Beaming out the Audiophile Signal again.

AquaAnalogue

I am looking for a decent 2.1 system for my new gaming/media rig. If you know of a product that will satisfy the following conditions please drop your suggestions in the box and give your reasons.

I want to keep it under 100 USD, but if it's a really really good system I might be able to justify some slack. My price cutoff has an "asymptote" around $120, mathematically speaking.

I don't want to skimp because I know if I buy the $8.99 speakers from ChinkyChanTech with the raving 2-star reviews, they'll rival the Tin Man in tinnyness.

I don't know if it's possible with under $100 to hear the difference between FLAC and MP3, but if it is, make that my goal.

My music preferences, if they are relevant, are poorly and very-nontechnically summarised in this...

Basically everything but rap and country. I don't have favourite genres, bands, or albums-- I have favourite songs. My favourites tend to hover around electronic *thump thump* stuff, but also blissful electronic synth choir stuff that makes me feel like I'm swimming inside the music. Think "trance anthems" if you must. Huge fan of "wall of sound"-like effects. Not too much into the "wow buhwuh wow buhwuh wowowow" dubstep stuff, and definitely do NOT listen to music where the only musical value, if any, derives from bass (yes, you, rap/hip-hop... I fart in your general direction).

Also if I ever watch a movie I like to hear the explodey things and feel them if possible.

Never mind, I am an impatient bastard and found the reviews for this one to be particularly stunning... I guess I'll take my chances. With 50 dollars off, I pretty much bump up into the next class of equipment for free... and the reviews are mostly wonderful so why not.

My music preferences (...) tend to hover around electronic *thump thump* stuff, but also blissful electronic synth choir stuff that makes me feel like I'm swimming inside the music. Think "trance anthems" if you must. Huge fan of "wall of sound"-like effects.

If you haven't already auditioned these, then let a sonic pedant point you in the direction of:

Torch Song - Toward The Unknown Region (1994)

(also see much of William Orbit's output from 'Strange Cargo - Hinterland onward)

Laurie Mayer - Black Lining (2006)

And for electronica with that wall of sound impact, everything from Ulrich Schnauss. Particularly these two (make sure you go for the 2008/9 remasters - these CDs have been issued 3 times!)

Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place (2008 remaster)

Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye (2009 Remaster)

Possibly too:

Trentemøller - The Last Resort (2006)(Find the 2CD version!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Logitech kit usually delivers for the price so that should be pretty good.

Give Yello a try. They've been pioneers in electronic music for decades.

This link has a few video snippets from the failry recent album "Touch" all wrapped up in a cool flash page.

If you've not heard of them have a listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey7tGRFLpPE you may know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back