How about a next gen Atom for the Pandora 2 ?

How about a next gen Atom for the Pandora 2 ?

• Great idea !

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Only if it gets the performances of a 2 GHZ Core 2 Duo and at least 5 hours runtime

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Either way, NO !

Votes: 37 75.5%

• Total voters

I think one thing to note about the Medfield chip is that it is a single core (though hyper threaded), this could make it easier to use the available processing power without haveing to worry about multi-threading.

I think one thing to note about the Medfield chip is that it is a single core (though hyper threaded), this could make it easier to use the available processing power without haveing to worry about multi-threading.

Yeah, but if a single 1.5GHz Cortex-A9 core is already more powerful is that really a good thing?

That second core is good to have even if you don't thread your application, or don't thread it very much. It can collect OS stuff, and you can use it to soak up all the GPU driver overhead. Just dropping a second core into a Pandora would make a huge difference for a slightly modified mupen64plus, for instance.

Four cores is less generally useful though..

I can kinda see wanting to run windows and mainstream software on a Pandora - but No, ARM makes so much more sense!

As long as they can't make them low power and cheap enough at least... the day you could wine modern software on such hardware would really justify using a so bad architecture, assuming decent battery life... and sorry, but even using wine on a crappy medfield is for sure much better in term of performance than running qemu on a fancy Cortex A15..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back