The long road to a final unit

Well, you can use Android and touch-focussed stuff with a resistive screen but you cannot do Linux with a capacitive one.

So a resistive works for both, a capacitive one only for one.

Why not put a capacitive one on the display and a resistive one on top?

Best of both worlds. Just select the touchlayer you want to use in software and disable the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume it's due to several factors. Cost, complexity, and interference. This is just my guess as to why this hasn't been done before. That, or patents. Would be cool to have both though.

Best of both worlds. Just select the touchlayer you want to use in software and disable the other one.
Yes! And while we're at it, put a inductive layer behind it!

Why should there be interference if you disable the one you don't use?

And... who would BUILD that?

And cover the costs?

Would increase everything by about 30 - 40 EUR per unit.

Seems like the #1 reason Illuminerdi wants a capacitive screen is because they are perfectly transparent and don't interfere with the image at all, whereas a resistive membrane is going to have at least some minimal distortion which he claims to be able to see. I question whether that would stand up to rigorous testing, but regardless, having both would immediately remove that particular benefit of the capacitive screen making it less interesting.

The only flawless solution is Wacom. Both pure resistive or capacitive are having their downfalls. I will be happy to pay even a 200 euros more, if a Wacom touch is implemented in Pyra.

I will be happy to pay even a 200 euros more, if a Wacom touch is implemented in Pyra.
Not everyone is behind you on that idea, If It could save some money, I'd buy one without a touch screen layer.

I hope the resistive screen will be good enough to draw decently on it, other than that I don't really see the benefit of a Wacom solution.

Because it is the best from both worlds with extreme precision as a bonus. :)

I will not use the touchscreen, I hate to touch the screen because it cover it and soil it that's one of the reason I don't like smartphones, also you have to release the Pyra with one hand. I will master the left nub as mouse with action buttons as clicks, left nub to move the page and center click.

Pyra will be the first real pocket pc: a screen+keyboard+mouse in your pocket

A-si is an option to LTPS. See http://web.mit.edu/lira/www/fall02_indStudy/technical_info.pdf

As for TN panels, they are very fast, and would be a good choice provided the quality was good.

No digitizer or touchlayer is transparent. Other than surface wave you no can haz an optically perfect solution.

(Provided the nubs work) i am tempted by the idea of removing it upon purchase for that reason.

I think IGZO panels arent better than LTPS, and that OLED can not be had since apple has bought into japan display.

There is also the AHVA MHVA and whatnot stuff, but i havent seen anything small with that technology.

AFFS+ is supposedly better in sunlight, which is a very good idea for something that isnt a desktop.

Also, the pixel density being lower (293ppi) could make it possible to have a matte surface on the touchscreen layer.

I will be happy to pay even a 200 euros more, if a Wacom touch is implemented in Pyra.
Not everyone is behind you on that idea, If It could save some money, I'd buy one without a touch screen layer.
I might support that idea.  The only things I can currently think of that I would use the touchscreen for are mentioned in this thread (drawing and games), as well as DS games (I have access to every version of the DS except the New 3Ds and the XLs), and one Android program that would work better on other devices.

personnaly, i am a full pro-resistive because you can take notes and draw schema with the stylus in the same way as a real pen on paper.

with capacitive you can't.

even with special stylus for capacitive screens (having big tip of pen) your hand mustn't touch the screen because the contact draw lines and points. it is not natural.

Back