARM is better designed, I think RISC > CISC and always have. However at some point it's all about electrons, paths and which 'team' has optimized better.

Not saying we're there yet, but one of my favourite concepts in Sci-fi is matter as a computer. Peter F Hamilton described ascension to the final plane as adapting your consciousness to overlay onto the optimal matter based computer. The more matter, the 'faster' the computer. Just food for thought. :)

Even if you get your electricity from coal it's still far cleaner and efficient than an oil burning engine.

probably true.

power stations can hit 95% efficiency, electric engines are generally around 90% efficient, most of the loss will be in the wires to get to your house and battery charger.

in comparison gasoline engines in cars are barely 35% energy efficient, diesels 45%, gasoline hybrids are also around 45% efficient.

so you can have a lot of loss in the wires/charger/batteries before it drops to gasoline efficiency levels.

It also takes a lot of energy to make petrol and diesel, which is also a lossy process.

Then it has to be transported to the filling stations.

It's amazingly inefficient when you start to look at it in detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
to get back on the CPU topic, my 2 cents: I don't care as long as we have a much better GPU.

the current GPU is too weak.

right now it would need to be at least 4x as fast with the current pandora's resolution to be called "decent".

what the VITA has is "acceptable" (as long as you don't have alpha and battery issues left aside)

memory bandwidth also needs to be higher, at least 2x and then scale it up with the screen resolution relative to OP1.

its too slow to render normal maps, shadow maps, bloom effects and other goodies on OP1 at screen resolution.

The Tesla would kill an M5 on the track, the battery makes up the floor of the car, the M5 could never compete with that sort of low centre of gravity, handling and grip.

The only place, as MC said, that the M5 would get the edge would be on top speed.

But then the ModelS isn't even a sports car, it's a family hatch back, it's a 7 seater!

Wait until Tesla do a super car and if you think the M5 was embarrassed in that drag race, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And 300k? As in Km? It can go 300 miles.

And all this from a new car company and this is its first real car. Think about that for a bit to understand what an advantage electric drive gives.

They are amazing cars i do admire the engineering. Although center of gravity and weight distribution was going to be one of my arguments, have you ever seen the tesla in real track conditions?

Top gear didn't even get through 10minutes of driving before the motors were overheating as well as the batteries. <- that was the old model tho don't know if they have since went back to the drawing board

I do like the near infinite amount of torque they can produce- would never trade an staged turbo S54M tuned inline 6 for an electric engine until i see an E car win Le Mans

You like high stall torque?

%24%28KGrHqJHJBcE63Vgy76LBOzOC4b02w~~60_35.JPG

efficiency? low emitions? high top speed? - who needs them

This beauty has oodles of power and pretty lights!

The prototype that has my eye is the Fisker Atlantic. I love the design - I'm not sold on their engine choice.

I'd like to see something with those design elements and a single-speed diesel electric generator capable of supplying 120% of the current needed for continuous travel at 80mph into a 40mph headwind. I.e. enough for travel and re-topping the batteries. Combine that with four in-wheel motors to eliminate the entire drive train.

Then the batteries get used for acceleration (on-ramp) and the diesel can be tuned for maximum efficiency at a single RPM.

By using the batteries for acceleration (and recapture on deceleration) the performance should be very good - as long as you're not needing to 'stoplight drag'. I.e. it wouldn't be great for repeated quarter mile attempts, but for an on-ramp, 20 minute drive to destination standard commute - it should be just fine.

to get back on the CPU topic, my 2 cents: I don't care as long as we have a much better GPU.

the current GPU is too weak.

right now it would need to be at least 4x as fast with the current pandora's resolution to be called "decent".

what the VITA has is "acceptable" (as long as you don't have alpha and battery issues left aside)

memory bandwidth also needs to be higher, at least 2x and then scale it up with the screen resolution relative to OP1.

its too slow to render normal maps, shadow maps, bloom effects and other goodies on OP1 at screen resolution.

You'd have to be really scraping the low end to end up with a GPU that isn't at least 4x faster than Pandora's, especially the original 600MHz..

Would you really need to hit all those render targets off-tile? It shouldn't get forced into system memory unless you do something in between the draw calls that makes this happen.

You'd have to be really scraping the low end to end up with a GPU that isn't at least 4x faster than Pandora's, especially the original 600MHz..

Would you really need to hit all those render targets off-tile? It shouldn't get forced into system memory unless you do something in between the draw calls that makes this happen.

they're both targets and sources.

realtime shadow map has to be rendered, then written to RAM, then re-read from RAM as a texture

bloom has to be rendered, then written to RAM, then re-read from RAM as a texture

and normal maps have to be read from RAM then processed in a shader

(memory bandwidth is already low and shaders are already rather slow)

but the main problem is if the screen has 4x the pixels, then the GPU would also need to be 4x as powerfull just to keep up with performance on the original 600Mhz pandora.

so to get 4x the OP1's GPU power proportionally you'd need something 16x as powerfull.

Regardless, there isn't an intrinsic reason any of that has to go off-tile, if you have enough tile memory to support each render target, or it's known that one target is no longer being used and can be released mid-scene (the texture cache should also be capable of hitting the tile memory). That's not to say that's how it actually works though.

Back